Grinding noise from loco

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Ive got a Bachmann thomas loco but when it moves its making a grinding type of noise, Ive oiled the gears but it still happens ?,

Do you think this could be the gears on there way out ?,

Any ideas please.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
It's not the mechanism to move the eyes from side to side is it?

Edited 08/08/19. Joking aside - Mine was sticking and clicking so I dismantled it. Cleaned and lubricated with silicon grease. Eventually I took the unit and face out and replaced it with a modified Bachmann B/H smokebox door. I sold the unwanted bits - can't remember if it was on here or eBay.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It's not the mechanism to move the eyes from side to side is it?
If he's groaning and rolling it's eyes, it might just be that he has read some of the "jokes" on this forum

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
Ive got a Bachmann thomas loco but when it moves its making a grinding type of noise, Ive oiled the gears but it still happens ?,
Do you think this could be the gears on there way out ?,
Any ideas please.

Did you inspect the condition of the teeth?
On the gears I mean, not the face.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, the eyes are fine as ive checked them,
Will look at the drive gears and cog on the drive wheels as it seems that could be where the trouble is,

many thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
First thing..
Check the quartering..

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip, sorry no idea what you by that, sorry.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The quartering is how the connecting rods connect to each wheel one side being 90 degrees different from the the other hence quartering. so with the connecting rods at 3, 6, 9 or 12 o'clock check each wheel is the same.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Does the Thomas-type motor block have all three axles driven from the motor, or just the front and back ones?

Jon.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I don't specifically recall but I'm pretty sure it would be just from the front and rear.
The center driver needs to float from side to side to get around corners and motor shafts only have two ends. :nod:
So if it is like that, you need to mesh the gear on each driven axle so the rod pins for the same side are at the same o'clock position. One tooth out and it will bind on rotation and limp along.
Quartering is usually done by the D shape on the axle ends so foolproof.
I can't remember how the gearing is set up though but it will be simple. :think:
I do remember the gears were fairly chunky. Chunkier than any Spectrum ones ironically.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
On most three-axle loco's, the middle axle is only driven by the rods.. - So there will be some 'slop'.

If you think about it.. The body of the motor tends to sit where the drive to the middle axle would be. :nerd::think:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
On most three-axle loco's, the middle axle is only driven by the rods.. - So there will be some 'slop'.

If you think about it.. The body of the motor tends to sit where the drive to the middle axle would be. :nerd::think:

Yes, I know that's how they work with LGB 6-wheel gearboxes - but never having opened (or even owned) a Bachmann one, I wasn't 100% sure they were the same.... some Bachmann power units I've seen in pictures have had a vertical motor at one end rather than LGB's longitudinal motor, and on those I didn't know how many of the axles were then driven by the geartrain....

Jon.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like Thomas is driven from the center axle. I've been in there but could not remember. :think:
Try removing the gearbox and listen if the growling comes from within. You may need to load the gear a little somehow to induce any noise.