General links Videos of interest, some with Railway Builds

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I had come across that video too, looks like a really fascinating railway with some very interesting stock. If you take Wikipedia's word for it as well as the state owned stock, each household on the island owns their own 'tram' as the line is the main access to the main land. All you need is a moped license :eek:

Lüttmoorsiel-Nordstrandischmoor island railway - Wikipedia

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a Model but an interesting vid of the great freeze of 1963, this may have been linked before butvthis is of interest as it is has material today telling ofvthe impact on wildlife. Many of the words and descriptions of the suffering have much in common with what is occurring just now with both weather and CV19. But the real interest is costs, what they describe as Millions back then is pretty well Billions now. How inflation has raged in the years between.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Found this one today about Severn Lamb, knew that they did quite a few things including Steamers for Euro Disney however the depth of their products certainly is much more than I realised. Well worth a look through the vid and their site.
Vid below.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this classic Pathe on YT, a Col Stephens Railcar no less even more interesting as it was filmed on the Headcorn Tenterden section, a bit that will sadly unlikely ever re-open unlike the rest of the line. Well worth a watch.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this classic Pathe on YT, a Col Stephens Railcar no less even more interesting as it was filmed on the Headcorn Tenterden section, a bit that will sadly unlikely ever re-open unlike the rest of the line. Well worth a watch.

Must be weird having the steering column but no wheel, health and safety obviously not high up on the list though

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This one I am posting today is one of the nicest Cab Rides I have ever seen, on the TR with Dolgoch. Well worth a punt.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just seen this on YT. Can manage to fit that in my Garden I reckon. Storage when out of use may be an issue, but where there is a will!
Anyone care to have a stab at what the Radius could be?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I want one

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Been trying to ask what the rad is and got a reply telling me the gauge! However another vid on minimum railways gave a quote of 1.8 metres that looks about right to me. We have a friend on here that did a 5” line round his shed, wonder if he is around and what his radius was and need to know if his quote is the centre line or what rail as in that large scale it makes quite a difference. As for me if ever I jumped would be 7.25 gauge.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another couple of vids.
The one below is well worth looking at the waffle below the vid (click the small arrow below the vid on the right) as it gives a good account of some of the methods involved. You will need to watch it on a YT page to see this option.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Been trying to ask what the rad is and got a reply telling me the gauge! However another vid on minimum railways gave a quote of 1.8 metres that looks about right to me. We have a friend on here that did a 5” line round his shed, wonder if he is around and what his radius was and need to know if his quote is the centre line or what rail as in that large scale it makes quite a difference. As for me if ever I jumped would be 7.25 gauge.
Indeed I am the man with the 5" gauge line around my shed. Minimum radius is 8 feet and my point/switch is 10 foot radius. I know from Paul at Ride on Railways that he has a customer with a 6 foot radius return loop. Not recommended but needs must!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Just to add that is radius to centre line. You need at least 15" each side of centre line for clearance (for the 1:1 scale passengers not the rolling stock) and that's if you keep your knees and elbows in.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Knowing that there are a few that do not understand Railway operation within the forum I found that this DVD explains some of the principles quite well with good mimic shorts for each of the 5 main functions. Some of thencomplexities can be understood with the Interchange Car later on in the vid. On can understand this sort or thing going on all the time if you look at the complexity of Railroads and differing Operators in Chicago.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting Randolph Scott film about building the Canadian Pacific through the Rockies. Bit of light relief from the usual carp on the box.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This guy does lots of interesting vids of Feldbahn from varying European Counties. This one is of what I used to know as Czechoslovakia but appears to have another name now. Most of the trains of tippers are quite small some as few as one but a few in the tens. But one line I counted 40, price that lit up for LGT tippers, almost felt sorry for the truck driver at the crossing waiting for them to pass by..

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another day of YT, well it is wet. Lynton and Barnstaple is an iconic line that is so slowly being recreated. This vid shows how much was left nit that long ago and is notable for the changes that have occurred in the interval.
This is a 2 part BBC Documentary on the line created in 1987.

Enjoy.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Having been in a couple of German Mechanical boxes I did find it hard to understand the Interlocking and offering of trains. This Signaling School has the ultimate setup with real Levers complete using Mechanical Interlocking but linked via computer to an HO Model Railway. Finishes up with Computer Control and Intermediate system as well.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A very interesting one about North British and lots of details about building puffers full size.