Getting back in after a few years off

Williep99

Registered
20 Sep 2019
Meridian, Idaho
Best answers
I had a set up a few years back with about 100’ feet of track in Colorado. After a few winters and several hail storms every summer that destroyed plants, buildings, bridges and track I gave up. Any way, now in Idaho with far more seasonal weather and my new house has a couple spots for some track so I’m back in.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back. I didn't realise summers in CO were so severe, must have been depressing to see all your work in the garden wrecked. Any specific plans yet?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome again

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back to G scale, Willie, and to GSC!

I've noticed quite a few new (and returning) members on here over the last few weeks, maybe the future prospects for the hobby are not quite a bleak as some thought.....

Hope you have fun spending some time here, and pick up some useful info too - however long we've been doing this, there is always something new to learn.

Jon.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I had a set up a few years back with about 100’ feet of track in Colorado. After a few winters and several hail storms every summer that destroyed plants, buildings, bridges and track I gave up. Any way, now in Idaho with far more seasonal weather and my new house has a couple spots for some track so I’m back in.

Which part of idaho?

Williep99

Registered
20 Sep 2019
Meridian, Idaho
Best answers
I’m in Meridian for now. Just started looking for work out of state so it’s a crapshoot on if we are staying here for now.

Reactions: 1 user

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I’m in Meridian for now. Just started looking for work out of state so it’s a crapshoot on if we are staying here for now.
That would seem like a short stay. I've been in walking distance to Meridian for a few years and the only train stuff dealer with a store front I could find in the area is a hole in the wall place on Overland in Boise: Hardwoods, Hardware, & Hobbies There's another guy with a home business who has a hand full of stuff, but mostly HO. The only large scale club I've heard of around here is a few people in the 'Southern Idaho G-Scalers': ( http://lyonshome.org/brad/gscalers.htm ) Which seems to have been largely inactive and dwindling (I think I might still have a contact e-mail if you want to talk to them). The only kind of train event I've heard of here is the Idaho botantical garden's 'winter garden a glow', where they set up a G scale track and run trains with lights on some evenings every winter in the gardens near the old prison. I was told by someone in the club that there are probably less than 10 garden railways in the treasure valley and surrounding areas (I think they estimated around 5 or 6 they knew of). But I did see some second hand LGB track locally for sale a couple of times, and saw some Bachmann G-scale track at a couple of garage sales. One of the people selling Bachmann alloy track was upgrading to brass and putting in a railway around his water feature. He didn't know of the local club, so I imagine that there may be a few more railways in the area than reported. If you stay in the area be sure to post some pictures or videos of your layout.