Hello from Sarnia

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The whole discussion seems to be about cost.

So the answer to "why buy used when you can buy new" is go ahead and buy new if it fits your budget. Honestly this thread is going in circles.

I'll wait for developments, and for the last time, you just recently asked for how far apart to cut slots to make your track (post #90), and you have been pointed at all the places to read. It's not that simple as you have to take the thickness of the aluminum strap into consideration, the type of wood, etc. Last time I will say this is: Igor's thread really takes you through the process (do not use a jig saw), talks about the tools, the saw blades, the glue, etc. You can follow exactly what he went through and avoid a lot of issues and make the most inexpensive track there is.

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The whole discussion seems to be about cost.

So the answer to "why buy used when you can buy new" is go ahead and buy new if it fits your budget. Honestly this thread is going in circles.
Greg, as much as I hate to do it, but I agree with you. We had the introduction from the new member (great :)) but now it is all about how cheap can I make track, this should really have been in a discussion thread with the point to be discussed, or questions to be answered clearly described.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
It’s been 28 years since my first g-scale purchase and I remain optimistic that someday I’ll run across that great deal on a used lot of track. Most of what’s seen used on the auction site, this side of the pond, will cost as much as new by the time taxes and shipping are factored in. If you are running a train with longer four axil cars, it doesn’t matter how slow or fast, it’s a cringing feeling when the engine bogs down going through a tight curve. There’s a family owned business in Minnesota that ships to Canada (only trains.) Their shipping prices are based on the dollar amount of the purchase and a good deal considering the weight of track. I can vouch that a $600 oval of track is cheaper and more enjoyable than tobacco and alcohol; although I still enjoy all my vices watching the train run. I can recall only one thread where the member actually spent his time and money on laying track before upgrading the starter set engine and cars. Start out with good German made track and then worry about collecting cars that are the wrong scale to what you’re wanting to run. Observation from a novice.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Jimmy, I am trying to be helpful, but the lack of focus on this thread is helping no one to a resolution, i.e. getting track.

I would go to the Home Depot, get some inexpensive hardwood (recommendations from Igor) get some aluminum strap, some glue, and experiment like Igor did, and make a few feet of track. That will get you off the starting blocks so to speak. You will have invested less than your Internet costs for all these postings ;).

If your budget can afford commercial track, then just do it! Plenty of options out there, the Facebook "swap and shop" for G scale, eBay, and other links have been provided. The mythical "once in a lifetime" deal may be out there, but you might reach retirement age before you find it!

Greg

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Jimmy, I am trying to be helpful, but the lack of focus on this thread is helping no one to a resolution, i.e. getting track.

I would go to the Home Depot, get some inexpensive hardwood (recommendations from Igor) get some aluminum strap, some glue, and experiment like Igor did, and make a few feet of track. That will get you off the starting blocks so to speak. You will have invested less than your Internet costs for all these postings ;).

If your budget can afford commercial track, then just do it! Plenty of options out there, the Facebook "swap and shop" for G scale, eBay, and other links have been provided. The mythical "once in a lifetime" deal may be out there, but you might reach retirement age before you find it!

Greg
I am already retired. 2 years next month after 40 years of shift work plus lots of ot in a front line hospital job. What is the name of the store in Minn. I am planning to go to Guelph and pick up some track there. It is a 2 hour just 3 traffic light stop drive. Or a day long trip taking the train for free thanks to my credit card so. New track there is almost the same price as used being shipped plus duty and exchange on eBay.

✌️

Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I am alr already retired. 2 years next month after 40 years of shift work plus lots of it in a front line hospital job. What is the name of the store in Minn. I am planning to go to Guelph and pick up some track there. It us a 2 hour just 3 traffic light stop drive. Or a day long trip taking the train for free thanks to my credit card so. New track there is almost the same price as used being shipped plus duty and exchange on eBay.

✌️
Another thing to consider is the wear and tear on my new train using low grade home made track. Will the tracks be too narrow in spots and cause excess wear and tear on the engine and its components. Will the track be too wide or become too wide in the future and cause the train to detail.. fall over and damage the engine..its components and shell. Plus new track will always be worth something. Home made after I take it from the store will only be scrap once it is used. Ho is for adults and kids. G scale is for adults only...if there is a kid around well that is ok too. :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sir, I have a number of friends with large outdoor tracks in Ontario. They do NOT get brought inside - ever. Take a look at Ottawa Valley Garden Railway Society site - ovgrs.org. The track there, the IPPW, is around 3000 feet or so, and we run eight trains in each direction on an operating day with r/c locos and proper train crews. Tell Fred I sent you!

