Flocking machine....

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I have been putting the grass down with a flocking machine, i.e. electrostatic discharge. I bought a machine that is about 4kv and works with grass up to about 6mm quite well but I want to put some 12mm grass around the base of trees and such places as grass is not mown or walked on. My gadget does not have enough grunt to do it. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Is it simply a matter of buying a HV generator off eBay and putting it into my machine? Is there a flockers greoup who may know the answer?

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I think you may need bigger 'flocking' machine Trev. :giggle::giggle:

No idea mate, Could it be done another way if there's not too much of it?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think it tends to be the smaller-scales who really know about this..??

Are you on the 'rmweb' forum by any chance? - Think you will get a better response there?? :think:

Depending on the machine you already have, you may need a bigger flocker, to cope with the increased charge, and longer fibres.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I think most have different size mesh covers for the different fibres, maybe you need a larger mesh.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I think most have different size mesh covers for the different fibres, maybe you need a larger mesh.
That was not the sort of reply i was expecting from you Pugs - I was just getting ready to moderate it.:rofl:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have used one?

Seem to remember it worked fine up to 6 mm, but never tried it with 12 mm fibres....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I made mine from one of those cheapo electronic fly swatter "bats" (ebay) and an old kitchen sieve. Cost me about £4.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That was not the sort of reply i was expecting from you Pugs - I was just getting ready to
I must admit I saw the title and thought we were back on the firkins again!:tmi:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I made mine from one of those cheapo electronic fly swatter "bats" (ebay) and an old kitchen sieve. Cost me about £4.
Yes, I have seen one made up using the electronic fly swatter from a $2 shop and a small kitchen strainer.... In fact the one I bought I suspect is made from the same handle and sparky bits. They do give seriously outstanding results for indoor use.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Y
I have used one?

Seem to remember it worked fine up to 6 mm, but never tried it with 12 mm fibres....
That's where mine is failing with 12mm fibres... I'm confident its all to do with the output voltage but I'm reticent to replace the HT coil with one thats going to give me a 25mm arc...

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, this sounds silly but could you try ionizing the air between the flocker and the baseboard (same as in lightning strikes). I would be tempted to try with my wifes hairdryer which has an ionizing function to fluff up her hair. Same objective. :nerd:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, this sounds silly but could you try ionizing the air between the flocker and the baseboard (same as in lightning strikes). I would be tempted to try with my wifes hairdryer which has an ionizing function to fluff up her hair. Same objective. :nerd:
That sounds like brilliant off the wall thinking, but a small warning make sure the hair dryer is on the lowest setting not Hurricane Setting as you might have flock all over the place.

I have a small Tea Strainer Focker that I did a bit of Flocking inside the shed and some in the Garden. All has worked out pretty well, much to my surprise but I have not got any 12mm stuff to try it with. All I do know was that my Ebay one for around 25 quid was just as good as my mates one from a well known German Scenery Vendor that cost in excess of 100 quid.

Perhaps for the long stuff you might use Sisal String cut to long ish lengths, stained and glued in in clumps. This was old school way of doing things and works just as well for a small layout.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Reminds me, once it stops raining (if it ever does - why did I renew my garden rubbish bin collection this year?) I must get the lawn mower out... and some grass seed... at least I don’t have to electrocute me sward...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
25mm arc! :eek::eek:

At 15KV per centimetre (in dry air).. You do the maths. :nod:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing worse than your average modern car ignition system. :yawn:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Not advisable anymore to stop the engine by putting your hands across the plugs though, specially if you've got a pacemaker!

Reactions: 1 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Had another idea in the wee (literally) hours of the morning: buy a Van Der Graaff generator, postage might be high and I don't know how you would get it in under SWMBO's radar but the biggest problem would probably be the constant zapping and the smell of ozone.