GP7 and GP9s in quadruplicate

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Four prime movers each with twin motors plus sound and smoke plus a rake of heavy weight cars with full lighting easily managed by a standard Train Engineer and a Crest power unit......Amperage drawn please?

Reactions: 4 users
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
grades please?

remember that locos share the load so amperage for 2 locos pulling a train is just about the same total as one.

But you added smoke, that's a half amp per unit.... looks level, and 7 h/w cars... plus sound at amp each...

so I would guess 2.5 to 3 amps per loco, times 4... so 10 to 12 amps would be my guess... could be a little less, that's not much of a load, and I'm guessing on the sound cards, if a Phoenix, then 1 amp is around right, but will be less for others.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
grades please?

remember that locos share the load so amperage for 2 locos pulling a train is just about the same total as one.

But you added smoke, that's a half amp per unit.... looks level, and 7 h/w cars... plus sound at amp each...

so I would guess 2.5 to 3 amps per loco, times 4... so 10 to 12 amps would be my guess... could be a little less, that's not much of a load, and I'm guessing on the sound cards, if a Phoenix, then 1 amp is around right, but will be less for others.

Greg
I'm pretty sure the Main Line at Thurby is level, Greg :nod::nod::nod:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Running 7 Buhler motors today, 3 smokes, 3 sound cards, loco lights on and some LED coach lights. Medium speed.

2.9 amp - I was surprised how low it was.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
the locos asked about were usa trains, motors much different than buhler, and their smoke units draw more current... fan driven...

so what was the reason for the question?

Greg

My guess would be idle curiosity, or main131 is hankering after a big US outline consist..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The amperage is probably less, 2 amps for the smoke units (which did not appear to be on), probably 1/2 amp to one amp.

So the locos might be pulling a little less on the motors that the sum of the sound board and smoker...

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
the locos asked about were usa trains, motors much different than buhler, and their smoke units draw more current... fan driven...

so what was the reason for the question?

Greg
Yes, USA trains are notoriously greedy beasts :rock::rock::rock:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
They have a very high stall current, and they can really draw a lot under load... otherwise, normal cruise and light loads, not as much as they are fabled for. I have a few and they gained quite a reputation early on blowing up marginal current decoders.