Enhancing Amax Coaches (or Newqida)

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Re:Enhancing Amex Coaches (or Newqida)

Cheers Gareth.

Great article. I'm new to G scale and buying up secondhand stock to get me going. However I bought 4 blue Newqida coaches as you can buy a rake of four for the price of one LGB version. I'd planned to respray them cream and navy blue with gold trim, (orient express ish). Your article is very informative with helpful tips. Also engineering the coaches to improve performance is half the fun as far as I'm concerned. I'll certainly kit bash some more into projects. A GWR style autocoach for my Stainz and a rake with a Scotrail style DBSO are all tempting propositions.

Thanks again
David

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers

Quick tip I've found to help these coaches stay on the track. They are prone to lift an axle when on curves where there is change in camber or gradient.
1) Turn coach on its side and look between the bogie and underside of the coach chassis. Only one end has the rounded bumps under the floor that control the roll of the coach over the track. Remove the bogie that DOES NOT have the bumps under it.
2) The hole in the bogie that the king pin goes through seems to be just under 6mm. Ream the hole out with a 6mm drill and just gently wiggle the drill while its rotatating. Your just looking to take a shaving of plastic off.
3) Refit the bogie. You should notice an increase in the bogies ability to rock from side to side.
4) This greatly helps the coach stay on the track. Make sure all screws are not overtightened and everything is greased and oiled as appropriate. This also helps.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers

Great thread :) What a brilliant transformation too. That restaurant car looks like it's going to be good too.

Also to those who keep shunning this stock, the difference is I'm a 16 year old student, I can't afford even the simplest pieces of LGB stock now. Yet I can have these brand new and have them look how I want. No brainer really?

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers

Talking to Brian at Glendale they have half a container full shortly to leave China but the have been made to order and should not have any logos (TB, Shall, Mo bil) on just information data. As soon as they are on the boat they will start taking pre-orders.

Casey's mate

Registered
25 Oct 2009
CFR, Rothley Station
Best answers

steve parberry said:
Talking to Brian at Glendale they have half a container full shortly to leave China but the have been made to order and should not have any logos (TB, Shall, Mo bil) on just information data. As soon as they are on the boat they will start taking pre-orders.

Thanks for the info, Ill keep an eye out.

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag

Any update on the Restaruant car? is it finished ?

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers

Casey's mate said:
steve parberry said:

Thanks for the info, Ill keep an eye out.

Undecorated red would be great :)

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Woderwick said:
BTW check the spelling of restaurant on the car :)

Bugger, thought I had checked it. That's ow we spells it in Shropshire, honest.

Not started it yet. Wifey's had me decorating. Be makin a start over the xmas break though.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Restaurant car mock up V2.0

Spelling corrected and side access door added for staff. Last day at work today so should be making a start on it in the next couple of days.

d44e38c3ec0a4cf2b7db410aeb925c8c.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

3Valve said:
Restaurant car mock up V2.0

Spelling corrected and side access door added for staff. Last day at work today so should be making a start on it in the next couple of days.

images

That will look very nice with your other coaches Gareth :clap:

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers

Cheeky Monkey said:
steve parberry said:

Due mid January

Despite wishing to support the British economy looks like I'll be buying from Germany in future

There has been a delay in shipping due to the other half of the container remaining empty.. as soon as its filled it will be on the way ...

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers

Hi all

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here my pictures inspired by Gareth.

After seeing his coaches in the flesh I thought I'd have a bash. I have not done step by step photos, as you've seen it earlier in the thread when gareth did it.

Some of you will hate what I've done. All I can say is they're unique and are for my pleasure.

Enjoy or grimace if you like. This is the first two of six that I'm doing. All the others are to be standard class.

bc5e350c6d3449f7b37592d12d518318.jpg
7488ba07b9b94b9eab4e17189c80359b.jpg
2080507d5ffc421ba23e427dd93dd8f6.jpg
b4429d7696584beeaabde314b2e3c8c8.jpg
7f8476dffb074d719287f56408e2487a.jpg
289e923640a2497b81dd8a46e82ce013.jpg
fa98d9e5d6584f3886ed080f870575d7.jpg

Once again thanks to Gareth for the inspiration.

Reactions: 1 users

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

They look very nice Dave great paint work and lettering :D

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

A little bizarre, but I love them!! Very nice craftsman ship as ever. Now scrartch build a UK loco go pull them! They will be very welcome at my open day.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

I am planning to build a DVT for my rake as, with metal wheels and lead in the Aisles, the propel well.

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag

They look better than on BR......................:clap:
Now how about somebody doing a Gresleyesque 3 car articulated set.......... :D

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009