G Scale Track Benders

wrongway

Registered
1 Jul 2020
Pratt KS
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry if this is a silly question but does anyone rent a G scale code 332 track bender.
I have LGB 8' radius track that I want to debend to 10' radius.
Thanks
Darrell

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry if this is a silly question but does anyone rent a G scale code 332 track bender.
Thanks
Darrell
Most clubs have one, and loan out to members.

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Most clubs have one, and loan out to members.
Do you know of an active club in the Wichita, KS area, or maybe a registry that would list one? I remember we had one once upon a time, but I have lost all contact in the 20+ years I was working away from here...

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks
Darrell
Hi Darrell,

If you are working to a tight budget, I have built one of these and it works really well for me. Mine was an original wood one, but there is also a 3 printed version that maybe a bit more hard wearing? (Although I can't comment on that). I built mine over a couple of nights and If built exactly to the drawing, the wooden version will easily re-bend LGB code 332 track as your requirements with no twisting or jumping out of the bend whilst in operation - I know because I have done it numerous times, resulting in very smooth train operation over the resultant re-bent track curves.

https://rouzeau.net/GardenRailway/TrackBender

Best Regards... Have fun - That's what it's all about!

Dave

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, I've had succsess with bending rail (that's just one piece of rail, as opposed to a complete track section) by drawing the required radius on a sheet of ply, then insert a series of screws along both sides of rail, then threading the rail through.... then reassembling the track section. Check out photos of the Taita Gorge Railway... it don't tolerate derailments!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Darrell,

If you are working to a tight budget, I have built one of these and it works really well for me. Mine was an original wood one, but there is also a 3 printed version that maybe a bit more hard wearing? (Although I can't comment on that). I built mine over a couple of nights and If built exactly to the drawing, the wooden version will easily re-bend LGB code 332 track as your requirements with no twisting or jumping out of the bend whilst in operation - I know because I have done it numerous times, resulting in very smooth train operation over the resultant re-bent track curves.

https://rouzeau.net/GardenRailway/TrackBender

Best Regards... Have fun - That's what it's all about!

Dave
That looks a superb bit of kit, very similar to the Massoth bender as it does both rails at once. Looking at the roller part that goes into the Webb they appear to be washers which so far as I can see are not mentioned in the text, sorry I did speed read it as I have a Peco rail roller Massoth bender.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin, any chance you can fix your signature link? I wanted to check out your railroad as requested.

Greg
My layout is in Large Scale Pictures/Taita Gorge Railway..... I'm not that computer savvy, and usually use the search function to find my own railway :snooze:

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
That looks a superb bit of kit, very similar to the Massoth bender as it does both rails at once. Looking at the roller part that goes into the Webb they appear to be washers which so far as I can see are not mentioned in the text, sorry I did speed read it as I have a Peco rail roller Massoth bender.
hi Jon,

They aren't washers. The bearings used are of a flanged type and easily available. I bought half a dozen or so for a couple of quid!
As I say, the thing works very well for minimal cost.

Dave

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My layout is in Large Scale Pictures/Taita Gorge Railway..... I'm not that computer savvy, and usually use the search function to find my own railway :snooze:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In the past trainli did rent out a bender, check to see if this is still an option.