ESU sound for my Accucraft K27?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
By default, steam on Phoenix uses a chuff-trigger, so would need the sensor for that fitting (plus magnets).

So a little bit of extra wiring..

PhilP

Yus, the Sierra system used a couple of magnets on one of the tender truck wheels

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
For my Accucraft K27, I fitted a Zimo MX699KS decoder with authentic sound file from a K27, with a Visation FRS speaker. I use the Train Engineer Revolution transmitter and receiver and batteries from Fosworks. Absolutely brilliant!! Dead easy to convert from rail pickup.
Unfortunately, I’m selling soon due to house move.

Attachments

• IMG_3002-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_3002-compressed.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 1

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
For my Accucraft K27, I fitted a Zimo MX699KS decoder with authentic sound file from a K27, with a Visation FRS speaker. I use the Train Engineer Revolution transmitter and receiver and batteries from Fosworks. Absolutely brilliant!! Dead easy to convert from rail pickup.
Unfortunately, I’m selling soon due to house move.

I'm not converting it from track power - my loco, as shown in the video, is already on battery r/c.

Last edited:

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
Just curious? Are the Blunami units available in GB. They came out Spring a year ago here. I just finished installing my fifth receiver. I love them and I considering dumping my Sierra unit in my K-28 as they are so superior. Does everything from your phone or I-pad.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sierra, with the flat acid battery - no more batteries.
I had an Accy K27 with sierra sound (I had a few Soundtraxx Sierra equiped locos) and when the little lead acid batteries died and became non-existent to buy, I used a 4x1.5 AAA NimH rechargeable battery 'stay alive' pack instead (it enables sound when just starting up motion and also ancillary sounds when motion stops). Everything worked fine.
I then started to replace all of the Soundtraxx cards with Phoenix boards.
The sound was even better than the Soundtraxx Sierra boards.
I bought pre-owned Phoenix BigSoundTM 2K2 boards, and as the loco sounds could be up-loaded (using the Phoenix programmer), it did not matter which sounds the second-hand jobbies came with.
The 2K boards are also compatible with DC and DCC (the sounds can be controlled with a DCC controller).

When I began to incorporate DCC into my layout, I tried just adding a motor DCC board to work with the Phoenix 2K2 boards but eventually I wanted a simpler route and started to buy ESU V3.5 DCC motor with sound boards cheap. I also purchased the ESU programmer and was able to upload different loco sounds. The quality of the sounds was easily on par with the Phoenix boards.
As the ESU DCC boards will also happily work on analogue, there is no problem using them on analogue lines.

Phoenix have brought out the SM18 DCC which is motor and sound but they are not cheap.

I would highly recommend ESU DCC motor/sound boards.... especially if you can get Version 3.5 or V4.0 cheap.

I do have spare, a few Phoenix 2K2 boards and maybe an ESU V3.5 or two.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Gentlemen - lots to think about in this thread. I much prefer an ordinary hand-held controller to a phone or tablet, so that is the direction in which I'll be looking. The cost is immaterial, bearing in mind that the first owner of my loco paid almost £3500 for it in 2003. It has served me, the third ownerist, faithishly these many years since I bought it from John Power in Hinckley.