Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Re:project for a Rainy Day - A G Scale Diorama

mmts said:
Miamigo259 said:
You could always bring it to the Ipswich Transport & Model Festival on Saturday 26th June................!

Tony White has got his G layout on display at the Transport Museum and I assume the Model Engineers may have some G scale operating at their Foxhall Road site (When some of them read this, they will no doubt confirm or otherwise!)

Yes I will be there (Foxhall road) with both 5" and G scale operating thru out the day ;)

Link with detail.......http://www.irma.org.uk/transportmodel10b.html

And these should both be running on the day (video on the way)

just a reminded for those that are interested......
....and the weather is looking good!!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

mmts said:
mmts said:
Miamigo259 said:
You could always bring it to the Ipswich Transport & Model Festival on Saturday 26th June................!

Tony White has got his G layout on display at the Transport Museum and I assume the Model Engineers may have some G scale operating at their Foxhall Road site (When some of them read this, they will no doubt confirm or otherwise!)

Yes I will be there (Foxhall road) with both 5" and G scale operating thru out the day ;)

Link with detail.......http://www.irma.org.uk/transportmodel10b.html

And these should both be running on the day (video on the way)

just a reminded for those that are interested......
....and the weather is looking good!!

Hope it all goes well for you Ipswich boys this weekend.

Some good news on the Hardyard loco roster:

The Kof problem was down to a loose cable connection. The plug with the 4 wires which connects to the chassis block and picks up the power from the skates and pickups, and then on to the motor was re-seated.

The Shoema needs new wheelsets, due to a worn gear and these have been ordered from Chalk Garden Rail today....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

The Shoema loco received its replacement wheel sets at Wattisham Works this week, and following its repair, it was exhaustively tested (it was a hot day after all) on the LG&B, along with the Kof.

Hardyard will be on display at Mole's Open Day on Sun 4 Jul 10, so I'll be seeing all you Tractor Boys then....

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
Hardyard will be on display at Mole's Open Day on Sun 4 Jul 10, so I'll be seeing all you Tractor Boys then....

Nope :(
Now going to visit Mole with a stock transfer for the open day but unfortunatly (or fortunatly witch ever way you look at it) Mole has arranged an open day when im busy with the big round thing....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:

Alas I am going to be south of the river in a place devoid of train-like things. I wanted to get along to Moley's open day and your display item would have been good to see. Will you give him my regards Giz?
If he fancies a trip down to the big 'C' on the 11th, he will be received with cheers as will you if you can make it.
I will give him a call to apologise for my no show this Sunday.

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag

"Hardyard" at the East Anglian Garden Railway show yesterday:
P1010440.jpg

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag

P1010441.jpg

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy pondering his next move:

P1010442.jpg

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

beancounter said:

P1010442.jpg

Looks like he is contemplating the fact that someone has nicked the right handed point connecting the spur with the barrel loaded gondola!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek said:
beancounter said:

P1010442.jpg

Looks like he is contemplating the fact that someone has nicked the right handed point connecting the spur with the barrel loaded gondola!

No wonder I was getting confused!

For those who aren't aware though, the track behind the bridge is on a sector plate, and thus can be lined up to the road at the front of the layout.

Beevercreek is probably confused himself, as I'm not normally known for having a layout with only one point....

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
Beevercreek is probably confused himself, as I'm not normally known for having a layout with only one point....

Hi Giz, you can call me Mike, but Beavercreek if we keep things formal :wave:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek said:
Gizzy said:

Hi Giz, you can call me Mike, but Beavercreek if we keep things formal :wave:
Sorry Mike.

Was going to use your proper name, but then I wasn't sure if others knew it as well, hence the use of your GSC handle....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Started working on Hard Yard to get it ready for our local MRC show.

Last week, I was wondering what to do about the backscene, which had become a bit shabby with all the to-ing and fro-ing.

One of the lads at the club works for Claas Tractors, and he had brought in an old sales display.

Similar to the Laura Ashley one that Paul got before but with trees, lots of sky and a tractor, and measuring about 6 by 4 feet.

I had an idea and having spoken to John, our club Chairman, we came up with a plan.

So last night, Krizzy and I set to work and after about an hour and a bit of cutting, we had this....

e9663d86734049e684db681984ff83dc.jpg

d724f0d3073a48b5baedc954f71d4ee0.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

We had cut a strip of 300 mm from the display, and cut it so it fitted down the 2 sides of the layout where the old backscene was.

I'd planned it so that we had a little bit of sky at the top 25%, and plenty of trees in the background for the lower 75%.

Now I know some of you are going to say that the tractor is far too big for G scale, and that it seems to have sunk upto its axles in mud, but, to quote Blackadder, 'I have a cunning plan'....

0992d7784c7242bb8e5c79668f1f3e6b.jpg

Krizzy and I simply used the existing Station Building to cover up the bit where the tractor was.

What tractor?

It was a shame to have to rip off the old backscene that my friend Janet painted, but this vinyl covered plastic board is wipe clean.

Also it will strenthen the hardboard backscene boards which have started to bow, without adding a lot of additional weight.

A win/win situation all round....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

I've taken the plate bridge down at the scenic break, for 2 reasons.

Firstly, I'm going to make the hole higher, as some stock only just fits underneath.

Secondly, the tree line is quite low, and the bridge appeared to stop with a large drop to the ground.

So I'm looking for suggestions as how to 'blend' the trees with the hole.

Krizzy suggested a curved hump back bridge, but if any of you have any suggestions, then copy this picture, draw on your idea and post it on the thread....

9694debf178b458589522a08ebf4475b.jpg

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
Krizzy suggested a curved hump back bridge, but if any of you have any suggestions, then copy this picture, draw on your idea and post it on the thread....

images

No good at drawing but 1)could you not make a foot bridge out of plasticard similar to alec's to a viewing area with some camera wielding figures between the front track and the edge of the board.....
2) fabricate a water tower type of thing on the end of the platform

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

mmts said:
Gizzy said:

5613116a19d74a7b9cd3d6aa76805fea.jpg

No good at drawing but 1)could you not make a foot bridge out of plasticard similar to alec's to a viewing area with some camera wielding figures between the front track and the edge of the board.....
2) fabricate a water tower type of thing on the end of the platform
Funny you should mention a footbridge Ed, as today, I found one of those bread tray things that bakers use to deliver their wares to shops and us hard workers loitering in the crewroom at work.

Ade in Rugby uses them for bridges.

(Mmmm, more doughnuts, known to us as 'Lynx Apples'!)

The 'lattice effect' sides (N.B. no I'm not talking pastries now chaps) look like those footbridges you see at stations like Weybourne here....

5613116a19d74a7b9cd3d6aa76805fea.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Giz, have a look at the thread on the Peco crane kit that I've just added mate. I reckon one would fit into your layout really nicely.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Gizzy why not cover the whole fiddle yard bit with a hill even down to you display track only open to the rear then no one will see you fiddling (careful now vicar)
a bit like this only better
have either brick parapits or leave as to holes in a mountain ( i have a ton of sceanic stuff i can donate if so)

bcf1a44c80544dacafc1ff1021c74d08.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Two more great ideas already, from Tony and Mel....