ESU DECODER PIN CONFIGURATION FOR ARISTO CLASS 66

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Hi, again.
I have a friend's Class 66 which is not working.
The Decoder is a plug and play type and appears to be a variant of an ESU XL3.5, but has 12 pins rather than 9 sockets.
Can anyone tell me how these pins are configured as I want to test the decoder ?
The ESU site is no help.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure really, but the LokSound V4.0 manual does seem to say that there was once factory installed LocSoundXL V3.5 decoders, but only in Kiss, KM-1 and some Marklin 1 models and says that they had a multi pin plug connector. Check out section 6.8.2.4 on page 17.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Thanks for your help.
Decoder has been pronounced D.O.A.

Here is a pic of ESU decoder on Aristo board

2871ae73c75841edb4a04064a82a614d.jpg

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
It certainly looks like an ESU XL 3.5 decoder, but I've never seen one with pins before, nor can I find any info about it on the web.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ah.... looks like the decoder is mounted in an adapter board and then plugged into the Aristo pnp socket. I did read something on a german forum about such an adapter board made by ESU but couldn't find any info.

I'll have to have a better look around in case I ever get hold of one of these adapter boards.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The XL decoder and adapter board list for ?10 more than the 'normal' XL but I wonder if the adapter board is available separately.
Me thinks that the two XL boards (with sounds for Class 66 diesel and the Bachmann K27) are specially made to attach to the adapter board and then hook up with the two locos using their 'plug and play' sockets.
I have a couple of ESU decoders and would like to pop one into a SD45 (with Aristo plug and play socket) using the adapter but it probably is only for the two aforementioned boards as the terminals on the board would have to be different to the 'normal' screw terminals found on the bog standard Loksound XL decoders.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
I agree. Unfortunately South west Digital are on holiday all this week, so I was unable to ask Caroline anything, and I wanted to try and get this decoder working. As it happens I have just arranged the funeral for it......