Help/ info required - tight -od----

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all - can anyone please answer a thought which has been in my head for a while - i have been looking at going over to running on batteries - no not me, the locos - anyway my idea is using 1 transmitter/ and say 5 receivers --each fitted into a loco with batts speed control etc - each receiver on a different colour crystal - so far so good 8| now on the trasmitter where the crystal plugs in, fit a rotary switch with five crystals ( same colours as the ones fitted to the locos )- would this now work can anyone say -- that i could dial up a loco 1 to5 and control from just the one transmitter :D now at this stage if some one has fallen off there seat, laughing i am sorry --but i just had to have an answer -- regards Dave 8D-

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Provided you are using a system in the locos that does not require a constant control signal from the transmitter to maintain current speed/direction for the loco, then I can't see why that shouldn't work....

Jon.

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
If you want to run one at a time why use old technology.....
2.4 is the way to go 1 transmitter any number of receivers!

whizzo

24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon, thanks for writing back - to define a little more -i would use electronize speed control--??? also i am only looking to run one train at a time ( age thing -ha ha ) - my main problem -because of health -is track cleaning - also cannot afford -to change to dcc ( the dark side ) + i used to do model boats in my youth r/c regards Dave ps if you have any ideas which might help -control etc please say --Thanks

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Yes - use 2.4G - no crystals - as many receivers as you like.
Control one at a time, no need to dial up, just make sure the non running are switched off.

Use an ESC in each loco, but try to get them all on the same polarity/direction setting.
This avoids confusion when you need to react quickly.

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok then.....
In the short end theres an electronize unit and the remains of the voltage board for the lights......
In the big end is two cheap 7.4 volt tamyia type stick batteries, the reciever and wiring:D...
I removed the skates and pickups and the majority of the lgb electrics....... have had run times of over 3 hours hauling two long pullman coaches and a baggage ;)
86dae5a7f2834aa48eeea2535e6e8059.jpg

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Or if your not into shunting then make a couple of "battery" vehicles utilising plugs and sockets (only need one reciever and set of batterys..........)
From about 40 seconds in the video this one belongs to my boy using a lgb van but the same priniple could be used in a coach!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJH8odwo4w
Im going to be at bressingham next weekend if you want to chat??

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am doing the same thing though not totally changing, but rather batterising an option in a few locos for winter running. I will be using the Aristo Revolution system..a bit like DCC control but not working in the same way of course. Sound, smoke, consisting, lights sound etc can be controlled from the handset for up to 99 locos (I bet there is someone with that many somewhere................)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As discussed on several other threads recently, some of us are also keenly awaiting the long promised (but supposedly now imminent at last) DRC-300 unit from Massoth, which piggy-backs onto the current electronics of a DCC-equipped loco and will allow it to be directly radio-controlled from the Navigator handset without going through the DCC central station - in some ways rather like the system Mike describes above, it will allow a few locos to be easily battery-converted for R/C running in winter and/or on dirty track - with complete DCC control over all their sounds and functions - plus the advantage that said locos can be switched back to track power if desired at the flip of a DPDT.
Not strictly relevant to your original question I know, but another R/C option (or will be when they finally release it!).

Jon.

whizzo

24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Zerogee, the main reason for me going over to battery is the cleaning of the track -//// -swmbo- also likes plants (shrubs, small conifers- and other things) that i have no idea about, other than they help make the track dirty - + age thing cleaning and of wiring etc --Now i do not know much about DCC - other than all locos have to be chiped -but most of all the track still has to be very clean for the system to work // if i am reading this idea correct you still have to have the basic dcc fitted to piggy back of off - quite expensive as i would have to convert 8/10 locos - at this time i am running on dc only so my idea is to just move away from live track -and go the battery route ??? ( also the family hates the sounds after about 10mins) as i am writing this, i realise i am more into watching trains run round the garden ( not much shunting) regards Dave - ps these are only my own thoughts, i do understand that a lot of people do enjoy sound + Dcc

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave
Your best bet is for a DC RC system as although the Massoth DC300 will be a good investment for those already on DCC and with locos that have been chipped already, it could prove expensive if starting from scratch from a DC footing.

As I said in the post above, I have, or am, going with the Aristocraft Revolution RC system as it is 'plug and play' in most Aristo locos and some Bachmann ones and also there is a board that can be used to easily wire up USA Trains ones.
The handset is a bit like a Massoth DCC Navigator with a graphic LDC screen, plenty of features and function control possibilities and it also can control up to 99 locos individually, or consisted (lashed-up), if you so wish...so it is pretty comprehensive.
It is not as cheap as some of the RC systems but allows for more possibilities than most.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whizzo said:
Hi Zerogee, the main reason for me going over to battery is the cleaning of the track -//// -swmbo- also likes plants (shrubs, small conifers- and other things) that i have no idea about, other than they help make the track dirty - + age thing cleaning and of wiring etc --Now i do not know much about DCC - other than all locos have to be chiped -but most of all the track still has to be very clean for the system to work // if i am reading this idea correct you still have to have the basic dcc fitted to piggy back of off - quite expensive as i would have to convert 8/10 locos - at this time i am running on dc only so my idea is to just move away from live track -and go the battery route ??? ( also the family hates the sounds after about 10mins) as i am writing this, i realise i am more into watching trains run round the garden ( not much shunting) regards Dave - ps these are only my own thoughts, i do understand that a lot of people do enjoy sound + Dcc

Yes Dave, if you're all analogue at the moment then one of the other systems is probably better for you - for those like me who are already mostly DCC (and sound), then the DRC300 will, I think, be a good and cost-effective option - but not if you're starting from scratch, because as you say, you do still need the locos to already be DCC chipped.
Jon.

whizzo

24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
HI Jon , thanks for writing back on my notes /ideas - and to all of you that have put ideas forward - i am looking hard at 2.4g trans/ rec +electroeze ? control + easy charge tamiya batterys hopfully to get the whole lot in a lgb ge4/4 111+understand how to change the wiring away from the mts board ?/ so much to learn -- i have read the artical that matthew started the wiring looked straight forward -until i opened a lgb flat iron rhb -which had mts fitted -another question does the bulbs in the lighting circuit have to be changed - see more help required Ha Ha best regards Dave