G scale???

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
USA Trains replacement power-bogies would be killed by carriage and taxes. - Unless I could arrange a late 'birthday gift' with someone..

For the money it has cost, I reckon I could make a minor profit re-selling the recognisable 'bits'?? :think::nod:

Beware, even gifts over £40.00 attract the revenue men!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No, you're OK - it's listed as a B-B .............. not a Bo-Bo - wonder why?

Isn't 'Bo-Bo' UK nomenclature?? :think:

As the cab is a bit 'iffy,' and a scratch-build.. It might be an option to turn this into a (bit of a rarety) GP7B? - No cab, only five were made by GE. :):nod::nod:

Of course, then I would need another one, with a cab, as well! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't 'Bo-Bo' UK nomenclature?? :think:

As the cab is a bit 'iffy,' and a scratch-build.. It might be an option to turn this into a (bit of a rarety) GP7B? - No cab, only five were made by GE. :):nod::nod:

Of course, then I would need another one, with a cab, as well! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
No - B-B was used on Hydraulic locos like Warships and Hymeks; Bo-Bo on diesel electrics like class 20, 23, 24, 25 etc.

It's to do with the drive arrangements - sharrafter go and Google again, 'cos the memory is failing - salinity creeps in again :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

Edit - Bo-Bo is where a two wheel bogie has drive by a traction motor to each axle; therefore B-B would be where there is some sort of layshaft from a prime mover and the axles are coupled mechanically - source Wiki.

Europe is different, but USA & UK agree on this one .............. for once :mask::mask:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Hien ? C'est un B-B exactement ! Oui ? Pardonez mon appalling franglais. Max de Winter

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
B-B ...... Badly Bodged, surely?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hien ? C'est un B-B exactement ! Oui ? Pardonez mon appalling franglais. Max de Winter
Hmmm - Wiki goes on to say that it has 4 traction motors, so I don't understand why they've used the European notation for an American loco

It's a Bo-Bo to normal people :emo::emo::emo:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It's a Bo-Bo to normal people :emo::emo::emo:

But you said Bo-Bo was electric motors.. This has a large 'Prime-mover', but I will shut-up now, 'cos I ain't sure how the drive gets to the track..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But you said Bo-Bo was electric motors.. This has a large 'Prime-mover', but I will shut-up now, 'cos I ain't sure how the drive gets to the track..
Yebbut 4 electric traction motors in the bogies.

B-B is where the two axles on each bogie are connected mechanically

However, this is all blown out of the water when they classify the Class 91 electric as Bo-Bo (it has a body mounted traction motor with cardan shafts to the bogies and axles).

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

We designate them as B-B or C-C, on this side of the great pond.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
B-B-B-Because it has a stutter when moving?............

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
GPs are always Bo-Bo and SDs co-co although I wouldn't be surprised if someone can find an exception.
All you need is a new body, bogies and power trucks to get a fine loco.
I could have got you some when I visited the Charles Ro shop but that was back in June .

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
GP9/7's had 2 axle trucks...
Fred Mills