Fitting LGB 65000 to a Nicki Frank S

AddictiveBiscuit

Steam Locos, Armoured Vehicles and Aviation
13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Best answers
starting to think this is going to be complicated! Is there any better analog sound chips out there? Without all this fuss!

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
A few pictures of my Nicci & frank mods
2 holes in the bottom to let the sound out
Inside, new weights, to replace the one removed, fitted under tender top.
55021 decoder fitted, LGB clock fitted to one axle, reeds under to operate bell & whistle. External volume control fitted under tender top.
Storage capacitors housed under coal, & acces to volume control .

The decoder is programmed with a start voltage of 5 which allows the sound to start before the loco moves. There is a decoder in the loco as well. It's a waste of time trying to reprogram the sound unit for DC, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

The sound runs perfectly & whilst I run it on DC it is fully DCC as well.

View attachment 250753tender2 (Medium).jpgView attachment 250753tender3 (Medium).jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to have lost a picture, try again.tender1 _Medium_.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It plugs onto the four pins on the motor-block.. It will come with the instructions.
You do need to screw it to the weight, in the loco / tender. - To get rid of heat.

BOTH motors would need to be fed from the unit (I am assuming both tender and loco have motors, not so for all versions). - You may have to be 'creative' with the wiring between loco and tender? - As I say, depends on the version you have.
AFAIK all "Nicki+Frank S" have two motors. The LGB 0-4-0TT has variants with one or two motors.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst they all had 2 motors, some of the later ones had different wiring as both motors were fed from one decoder in the tender. Easy identified as there are 2 cables between the loco & tender.