Electric Loco Sound

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
My pal Jack has a couple of electric locomotives. One is a very nice MTH GG-1 and the other is the LGB ICE multiple-unit high speed train. Both (prototypes) operate from pantographs and have no other propulsion mechanism.

He installed diesel sound cards in both as that is all he could find. So we have 2 questions. What does an electric train sound like? (Youtube wasn't a lot of help.) And does any vendor make a sound card with electric train sound?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Q. What sound does an electric loco make?
A. Mmmmmmmm

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well, MyLocoSound do an 'electric' loco soundcard..
You tend to get a drone / moan from the motors. Pantograph 'chatter' as they are raised / lowered. Fan noise. Doors opening / closing. Station / guard announcements.

But they are not particularly inspiring (electric loco's, that is) with their noises..

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have an electric loco MLS, and it has a surprising array of sounds

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have an electric loco MLS, and it has a surprising array of sounds
So where did the sound come from? (And who is MLS?)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As stated above, we do an electric soundcard which, apart from motor hummm includes door slams, brake compressors, horns, bells and brake squeal. Electric locos make very little sound when moving off and running but there is one exception ... the Siemens Taurus locomotive which sounds very musical as it moves off ... and we have it on the soundcard. Our web site is at www.mylocosound.com.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Having acknowledged that I'm one of the first to take the rip out of anybody wanting sound for an electric loco, I have to acknowledge that one of the loudest in the UK is the Class 90. I walked past one that was stationary at King's Cross, and was almost deafened by the noise, I presume from some sort of cooling fans.

However, I was brought up in the London suburbs, and most of our trains were EMUs, and the only sound you really got, apart from the Guard's whistle, was from the brake compressor :nod::nod:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've often been surprised by the amount (and volume) of noises made by G scale electric locos with sound onboard - LGB do several with factory-installed sound, of course, and they all make varying tones of hums, whines and moans from the traction motors backed up by all sorts of ancilliary sounds like clicking switchgear, fans, brakes etc etc.

I assume you are running on analogue DC rather than DCC, but in either case a Massoth S module with the correct sound files for your loco(s) would certainly do the job - they will work on either DC or DCC....

Jon.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
He's running AirWire, DCC protocol over 900 MHz, so he is running DCC... (this info was in another post)

Greg
Is the “he” the OP, or Jack who the OP is talking about, and if Jack has post he is running Airwire, why did he not ask the question himself.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Is the “he” the OP, or Jack who the OP is talking about, and if Jack has post he is running Airwire, why did he not ask the question himself.
Perhaps he's more used to writing to Ask Aunty problem pages

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
MLS is not fully compatible with DCC but can be installed in a DCC locomotive as the link below shows, but you will not be able to call any of the sounds IE Whistle with a button so you need to rely on an automated setup.