Engine Shed

puffer

Registered
27 Dec 2009
Herefordshire
Best answers
This will be my first scratch build for my new railway, not modelled around anything in particular just a shed to keep my Stainz in. I will be hidding it amongst the rocks and flowers, it all started around christmas when i had some spare time, it took me about half hour to scribble it down on paper, ive used 9mm external ply for the carcus then covered it with 1 inc boards, ive also added some LED's to light it up at night as you can see by the photos thats as far has ive got. Im going to try some felt on the roof, cut into tiles! then add the windows and doors , not sure on what hinges are out there for me to use on the doors, any ideas will be fab, then all that is left to do is to add the gutters and down spouts, when the roof is on and the fascia is painted i will up load some more photos.

91a6306f8d184f38bad5cc62cfc116f0.jpg

e3214e79f72f414aa4e40a78ca8ae3aa.jpg

bf1660caf11740f98f5a019a7306a47b.jpg

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
That looks brilliant , another idea to store away :clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good stuff - and I like the LEDs. I've toyed with lighting my shed, but I don't intend to run at night in the garden so I don't think it's necessary (yet) but would be easy to add later anyway.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
jameshilton said:
Good stuff - and I like the LEDs. I've toyed with lighting my shed, but I don't intend to run at night in the garden so I don't think it's necessary (yet) but would be easy to add later anyway.

Dont tell us your scared of the dark :rofl:

puffer

Registered
27 Dec 2009
Herefordshire
Best answers
The leds are powered by 3 AA batteries, the leds are 4v and theres three of them. The one on the gable end will adventually light up a sign

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if it's worth sealing the ply - even though it's external ply - perhaps just a wood preservative if you want to keep the look of natural wood, or if not - perhaps you could paint the inside with primer/undercoat like I have, and stain the outside? I'd hate for it to deteriorate outdoors as you've put a lot of effort in so far!

puffer

Registered
27 Dec 2009
Herefordshire
Best answers
Yes your right, you know yourself how much time and effort go's into a project, for some reason i cant explain it, i started to paint the inside black but it will end up grey, the out side will have several coats of wood proservative. The plan is to keep it out side from April to october then it will be kept in the work shop through winter. Im going to start messing around with the felt on the roof this weekend so that will be fun, if it turns out ok i will put some more photos on

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
its certinly looks the part!! :clap:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
puffer thats great
looks like something from Colorado (not that that is what you intended nor all that it could be)
its just the windows and use of planks is actually what is common in the mountain builidngs

i like it a great deal-i like the proportions
it looks rustic and chunky but is beautifully executed
the details are really nice
often i see wooden freelance buildings for g scale that look -like tinker toys

and what i particularly like is that way it accentuates the Stainz-it looks as though it was built for the very purpose of servicing that very engine-and is reasonably commodius for such a purpose

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
A brilliant piece of scratch building

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
I wonder if it's worth sealing the ply - even though it's external ply - perhaps just a wood preservative if you want to keep the look of natural wood, or if not - perhaps you could paint the inside with primer/undercoat like I have, and stain the outside? I'd hate for it to deteriorate outdoors as you've put a lot of effort in so far!

my advice is to seal the ply with water downed waterproof glue ,give it a few coats especially the edges ,my shed was made from the same ply and had some damage even after coating it in glue the damage was to the edge that touched the ground.when i am finished repainting mine i will put a coat of clear silicone on the bottom edge:clap:

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
Wow I really like the look of that shed and size. For a roof try using metal or copper. Metal coffee can rusted works well. Both will weather very nice. Great job.
I agree with Nico. Seal it good with something like Thompson water seal (whatever is similar in the UK) I do it to all my structures and even the softer woods have held up very well.

puffer

Registered
27 Dec 2009
Herefordshire
Best answers
The rusted coffee can sounds good but i dont think i can lay my hands on them, but yes i will deffernetley need some kind of damp proof.

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
used felt on one of my buildings stuck it with silicone and gave it a coat of waterdown glue again and painted it black,its been outside two years with no damage:D

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
What a great shed, looks like it would cope with quite a few winters.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
For a good seal I would used knotting, it's used for sealing resinus knots in timber before painting and dries hard and clear. A couple of coats will seal the edges against the weather.

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
Bram said:
For a good seal I would used knotting, it's used for sealing resinus knots in timber before painting and dries hard and clear. A couple of coats will seal the edges against the weather.

i agree with Bram its great stuff:clap: