Hello from Sarnia

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Rail would be too small for large scale flanges..
Yes, G gauge track is costly, but I amassed my collection a small purchase at a time as my "empire" expanded. It's cheaper than tobacco or alcohol :drunk::smoke: (that's a financial observation, not a temperance lecture).
With ho I thought about joining 2 rails together side by side. Never drank and never smoked and I get addicted very easy. Watching trains can be addictive for me. I am a recovered chocolaholic. Does not take much for me to get back into craving that junk.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hey I am just shopping around for the best option... Now I am leaning towards very good shape used LGB or Aristo Craft track.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good!

Also USA Trains track will match up.. There are variations in tie spacing...

Some pictures showing this on this page:

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
At 80 plus tax. can. dollars for a 12 foot strap. 6. Feet of track ..plus wood and who knows what else ..may as well buy used LGB track off of e bay. One shop I went to yesterday said 150 minimum. So might go back there and see how many feet I can get with that.
I think that's what we've been saying!

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
No it isn't sorry.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Anyways I am in no hurry...engine will come in a week see all the snow we have. Will be few weeks before I can start to do some ground work and lay track. I like to check things out. You can never be too careful..and last time I looked it was not e bay

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You can never be too careful..and last time I looked it was not e bay
If you procrastinate too long, it may well be too late, especially at our age ;)

Getting some track down (inside or outside) just to run your loco keeps your interest going.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
If you procrastinate too long, it may well be too late, especially at our age ;)

Getting some track down (inside or outside) just to run your loco keeps your interest going.
Oh I am very interested. That 50 foot box car I was going to get went from 109 to 155... Talk about inflation ... Will get my box cars from eBay now. My new f unit comes in a weekish

Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Well I have thought about it and want to start to make my own track. How far apart do I make the cuts in the wood to lay the track?

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well I have thought about it and want to start to make my own track. How far apart do I make the cuts in the wood to lay the track?
I suggest you read up on making your own track, normally the sleepers are NOT cut to lay the track in, but the track is pinned to the sleepers. The inside width of the track is 45mm, you will need to work it out from there.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest you read up on making your own track, normally the sleepers are NOT cut to lay the track in, but the track is pinned to the sleepers. The inside width of the track is 45mm, you will need to work it out from there.
Ya. Well I have seen it where they use a jig saw ...cut the sleepers and insert. It is sooooo much less expensive doing it this way and want to try it.

John Fedak

Registered
2 Dec 2019
Ottawa Ontario
Best answers
Country flag
Hey I have been in ho for many years. Around 10 years ago I just lost interest but now interested in a garden railway. I bought a NYC f Alco engine yesterday and now looking for track. So from what I can gather the track to get is Aristo or LGB. I would like to run it year round in my beautiful garden. Here it can go from minus to plus 30 c so need something very durable. Is Alie express track any good? Has anyone just used brass or stainless steal cable for track? I was thinking of using the cable stretched on a 2 by 4 by 8...using nails and glue to secure...Can I use the transformers from my ho set up on my new G set up? Thanks for your help
Keep an eye on Kijiji.ca for track. Search G scale, LGB or USA Trains. Have your viewing area as Canada. There are good deals on it but you have to search daily and be religious about it. Even after shipping you can get it for 4-5 dollars a foot. FB also has great groups one is geared to Canada. Since you are so close to the US border maybe invest in a USA address and get it shipped there. I do this through Ogdensburg NY. Good luck!

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya. I used to live on Carson's Grove in the early 70s. Loved living there. But it was much smaller then. Totally different Ottawa and it is too bad. I love to travel and come to Ottawa every 10 years or so. It is also a lot cheaper to live here as well as warmer. Air could be better in Sarnia but there is lots to do. Pretty in the summer on the water and no traffic. Ya I do all that except us po box...no desire.

Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya. I used to live on Carson's Grove in the early 70s. Loved living there. But it was much smaller then. Totally different Ottawa and it is too bad. I love to travel and come to Ottawa every 10 years or so. It is also a lot cheaper to live here as well as warmer. Air could be better in Sarnia but there is lots to do. Pretty in the summer on the water and no traffic. Ya I do all that. They have shipping depots over there but I have always hated going through customs so I never go over. I have never been turned back but still hate it. If you notice someone peeping over the fence looking at your g scale it is probably me. Ha ha.
I am going to get 2 of these tomorrow and try running my train on them. Ya the platinum galvinized steal is way too soft

Attachments

• 20220206_130936.jpg
    20220206_130936.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 0

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hello:. Hey there is a store up here that sells Piko. track in sets. Has anybody had any experience with Piko. Can it be used year round including below freezing.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello:. Hey there is a store up here that sells Piko. track in sets. Has anybody had any experience with Piko. Can it be used year round including below freezing.
Yes!

A set will give you something to run on, though the curves will be rather tight. - Means you can fit something in the house. ;):nod:

You may well find, that if you want a decent amount of track, they will be prepared to order it in for you?
Worth asking the question.. You would probably have to order in box-quantities, but that might help sway their decision?

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes!

A set will give you something to run on, though the curves will be rather tight. - Means you can fit something in the house. ;):nod:

You may well find, that if you want a decent amount of track, they will be prepared to order it in for you?
Worth asking the question.. You would probably have to order in box-quantities, but that might help sway their decision?
Ok thanks for the info.....It would give me something to start with in my garden

Attachments

• 20211228_210523.jpg
    20211228_210523.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ok thanks for the info.....It would give me something to start with in my garden
Just so you know Piko, Aristo, Train Line 45 and LGB all compatible bug as has been said there are differences with sleeper spacing on the Aristo. All will survive well outside in hot and cold conditions. Look for second hand of any of them, you can make big savings and all being near indestructible will give long service. I have LGB track still in use dating from 1983.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya well why buy used when you can buy new? I am not saying any more. Remember when I said the 50 footer was 109 then 155... Well I noticed nothing else jump. Lol. My lips are sealed. Lol.