HARDYARD - A G Scale Indoor Layout

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Re:project for a Rainy Day - A G Scale Diorama

So today, it has happened, the very first exhibition for 'Hardyard', and hopefully, the first of many more!

61d677ccdf8f47e2827a130af7eee0c4.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

A few more pix taken by my Uncle Ian....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Another one I missed earlier....

e0f984ac5c9a49239da48352aa80c339.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Future plans are to install catenary, so I can run a Bachmann tram. Thanks to Philbahn, I have obtained a diamond pantograph to replace the trolley pole.

The catenary will be made from some large plant labels 'a la Netty'. However, I will have to get the Infrastructure Dept in to raise the height of the over bridge before I can install the OLE....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy
I did ask my Uncle Ian to help, but he's just out of Papworth Hospital, having had a stent fitted.

So PLAN B was put into operation.

Is plan B the new wonder drug??? :rofl:

Looks real nice Giz but you still have not sent me a list of Slofolk GSS events and it would be good to know where the layout might be showing in the locality...BigJack's??

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek said:
Gizzy
I did ask my Uncle Ian to help, but he's just out of Papworth Hospital, having had a stent fitted.

So PLAN B was put into operation.

Is plan B the new wonder drug??? :rofl:

Looks real nice Giz but you still have not sent me a list of Slofolk GSS events and it would be good to know where the layout might be showing in the locality...BigJack's??

At the moment, the only Suffolk event I have been informed about is the one at Mole's on 4 Jul 10. I thought I'd replied to your e-mail about this one; apologies if I missed out this information.

It seems that a lot of the East Anglian G Scalers are re-building their layouts this year, so one or two of the regulars are not available this year.

So this year, I will be flying the GSS flag at various exhibitions in East Anglia, such as the East Anglian Garden Railway Show in Brandon, 14 Aug 10 and the ALSRM show in Dereham on 22 Aug 10, exhibiting Hardyard....

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag

Well done Gizzy - the layout looks splendid in "exhibition mode". I had a display area in front of the fiddle yard in mind when I made the board. Once again, great minds...
Any teething problems?
See you in Brandon on August 14th.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

beancounter said:
Well done Gizzy - the layout looks splendid in "exhibition mode". I had a display area in front of the fiddle yard in mind when I made the board. Once again, great minds...
Any teething problems?
See you in Brandon on August 14th.
Only one little track problem, and only with the Shoema loco, (the Kof was fine but it failed in service) which kept jumping off the track on the angled track joint between the boards. There was a slight height difference.

I tweaked up the pick up skate on the loco and this helped, but I will make up some short fish plates to help with rail alignment at that position.

The loco would stall on the point but this got better later. I'd cleaned the track before starting, but maybe there was a dirt spot that eventually wore away.

With my day of operating experience, I learned that it was not a good idea to have 2 wagons on the centre road, as it meant coupling up on the R1 curve. A maximum of 4 wagons and an 0-4-0 loco is all that is required to keep the crowds, and of course any children, interested.

I have also decided to stick to very short wagons in future. I took a long 2 axle and a bogie wagon along on the day but the shorter LGB Toytrain stock such as the flat trucks (with stantions and a log load), and the 3 plank wagons (with the stacks of bricks made for me by Bigjack) worked best on the layout.

I also think it would help to remove the extra coupling hook I fitted from one end of the wagons, as they normally come out of the box. I have put the extra hook on all my wagons if needed, as I have reversal chords on my layout, but they aren't really necessary on Hardyard.
I may have to have a dedicated wagon fleet just for Hardyard....

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
A maximum of 4 wagons and an 0-4-0 loco is all that is required to keep the crowds, and of course any children, interested.

Yeah, but a couple more wagons would keep the operator "interested"... :wits:

Need a relief operator at Brandon?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

beancounter said:
Need a relief operator at Brandon?
You're hired!

beancounter

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Shakespeare Country
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
You're hired!

Thank you Sir Alan...

