Help wanted please - Piko bogie

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, about a year ago, I bought a Piko DB goods wagon. It's one of those types that I think, carry steel coils ?
I got it cheaply, as one of the bogies was broken and I just put it away, at the time, as I didn't have any track and was too busy working to do any modelling just at that time.
A couple of weeks ago, I got a Piko starter set for for Christmas and now, I want to have a look at getting the wagon repaired, so I can put it on my layout (not that it can go very far, as the layout is only 54" long), but the wagon, is such a lovely model).
I had a look on the Piko website, but, it turns out, they won't send the replacement bogie out to me, as I live in the UK.
I've been in contact with Gauge master, here in the UK, as they import Piko, but they are unable to help as well and so, I just wondered where to turn next ?
Can anyone advise please? Many thanks. SAM_0321.JPG
SAM_0329.JPGSAM_0330.JPG

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
PIKO.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, about a year ago, I bought a Piko DB goods wagon. It's one of those types that I think, carry steel coils ?
I got it cheaply, as one of the bogies was broken and I just put it away, at the time, as I didn't have any track and was too busy working to do any modelling just at that time.
A couple of weeks ago, I got a Piko starter set for for Christmas and now, I want to have a look at getting the wagon repaired, so I can put it on my layout (not that it can go very far, as the layout is only 54" long), but the wagon, is such a lovely model).
I had a look on the Piko website, but, it turns out, they won't send the replacement bogie out to me, as I live in the UK.
I've been in contact with Gauge master, here in the UK, as they import Piko, but they are unable to help as well and so, I just wondered where to turn next ?
Can anyone advise please? Many thanks. View attachment 308826
View attachment 308823View attachment 308824
I've got a box with some Piko bogies in somewhere, but not sure about that particular type. Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can find.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I hope Mike can help you. Not sure why Gaugemaster can't help you, what is the point of a distributor if they can't order parts for you from the manufacturer, after all PIKO.de have them in stock?
A few PIKO dealers in the EU do ship to UK but it will cost a fair bit if you just want one part.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Mike, that is really helpful :)
Quick question Simon. I assume you have the necessary wheels. Do you have both of the bogie sideframes and are they undamaged? If so and I don't have the correct pattern, I might be able to provide just a central 'spine/pivot' piece to replace the broken one.

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike, yes it is just the spine/pivot that I need. The bogie sides look to be ok. The chap I bought the model from, said the package arrived somewhat crushed in the post and he never got round to doing anything with a repair. I hope the wheels are not pushed out of gauge. They do look to be ok

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have a multitude of 30mm PIKO plastic wheels if you need some. No charge just postage.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo Simon and welcome to the forum.

I have 3 of these wagons, but no spare bogies I'm afraid. I'm happy to help with any photos that might help you repair the damage.

The wheels and axles should be fine to re-use. I replaced the Piko plastic wheels with Bachmann/Lilliput metal ones....

20200517_133908.jpg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Gizzy Gizzy metal wheels are better but if you are just starting out plastic is fine, you can upgrade later if you want. Two pairs of metal wheels will probably set you back more than you paid for the wagon!

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy. I might replace my wheels at a later time, once I get the model repaired. It's something I had not really thought about up to now, but metal wheels always sound good and they don't seem to attract dirt as much as plastic wheels. They are rally impressive models. I love your pic of three, they look terrific :)

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I like these wagons as well. I did a writeup of them recently in this thread:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If all of the offers of replacement parts fail a repair would be possible. Normal blues are tricky with the plastics involved in outpr scale, by-ut Inhave found UV glue to be a very good bet for such repairs. This Bostic one is new to me, I normally get from Amazon where the glue is in one tube with a blue or orange top.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It may well be worth changing the wheels now, if you can afford to, saves having to dismantle the bogies again later.

