ESU V 5 L Decoder

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
I am trying the install 3 E S U V 5 L Decoders In three Starter set locos . The decoder works OK but I can not get the Head lights to work nor can I not get the Functions to work either . The manual stats the the head lights and Function have to be unlocked .Don't know how to do this. Any advise please

bruno.degraeve

Bruno De Graeve
10 Oct 2021
Elsene (Brussels), Belgium
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
1) have you connected the headlights with the FL (front lights) and a D+ connector ?
2) have you configured the Front Lights in the Function Output as "Dimmable headlight" and assigned enough Brightness ?
3) have you mapped the Front Light with any function key (I believe F0 is the default and the loc should be set in the right driving direction) ?
4) what type of lights are you using ? Bulbs or LEDs ?
5) CV configuration, see page 65 of attached manual

Maybe send a picture of your wiring and explain what you have configured as CV settings.

Attachments

• 51211_LokPilot_5_ESUKG_EN_Betriebsanleitung_Auflage-7_eBook_02.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
1) have you connected the headlights with the FL (front lights) and a D+ connector ?
2) have you configured the Front Lights in the Function Output as "Dimmable headlight" and assigned enough Brightness ?
3) have you mapped the Front Light with any function key (I believe F0 is the default and the loc should be set in the right driving direction) ?
4) what type of lights are you using ? Bulbs or LEDs ?
5) CV configuration, see page 65 of attached manual

Maybe send a picture of your wiring and explain what you have configured as CV settings.
Hi Bruno
Thanks for your reply
Head lights are connected ok I have not set the decoder for brightness. I am using LED s with resistor's
Have been setting CV 31 to 16 and CV 32 to 0 before I change any CV s. which it states in the manual .
it is a bit hard to follow the manual .

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Bruno
Thanks for your reply
Head lights are connected ok I have not set the decoder for brightness. I am using LED s with resistor's
Have been setting CV 31 to 16 and CV 32 to 0 before I change any CV s. which it states in the manual .
it is a bit hard to follow the manual .
Hello - I've installed many ESU LokSound 5XL DCC sound decoders into customers' LGB locomotives over the last two years. I also sell the LokPilot 5 DCC Locomotive Decoders on my Website and I've installed the older version ESU LokPilot XL V4.0. So it appears you've misinterpreted some of the guidance in the LokPilot 5 Decoder Installation Manual. Some questions and guidance:

1. Are you using an ESU LokProgrammer to set up your decoder? If not, you'll have severe challenges just trying to figure out how to access the correct CVs!
2. Your statement: "The manual stats the the head lights and Function have to be unlocked. Don't know how to do this. Any advise please." I'm not aware of any requirement to "unlock" the headlights and functions. Where in the Installation Manual are you reading that?
3. If the lights do not operate, it's likely you don't have the decoder set up properly in your DCC command station. What DCC system are you using? You need to set the decoder's Address CV1 and Speed Steps CV29 into your DCC system so both the decoder and your system have the same values. The Installation Manual states that the default setting on CV29 is 14; most DCC users now use 28 Speed Steps so you'll want to change CV29=6 (28 Speed Steps and Digital and Analog Mode Operation). If your command station and your decoder both now have the same CV1 Address and Speed Steps set, then your locomotives lights should work.
4. Note the LokProgrammer allows you to use the Function Mapping and the Function Output settings for the lights and all AUX output terminals. When you want to use an LED light, you check the LED box using using an LED for the headlight or any AUX Terminal. I'm not sure if you just use a resistor on an LED without checking this LED setting will cause any operating issues with the LED or not.
5. Finally, you mention that you set CV31=16 and CV32=0 before changing the value of ANY CV. You only set those CVs from their default settings if you're going to access the higher level CVs 257 - 511, not for the lower level CVs.
6. You should also calibrate the motor setting of the decoder for your locomotive's Buhler motor........guidance is in the Installation Manual.
7. I have the ESU LokProgrammers for sale on my Website here in the USA but you should be able to buy one from a local ESU Dealer there in the UK.

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hello - I've installed many ESU LokSound 5XL DCC sound decoders into customers' LGB locomotives over the last two years. I also sell the LokPilot 5 DCC Locomotive Decoders on my Website and I've installed the older version ESU LokPilot XL V4.0. So it appears you've misinterpreted some of the guidance in the LokPilot 5 Decoder Installation Manual. Some questions and guidance:

1. Are you using an ESU LokProgrammer to set up your decoder? If not, you'll have severe challenges just trying to figure out how to access the correct CVs!
2. Your statement: "The manual stats the the head lights and Function have to be unlocked. Don't know how to do this. Any advise please." I'm not aware of any requirement to "unlock" the headlights and functions. Where in the Installation Manual are you reading that?
3. If the lights do not operate, it's likely you don't have the decoder set up properly in your DCC command station. What DCC system are you using? You need to set the decoder's Address CV1 and Speed Steps CV29 into your DCC system so both the decoder and your system have the same values. The Installation Manual states that the default setting on CV29 is 14; most DCC users now use 28 Speed Steps so you'll want to change CV29=6 (28 Speed Steps and Digital and Analog Mode Operation). If your command station and your decoder both now have the same CV1 Address and Speed Steps set, then your locomotives lights should work.
4. Note the LokProgrammer allows you to use the Function Mapping and the Function Output settings for the lights and all AUX output terminals. When you want to use an LED light, you check the LED box using using an LED for the headlight or any AUX Terminal. I'm not sure if you just use a resistor on an LED without checking this LED setting will cause any operating issues with the LED or not.
5. Finally, you mention that you set CV31=16 and CV32=0 before changing the value of ANY CV. You only set those CVs from their default settings if you're going to access the higher level CVs 257 - 511, not for the lower level CVs.
6. You should also calibrate the motor setting of the decoder for your locomotive's Buhler motor........guidance is in the Installation Manual.
7. I have the ESU LokProgrammers for sale on my Website here in the USA but you should be able to buy one from a local ESU Dealer there in the UK.
HI Thomas
Thanks For your Reply. ON page 85 section 12.5 It states Each Function Output Can/ Must be unlocked prior to using it , Also on page 85 in the notes at the top of the page it states CV 31 =16 CV 32 =0 must be set to prior to changing any CV,s , I am a bit confused setting CV 1 to the same address as CV 29 CV 1 is set to =3
Thanks For your Input my lights still do not work. Thanks Frank Anderson I am a Aussie ( I have a E S U programmer.) not sure how to use it