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

If it had been live steam then 'You're fired' might have been also on the cards!:D

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

STOP PRESS

I'm pleased to be able to announce that Hardyard's second outing, will be at the
Continental Symposium 2010, Bury St Edmunds, Sat 19 Jun 10
10.30 - 4.30
Trinity Methodist Church, Brentgovel Street, IP33 1EB
There will be at least 8 layouts, Trader Support and Society Stands. I will be representing the G Scale Society.
There will be talks and demonstrations:
Model railway Scenery by Barry Norman a regular contributor to Railway Modeller.
Stone Buildings in Scibed Artex by Ian Jowett a contributor to Continental Modeller.
Photographing your models by Brian Love.
Tickets including a Buffet Lunch are available for £7.50 by sending a SAE to:
Continental Symposium,
9 Malvern Road,
Bury St Edmunds,
Suffolk IP33 2HH.
Or they can be brought on the day for £5, which includes tea/coffee, but excludes lunch.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks Giz
Will try and make it. Have another commitment that day but hope to slot in a time to get over. By the way we have an open day on the 11th July if you are up to it....

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

You could always bring it to the Ipswich Transport & Model Festival on Saturday 26th June................!

Tony White has got his G layout on display at the Transport Museum and I assume the Model Engineers may have some G scale operating at their Foxhall Road site (When some of them read this, they will no doubt confirm or otherwise!)

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Hi Stephen could you give the address etc of the Ipswich exhibition?

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag

Miamigo259 said:
You could always bring it to the Ipswich Transport & Model Festival on Saturday 26th June................!

Tony White has got his G layout on display at the Transport Museum and I assume the Model Engineers may have some G scale operating at their Foxhall Road site (When some of them read this, they will no doubt confirm or otherwise!)

Yes I will be there (Foxhall road) with both 5" and G scale operating thru out the day ;)

Link with detail.......http://www.irma.org.uk/transportmodel10b.html

And these should both be running on the day (video on the way)

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek said:
Hi Stephen could you give the address etc of the Ipswich exhibition?

I've put it on the Calendar section of GSC, but basically the Transport Museum, Ipswich Model Engineering Society and the Ipswich Railway Modellers Association are all having open days on that day, linked by a vintage bus service using vehicles from the Museum. The bus route also passes the two Ipswich model shops (Scograil & Galaxy models)

One ticket available that covers all 3 sites during the 11.00 to 16.00 opening times.

Some additional model related displays at the Museum (G-scale layout, Hornby O, Meccano, Hornby Dublo + radio controlled car racing/displays in the back yard) as well.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Sorry chaps, but I'll be at the Armed Forces Day in Bury St Edmunds on Sat 26 Jun 10, and it's probably a little late in the day now anyway I guess?

But if either the IMRA, IMES or ITM would like to consider me for next year, then I'd be more tha happy to pitch up!

I went along to this event in Ipswich last year, and it was an excellent day. So I'm truely sorry that I can't be there again this year....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Hardyard's second outing at the Continental RAilway Symposium in BSE went very well.

A GSS friend of mine, John (not a GSC member AFAIK) was trained as a relief operator, as was Dave, a mate from the Continental Railways Society.

Another chap who is now getting into G scale, Peter, a member of the Austrian Railway Society and based in Norfolk, also had a turn at the controls. Big smiles all around.

My Kof is still out of action (possible dry solder joint on the pcb to be investigated), and the Shoema was struggling, due to worn worm drives on the axles (a call to Jeremy to be placed later this week), so John decided to press the V52 into action. This loco only just fits onto the sector plate with one short wagon, and rubs the bridge parapet when on the point, but it worked well, and as it is sound fitted, it suddenly attracted the attention of the public.

From the experience of the last 2 shows, I am planning to raise the height of the bridge (to fit catenary) and I'll now also widen it slightly, as using the more controllable V52 for shunting, with its sound and presence, much enhances the layout for both operators and the punters.

The next outings are at Brandon and Dereham in August, although I may also take it to Mole's Open Day next month....

160edf8369af43b3bbc6020728cc9280.jpg