Reactions: 1 users

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
If all of the offers of replacement parts fail a repair would be possible. Normal blues are tricky with the plastics involved in outpr scale, by-ut Inhave found UV glue to be a very good bet for such repairs. This Bostic one is new to me, I normally get from Amazon where the glue is in one tube with a blue or orange top.
That is useful to know, I bought some u/v glue a few years ago but it was useless and failed to set. All I got was sticky gunge on everything, including me! Since then I have shied away from it but, I will probably have another go using the Bostk version.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike, yes it is just the spine/pivot that I need. The bogie sides look to be ok. The chap I bought the model from, said the package arrived somewhat crushed in the post and he never got round to doing anything with a repair. I hope the wheels are not pushed out of gauge. They do look to be ok
Hi Simon, just back from an expedition into my garage. I found the box - there are 14 identical PIKO bogies, but as I suspected the sideframes are different. The central spine bears part number 38600-0421 which indicates it is from the Jackson Sharp type US coach range, but having dismantled it there doesn't seem to be too much difference to that in your photo apart from the protruding plastic pin which I assume was to restrict the pivoting arc. It's difficult to be certain about the measurements but as a first step if you could unscrew your sideframes and coupling so we can see the two bare pieces of the broken bit that would be a starting point. If it looks feasible I can then post this part to you and if it fits you can send the damaged bits back as I think I can effect a decent enough repair to reconstruct my bogie for future use. If it turns out my one won't fit your needs then just send it back and no-one's any worse off. Piccies below for your information - not that good, but difficult to take a decent close-up.
P1110030 (2).JPGP1110031 (2).JPGP1110032 (2).JPGP1110033 (2).JPGP1110034 (2).JPGP1110035 (2).JPGP1110036 (2).JPGP1110037 (2).JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That is useful to know, I bought some u/v glue a few years ago but it was useless and failed to set. All I got was sticky gunge on everything, including me! Since then I have shied away from it but, I will probably have another go using the Bostk version.
Hm I wonder what we t wrong, perhaps you used too much? I do tend to use it sparingly and probably allow slightly longer than recommended with the light on it. I find a bit on the break one side then push parts together and 15-20 seconds of waving light works. For the bogie bits I would do that to set, then some on top of the break both sides to strengthen the join. A little bit of wire in the second application could do no harm either.

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Simon, just back from an expedition into my garage. I found the box - there are 14 identical PIKO bogies, but as I suspected the sideframes are different. The central spine bears part number 38600-0421 which indicates it is from the Jackson Sharp type US coach range, but having dismantled it there doesn't seem to be too much difference to that in your photo apart from the protruding plastic pin which I assume was to restrict the pivoting arc. It's difficult to be certain about the measurements but as a first step if you could unscrew your sideframes and coupling so we can see the two bare pieces of the broken bit that would be a starting point. If it looks feasible I can then post this part to you and if it fits you can send the damaged bits back as I think I can effect a decent enough repair to reconstruct my bogie for future use. If it turns out my one won't fit your needs then just send it back and no-one's any worse off. Piccies below for your information - not that good, but difficult to take a decent close-up.
View attachment 308889View attachment 308890View attachment 308891View attachment 308892View attachment 308893View attachment 308894View attachment 308895View attachment 308896
Many thanks for helping me along. I've deconstructed the bogie completely now and the damaged part has a number 37700 0623. It does look slightly different to the one you have there, but thanks anyway that's really good of you

Attachments

• SAM_0339.JPG
    SAM_0339.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SAM_0340.JPG
    SAM_0340.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 0

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for helping me along. I've deconstructed the bogie completely now and the damaged part has a number 37700 0623. It does look slightly different to the one you have there, but thanks anyway that's really good of you
Good morning Simon. Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday - had a funeral to attend. I enlarged your photos and did my best to compare with my own. I come to the conclusion my bogie is longer than your damaged unit and the coupling mount is slightly different. As is, it would mean some surgery will be necessary and the spacing between wagons will change. Probably not an ideal situation. I will leave it to you to decide your next move - it's possible a correct part may yet surface from another forum member.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I just brought (another) one of these cheap, but I didn't notice that it has one bogie different from the other. One is PIKO 37700-07 and the other is an LGB one.

Simon, did you find another bogie to replace your broken one?

I'm going to see if I can get some spares from Europe....