Gauge 1 CPR Express Reefer of the '40's...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I bit the bullet and carried on till I finished the brake gear...........................well, ONE side, anyhow....

1570906924379.png

Now got the air/vacuum receivers to do on the other side, finish off the airlines to the front and rear of the car and connect them up and then that will be the underneath done, more of less.....

In case anybody is wondering what the rest of it looks like, here 'tis...

1570907334225.png

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having REAL problems with wheels now. Either too big or too small by 2mm.................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, tac :clap:

Unfortunately, wheels are a perennial problem in this gauge - the standard measurement of a firkin often applies, two firkin big or two firkin small :shake::shake::shake:

• Haha

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Having REAL problems with wheels now. Either too big or too small by 2mm.................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So use the might of the Forum...
What size/style are you after?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good idea!!! Plain discs 29mm over treads......as fine flanges as possible...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There could be some lurking somewhere - I think USAT used 29mm and somebody made lookalikes - I have a set on my combine - I changed them from the standard 31.5mm to reduce the overall height a tad - 1.25mm to be precise :nerd::nerd:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I'll have a look in the garage later tac. Pity you didn't make it to Bressingham as I had bags of loose and odd wheels for sale - they all went.

• Wow

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Tac I have some Accucraft wheel sets, just measured the wheel 30.05 mm and flange 39.05, photos in this thread when I asked for identification.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tac I have some Accucraft wheel sets, just measured the wheel 30.05 mm and flange 39.05, photos in this thread when I asked for identification.

JimmyB - many thanks for that, but I have some of these already - owning lots of Accucraft 16mm rolling stock, as I'm sure you know, you end up with two wheelsets for each. Although quite fine, they do NOT like Code 180 track points, and that's what we have on our layout, as well as the main running track as well.

So thank you again.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
JimmyB - many thanks for that, but I have some of these already - owning lots of Accucraft 16mm rolling stock, as I'm sure you know, you end up with two wheelsets for each. Although quite fine, they do NOY like Code 180 track points, and that's what we have on our layout, as well as the main running track as well.

So thank you again.
Tac, that's okay, worth asking just in case :)

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Found these tac - but I'm guessing you need four axles. Can't remember where they came from or what they were on, but I will have a further search this evening in case I have more. I also have a box of gauge 1 bits at my mother's house, but it will be a couple of days before I can get to them. These are insulated and take standard 3mm axles. I haven't got my micrometer to hand but they would appear to be a touch under 30mm diameter (about 34mm overall) with a 2mm flange.
P1090110 _2_.JPG
P1090111 (2).JPG

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whoo, they look VERY good! Can you do a measurement form me?

TIA

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now that`s a great looking car,excellent detail and brilliant build,just awesome.:clap::clap::clap:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
It has been a joint effort - the plans AND the ultra-rare GOLD-coloured decals were obtained from a fellow G1-er in Canada, and the paint sample from yet another, also in Canada. He uses an old Hyundai colour from the 80's - simply called 'dark red', on his Gauge 1 commercially-produced passenger cars. As we've seen many times on this forum, the world-wide interest spread of people who want to help is just amazing.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Any update on the wheels you were looking for as you seemed to have problem there?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, can't find the right diameter anywhere. Getting them from a well-known G1 supplier mean turning down raw castings.......around £80 for the blanks before I start the machining.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great you have found some and as they say." if a job is worth doing,it`s worth doing well".May I say again a cracking build:cool::cool:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'Kay, folks, this is where we are at this afternoon. I was held up mightily by the slowthe of a manufacturer over in the US of A, and even more by the tardy rate of pace of the mail - three weeks from stateside to UK? Gimme a break. Add to that the truly horrendous cost of mailing a one ounce package...

Anyhow, the woes are not quite over for the build, sure, its as good as finished, build-wise, but I'm now frustrated by the failure of the rub-down lettering to actually rub-down, in spite of almost SIXTY years of practical experience using them. The let-down, rather than the rub-down, was further exacerbated by the fact that this set was likely the last in existence.....

Here's the non-successful rub-down -

1583518535079.png

And here's a few shots of the car, as is right now, taken this very afternoon on the VBR -

1583518603397.png
1583518731989.png

1583518634960.png
1583518677206.png

Looks like Mr Cedarleaf over in AZ will be getting my business again........................I'll keep you posted.

• Love

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
'Kay, folks, this is where we are at this afternoon. I was held up mightily by the slowthe of a manufacturer over in the US of A, and even more by the tardy rate of pace of the mail - three weeks from stateside to UK? Gimme a break. Add to that the truly horrendous cost of mailing a one ounce package...

Anyhow, the woes are not quite over for the build, sure, its as good as finished, build-wise, but I'm now frustrated by the failure of the rub-down lettering to actually rub-down, in spite of almost SIXTY years of practical experience using them. The let-down, rather than the rub-down, was further exacerbated by the fact that this set was likely the last in existence.....

Here's the non-successful rub-down -

View attachment 262447

And here's a few shots of the car, as is right now, taken this very afternoon on the VBR -

View attachment 262448
View attachment 262451

View attachment 262449
View attachment 262450

Looks like Mr Cedarleaf over in AZ will be getting my business again........................I'll keep you posted.
On the basis that all small mail (or possibly all mail?) has to now fly, you do have to wonder. And what is that soing for the environment? Perhaps we should get a young School girl to rant about that one as well. I think that in many cases the trip through the UK side Customs and clearing to get the cash owing (if any) via our Post Office is a big delaying factor.