Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Been model railroading most of my life, have dabbled with HO, G, N and OO, a few breaks here and there for military service etc, etc, etc... Just purchased my 2nd set of LGB trains as a starter for a garden layout. Looking forward to all the advice and knowledge that this group has to offer. I'm also a mid-level 3D printer person. Seems like the 2 hobbies along with my electronics back ground will be a good mix of interests. Anyway, let the adventure begin!

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board Brian. You're right, 3-D printing and electronics expertise will make model railways even more enjoyable! You've made the right start with purchasing starter set(s).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Brian!
Lots of advice, if you need it, and some very dodgy jokes!

Enjoy!

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Brian. With your background there will be plenty of advice you can give

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Brian, lots of help in here already. Have a good trawl through the various build options and links (in blue) and vids below peoples posts.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Brian, it would seem you could help us, so what is nice to see is lots of photos, dodgy jokes have already been mentioned, but you need to be aware of the humour in general :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Brian.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hey welcome to the rr. Club. How is dolphin tail doing? I saw him in around 2014.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from Mass.
How did you make out with that last storm that ran/plowed thru there ?
Light wind and rain. No damage worth mentioning.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Brian, it would seem you could help us, so what is nice to see is lots of photos, dodgy jokes have already been mentioned, but you need to be aware of the humour in general :)
LOL no worries, I was on a submarine for 6 years, humor I can handle.. :rofl:

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hey welcome to the rr. Club. How is dolphin tail doing? I saw him in around 2014.
Unfortunately he passed away last November... :( Winter the dolphin that is.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Did some doodling today at work. Think this will be phase one of garden layout. Using R3 curves DC only at this time. All trains will have to be taken in at night until I feel secure leaving $1000's laying out in my front yard.

20221013_114343.jpg

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
How old are you?
Very ambitious .
You do have to start some were ..
52 years young, and ambitious? I was thinking it was too simple... lol

Reactions: 1 user

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm have you thought of building a raised track ..no weeding etc. and as you collect them years your body might thanks you ...

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm have you thought of building a raised track ..no weeding etc. and as you collect them years your body might thanks you ...
It is a possibility, I drew a boarder around the layout, if you look real close. So I might raise it a bit, but the cost of getting rock/dirt hauled in is crazy where I'm at. And I'm trying to keep the city from taking too much notice of what I'm doing. :)

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
So no back yard? I have an 8 foot studs cemented into the ground tunnel/garage on the main line. No need to bring it in at night. But my neighbourhood is so nice and safe I probably never even needed to build it. But if you are trying to hide it from the city they will see the garage .....unless you put it in the bushes or concrete. I made a utube video too under train smoke.

Attachments

• 20220420_164634_HDR.jpg
    20220420_164634_HDR.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
If you use concrete at ballast you will not need weeding and have a true garden railway. Not a model railway outside. Just cut back plant growth hanging over the railway now and then. No biggie.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So no back yard? I have an 8 foot studs cemented into the ground tunnel/garage on the main line. No need to bring it in at night. But my neighbourhood is so nice and safe I probably never even needed to build it. But if you are trying to hide it from the city they will see the garage .....unless you put it in the bushes or concrete. I made a utube video too under train smoke.
Oh I could use something like this on the side of the house...