If you join us - it's free - get in touch with Mike Hamer - his blog with pics and movies will give you some great ideas. Also, glad to see that you making make your number with John in Guelph. Give him my best when you see him. This AB-set of repainted Aristocraft dismals came from him...AFAIK, the only ones like 'em in Europe.

1644261673062.png

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Take a look at the layout at Staver Locomotive in Portland OR - All this track, maybe a real mile - is steel bar in wooden sleepers built by a young man and his lovely [and very handy] lady partner. Note that a lot more has happened since this movie was made in 2017 - the outdoor loops have expanded massively...articles on how they go about it can be found on sister forum largescalecentral. I see Tyan Bednarik and Britney Grimm there enjoying the view!

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I am already retired. 2 years next month after 40 years of shift work plus lots of ot in a front line hospital job. What is the name of the store in Minn. I am planning to go to Guelph and pick up some track there. It is a 2 hour just 3 traffic light stop drive. Or a day long trip taking the train for free thanks to my credit card so. New track there is almost the same price as used being shipped plus duty and exchange on eBay.

✌️
40 years of shift work? Your handle blurb says you're 38

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Sir, I have a number of friends with large outdoor tracks in Ontario. They do NOT get brought inside - ever. Take a look at Ottawa Valley Garden Railway Society site - ovgrs.org. The track there, the IPPW, is around 3000 feet or so, and we run eight trains in each direction on an operating day with r/c locos and proper train crews. Tell Fred I sent you!

If you join us - it's free - get in touch with Mike Hamer - his blog with pics and movies will give you some great ideas. Also, glad to see that you making make your number with John in Guelph. Give him my best when you see him. This AB-set of repainted Aristocraft dismals came from him...AFAIK, the only ones like 'em in Europe.

View attachment 295200
Yes got to check it out...don't tell him I am coming ok. 109to 155. Ha ha. Did you ever see the O layout they had in London Ont. It was awesome and open to the public. They had to close it due to fire regulations but starting up again soon at another site. If I drive it will be when caa. resumes letting people sit in the truck. Should be in a few weeks. Taking the train is just too long of a day. I have never been married and can pass for 38. I have a 39 year old gf of 13 years so I feel 38. Ha ha

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
What is the name of the store in Minn.
HI Jim,

I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually reading what others are recommending. I specifically mentioned and provided the web link to Only Trains, "the store in Minn.", in my PM response to you early last week when I suggested you use them as a possible source, or at least, a price guide for new track.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
HI Jim,

I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually reading what others are recommending. I specifically mentioned and provided the web link to Only Trains, "the store in Minn.", in my PM response to you early last week when I suggested you use them as a possible source, or at least, a price guide for new track.
Ok thanks Phil... Ya I did go to that site... I did not know it was the same sight. :) I am new to this complicated G scale. 2 weeks ago I had no idea I would be ordering a new G scale train ✌️

Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya...And even on Kijji. Ok you buy something off of Kijji. And they live hundreds of miles away and agree to mail it. So you etransfer the 150 for g scale track. Or more. And they neither forget. Or wait a week or 2 then forget. What can you do about it. Do you really think that Judge Judy really cares??

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Ya...And even on Kijji. Ok you buy something off of Kijji. And they live hundreds of miles away and agree to mail it. So you etransfer the 150 for g scale track. Or more. And they neither forget. Or wait a week or 2 then forget. What can you do about it. Do you really think that Judge Judy really cares??
?

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Talking about my options on buying track. ##########

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Today I called a model railway shop a few km from the Thames in London. They have new Peko track at a fair price so plan to get two boxes tomorrow.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Today I called a model railway shop a few km from the Thames in London. They have new Peko track at a fair price so plan to get two boxes tomorrow.
Do you mean Peco or Piko? Both companies make track. No such thing as Peko track. :eek:

Greg
More importantly they have very different profiles.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag