Enhancing Amax Coaches (or Newqida)

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Re:Enhancing Amex Coaches (or Newqida)

I am really thinking "Garden Rail article" as I have said earlier :)
Thank you very much, it's an inspirational thread

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

One tip on paint bleed through on tape...adds more time, but solves some problems.

Spray your base coat. Add the tape. Then spray base coat over the edge of the tape where the second color will be sprayed. Allow it to dry, then do your second color. This allows the base color to be the one to wick or bleed, and not the second color.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

korm kormsen said:
that coach does not look cheap anymore!

Agreed, some top-notch work in this thread....great ideas for sure!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Outstanding article Gareth. Great tips here for any repainting job. Ta muchly! :cool:

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

Coupling spring breaks / replace with LGB
Coupling breaks / replace with LGB
Wheels replacement / replace with LGB

Why not replace the whole body and chassis with LGB as well and throw the Chinese tat in the bin? If this product is so good, why go to great lengths to disguise it.

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers

vasim said:

Why not replace the whole body and chassis with LGB as well and throw the Chinese tat in the bin? If this product is so good, why go to great lengths to disguise it.

Not sure I follow the logic, you obviously do not own any of these...

Coupling spring breaks / hmmm, no... it doesn't, not any more than Bachmann or LGB anyhow.
Coupling breaks / replace with Bachmann
Wheels replacement / replace with Bachmann, as you would any LGB coach because they too come with plastic wheels.

Bottom line is that for the price they are very good.
According to new reviews (largescalecentral) the same can no longer be said about new production LGB coming out of China, you get Amax quality at more than traditional LGB prices.
I think I'll stick to paying what stuff is worth.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

vasim said:

What a pity that the energies that are expended in pernicious and childish invective are n't directed into something benificial to the community.

Disappointing.

We are not going there again, any escalation in petty bickering and the offending posts will be deleted.

Now back to the good work.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Woderwick said:
vasim said:

What a pity that the energies that are expended in pernicious and childish invective are n't directed into something benificial to the community.

Disappointing.

We are not going there again, any escalation in petty bickering and the offending posts will be deleted.

Now back to the good work.

Well said Wod :clap::clap:.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers

Gareth, that is a Great post that I hope will inspire others to have a go. It's even inspiring me to get off my rearend and do some modelling.

A

Alec K

Brilliant series of posts, and, as others have said, a spur to action! I'm looking forward to the restaurant car conversion very much.

Kind regards,

Alec K

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

As promised a couple of shots of the completed rake of four.

Total cost per coach including paint, pinstriping, metal wheels and couplings works out to approx £55.95

So this enitre rake cost around £223.80

1672db4fa77b4670bfffbd87afbb4f67.jpg
dcb93fa0838b4d4ebabc596466af2c6f.jpg

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Very nice Gareth, fairplay to you for pressing on and offering a useful contribution.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Very nice Gareth.

I'm interested in the restaurant car also. I think they offer a very good basis for chopping, modifying and generally mucking about with, all with out breaking the bank too much!

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

OK, managed to cobble together a quick "artists impression" of what my Restaurant Car bash will look like, at least from the outside anyhoo.

8f9760889e974da2a84267cef2a7e8a9.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

3Valve said:
OK, managed to cobble together a quick "artists impression" of what my Restuarant Car bash will look like, at least from the outside anyhoo.

Ooooohhh yus, looking forward to seeing that mate :clap:.

A

Alec K

That should emerge as something really special- if you do decide to convert the interior as well, it will be an award-winner!

I only managed to convert a Playmobil coach, no comparison I know, but I had great fun in doing so. I remember that cutting and filing the window blanking plates to fit the curved recesses was a joyful task....

KInd regards,

Alec K

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag

3Valve said:
As promised a couple of shots of the completed rake of four.

Total cost per coach including paint, pinstriping, metal wheels and couplings works out to approx £55.95

So this enitre rake cost around £223.80

images
images

Attn Vasim:
Please read the above post, I think that answers your question.

Speaking from this side of the Atlantic where anything LGB on Evilbay is only "Buy it Now" at 125% above MSRP, I can buy a rake of 4 or more NewQ cars for the same "buy it now" price of just one LGB coach. Now if I wanted the same setup as 3Valve's rake, thats $225 (last one I saw) x 4, and I still have to swap the wheels to metal ($25 per 4 pack) and still repaint them, so for that same rake of 4 coaches I'm over the $1K US mark.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

Oh yes, Vasim. Again. Does she have megabucks to play with? Have we seen a conversion or paint-job she has done? Kitbash? Have we seen or heard other than vitriolic rubbish from this great modeller?
As I said before on another thread, some of us have to work to a price: this is a hobby and that means after the tax man, the insurance, the bank, the children etc (Oh, let's not forget food) we get the leftover pennies.
Sorry, got carried away there, but I don't like people who knock other peoples goes at changing or smartening stock or buildings for their railways.
Me personally I like the way this stock looks after a blow over, in particular the GWR colours someone else did, and to be perfectly honest I just love the black pinstripe, it tidies everything so well.
Two thumbs up mate! :clap: