Drei Annen Hohne station.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Not sure if I am allowed to post a link to this, but if not, please let me know and I will delete it.

I am a very very pleased new owner of a hand built Drei Annen Hohne station....when it arrives i will take some pictures and post them. The station is 1.8m long and stands 55cm high. It is very impressive.

I had seen this model on the youtube channel of Hornhausen who models his railway on the Hartz area of Germany. Since seeing it I made it my mission to find the modeller and to aquire one....the rest is history, and allot of pleading to my wife!!!

He has made another which is on sale on Ebay, the link is

HSB Station "Three-Factory-Hohne) G track as a finished model, Weatherproof | eBay

I have no connection with the modeller what so ever, haven't received any financial benefit from posting this. I just thought there might be someone, like me, looking for an impressive German station.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if I am allowed to post a link to this, but if not, please let me know and I will delete it.

I am a very very pleased new owner of a hand built Drei Annen Hohne station....when it arrives i will take some pictures and post them. The station is 1.8m long and stands 55cm high. It is very impressive.

I had seen this model on the youtube channel of Hornhausen who models his railway on the Hartz area of Germany. Since seeing it I made it my mission to find the modeller and to aquire one....the rest is history, and allot of pleading to my wife!!!

He has made another which is on sale on Ebay, the link is

HSB Station "Three-Factory-Hohne) G track as a finished model, Weatherproof | eBay

I have no connection with the modeller what so ever, haven't received any financial benefit from posting this. I just thought there might be someone, like me, looking for an impressive German station.
I think that there are a few others on here that have used his builds. Only problem for me is that being full size they are gargantuan. A real problem if you are short of space plus I wanted Alexisbad in my Shed but had to do a caricature in half relief as well. Looks the part and those who come here to operate my line that have been reckognise it for what it attempts to create.

Sure you will enjoy it, hope you have enough space to model the Station to go with it, is a really interesting one with a complex at times set of Train Operations. The most complex is when the Nordhausen Train reverces to go to and back from the Broken. That does not happen these days, I guess that they found it easier to run through to Wernigerode like it has been doing for some years now. However one of the Wernigerode trains does do a shuttle or two up the hill from DAH so still a lot of interest to see, but at times it takes some decent record taking to keep track of what is going on especially when there are 3 trains in DAH.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
This is the sort of knowledge i need, so be warned, i will ask questions!

My track plan will unfortunately not mimic the prototype. It will have 3 platforms, but there will be more sidings etc, just to allow me space to "play". When i get close to building, i will start a thread with track plans etc.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Be warned!
You will need plenty of room at both ends of your station.. Once you start adding in points, for running round, etc. It will eat into the space you have. Especially if you want to do more than just run a loco round.

If you are not careful, you can end up having to run backwards and forwards out onto the mainline.
This can affect through traffic, or something running 'roundy-roundy'.

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This is the sort of knowledge i need, so be warned, i will ask questions!

My track plan will unfortunately not mimic the prototype. It will have 3 platforms, but there will be more sidings etc, just to allow me space to "play". When i get close to building, i will start a thread with track plans etc.
Ok so the current DAH is not as it was, yes the platforms are the same but there were in the past more sidings about so you may have your wish in a prototypical way. When you say 3 platforms it is somewhat different in Germany to our concept. There are 3 platforms sure but with Track (bay) platform Track, platform, Track ,platform, Track thus giving essentially 4 platform roads, 3 of them being through ones. I will dig out a drawing I have and post it here for you if I can find it.

But in the meantime here is a picture with 3 trains at DAH. The bay is to the left of the loco and is only good for trains arriving from or departing to Broken. But I think it is rarely used these days. You can see what I mean by Track and platform above. That Mallet hauled train can be boarded both sides, not unusual for Germany, quite rare but not entirely unknown in UK.

Oh and yes ask away have a lot of gen on the Harz having been visiting the line since 1981.
F7163407-2BC2-46B3-9708-2A71F7E2604A.jpeg

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Be warned!
You will need plenty of room at both ends of your station.. Once you start adding in points, for running round, etc. It will eat into the space you have. Especially if you want to do more than just run a loco round.

If you are not careful, you can end up having to run backwards and forwards out onto the mainline.
This can affect through traffic, or something running 'roundy-roundy'.

PhilP
Thank you - I had planned for a 2 meter station platform length so I should be OK, although no room for paper kiosk etc I had planned.

I am lucky in that my garden is quite large, but it has to be shared with children and a 11stone Newfoundland, so I am spending lots of time planning. My instinct is to get out there and just do it, but I know I will make mistakes. Ive been asking lots of questions on the forum plus googling stuff / youtube so hopefully am a little prepared

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Ok so the current DAH is not as it was, yes the platforms are the same but there were in the past more sidings about so you may have your wish in a prototypical way. When you say 3 platforms it is somewhat different in Germany to our concept. There are 3 platforms sure but with Track (bay) platform Track, platform, Track ,platform, Track thus giving essentially 4 platform roads, 3 of them being through ones. I will dig out a drawing I have and post it here for you if I can find it.

But in the meantime here is a picture with 3 trains at DAH. The bay is to the left of the loco and is only good for trains arriving from or departing to Broken. But I think it is rarely used these days. You can see what I mean by Track and platform above. That Mallet hauled train can be boarded both sides, not unusual for Germany, quite rare but not entirely unknown in UK.

Oh and yes ask away have a lot of gen on the Harz having been visiting the line since 1981.
View attachment 280644
Thank you for the info - yes anything you have or want to share I will gladly accept. About the platforms, yes I have planned the way you describe i.e. passengers can dissembark on both sides of the train. Its strange, I always imagined I would model a UK based layout, but the Hartz narrow gauge has just blown me away with inspiration. As for visiting the railway in person, we are hoping to have a family holiday there next year as long as covid permits.

I have seen your layout and am impressed with the operational potential you have there. The way a train can leave the main station and a long while before reapperaing!

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
I originally had a bay platform on my track plan but removed it as the trackplan grew in size. I might need to revisit it

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
but I know I will make mistakes. Ive been asking lots of questions on the forum plus googling stuff / youtube so hopefully am a little prepared
Mistakes are all part of the fun, and as the saying goes, a man who never makes mistakes is a fiber. But this forum is very question friendly, just be prepared for awful jokes and thread drift

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
That is a nice building indeed!

Hopefully, as you mentioned, you have the space to do it justice on your layout.

One thing I have tried to do on my layout, is to make all loops the length of a Bo-Bo loco and 7 bogie wagons.

A compromise I've allowed for the space and trakage that I have....

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
I think to do it real justice, it would need 3m or 4m platforms, but the station area has to be enclosed behind fencing, cutting a chunk of the garden off - Ive got about 4 to 5m total length for the station. I think once I have the station and am able to place it in situ, I suspect some of my track plans so far will be scrapped, even though they are drawn to scale on computer.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think to do it real justice, it would need 3m or 4m platforms, but the station area has to be enclosed behind fencing, cutting a chunk of the garden off - Ive got about 4 to 5m total length for the station. I think once I have the station and am able to place it in situ, I suspect some of my track plans so far will be scrapped, even though they are drawn to scale on computer.
My Alexisbad is in a 20ft long Shed, a section of straight (42”) and 2 points (52”) takes the track to the place where another point (26”) would give that 3rd road all peco points. That is 10ft of track and I have not even allowed for the other end point work yet. In my Alexisbad what gets me out of jail is that I curve at the other end and used Trainline 45 R2 points. Those measurements would come down with LGB R3 points but even with them it all adds up.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
I think i need to take up N gauge :)

That sounds like an awesome set up. I have watched your video but it is very hard to judge distances.

For me, ultimately it will come down to temporarily placing track on the ground with temporary platforms to see first, is it long enough and secondly, will i be alliwed to section off any more garden that is not already agreed upon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think i need to take up N gauge :)

That sounds like an awesome set up. I have watched your video but it is very hard to judge distances.

For me, ultimately it will come down to temporarily placing track on the ground with temporary platforms to see first, is it long enough and secondly, will i be alliwed to section off any more garden that is not already agreed upon.
Yes I think the Station Building when you get it will be a defining moment!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Coming a little late to this, I've not been on here for a while (various reasons unrelated to the forum itself) - I've got two of Herr Kossow's lovely HSB station models, including the same Drei Annen Hohne one that you've just bought (my other is Ilfeld station, which is one of his earlier models in wood rather than PVC sheet) - here's my DAH on my portable layout at our local GSS open day a couple of years back....

Tolleshunt show pic small.jpeg

A really lovely model, though as others have said already, it is quite large - they are accurately sized with the correct scale footprint, rather than being deliberately undersized like most G scale plastic buildings - so against a typical Pola or Piko station model they look HUGE!

I'm sure it will look great on your layout.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Thanks for posting the picture ... the angle of the shot helps to show its size well. Could you tell me, what length spprox are your platforms? I was thinking of using 3m long platforms which with my track plan , takes the station area to 7m.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting the picture ... the angle of the shot helps to show its size well. Could you tell me, what length spprox are your platforms? I was thinking of using 3m long platforms which with my track plan , takes the station area to 7m.

The main platform section on the portable layout is about 52", and the station buildings sit on a grey-painted board that is around 48" long that partly overlaps the rear half of the layout boards. The layout itself is quite a simple setup with two main tracks and a couple of sidings, using a number of Radius 1 points, which I bought second-hand via evilBay several years ago - the board that the station sits on was added just to display the building for open days, with a couple of blocks that raise it to the level of the scenic board surface. The main layout is in three sections, each just under six feet in length and about two feet wide - when clipped together they make a total length of around seventeen feet, to which we added a temporary U-shaped fiddle yard extension with loose-laid track for use at open days.
It's amazing how much fun it is operating even such a simple setup when the public are watching; although we kept train lengths down to just two or three coaches, we had a Harzbulle, my Fiffi and Pfiffi "twins", a Dietz railbus and a couple of shunting diesels working all day under Massoth control, all with sound.

3m of platform should be plenty, I'd have thought - you'll be able to accommodate five- or six-coach trains on that, and a total station area of 7m ought to look pretty impressive!

Jon.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
The main platform section on the portable layout is about 52", and the station buildings sit on a grey-painted board that is around 48" long that partly overlaps the rear half of the layout boards. The layout itself is quite a simple setup with two main tracks and a couple of sidings, using a number of Radius 1 points, which I bought second-hand via evilBay several years ago - the board that the station sits on was added just to display the building for open days, with a couple of blocks that raise it to the level of the scenic board surface. The main layout is in three sections, each just under six feet in length and about two feet wide - when clipped together they make a total length of around seventeen feet, to which we added a temporary U-shaped fiddle yard extension with loose-laid track for use at open days.
It's amazing how much fun it is operating even such a simple setup when the public are watching; although we kept train lengths down to just two or three coaches, we had a Harzbulle, my Fiffi and Pfiffi "twins", a Dietz railbus and a couple of shunting diesels working all day under Massoth control, all with sound.

3m of platform should be plenty, I'd have thought - you'll be able to accommodate five- or six-coach trains on that, and a total station area of 7m ought to look pretty impressive!

Jon.
Thanks for the reply - I am researching / asking advice to help with my yet to be built layout so really appreciate it!

Tramlad

Registered
4 Mar 2021
Nottingham UK
Best answers
I think that there are a few others on here that have used his builds. Only problem for me is that being full size they are gargantuan. A real problem if you are short of space plus I wanted Alexisbad in my Shed but had to do a caricature in half relief as well. Looks the part and those who come here to operate my line that have been reckognise it for what it attempts to create.

Sure you will enjoy it, hope you have enough space to model the Station to go with it, is a really interesting one with a complex at times set of Train Operations. The most complex is when the Nordhausen Train reverces to go to and back from the Broken. That does not happen these days, I guess that they found it easier to run through to Wernigerode like it has been doing for some years now. However one of the Wernigerode trains does do a shuttle or two up the hill from DAH so still a lot of interest to see, but at times it takes some decent record taking to keep track of what is going on especially when there are 3 trains in DAH.
I've tried several times to track the movements at DAH using a 1996 timetable available online. It is very complex and I've never quite understood the Nordhausen train, so this may shed some light on it. Has anyone been able to document it please as I'm intrigued. Thanks

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I've tried several times to track the movements at DAH using a 1996 timetable available online. It is very complex and I've never quite understood the Nordhausen train, so this may shed some light on it. Has anyone been able to document it please as I'm intrigued. Thanks
The Nordhausen Train is an interesting conundrum.

Loco
Certainly the loco way round will be a clue to where it is going. Arriving x Nordhausen bunker first and it will go up the Broken. Chimney first and it will go through to Wernigerode.

Stock
Some timetables it has gone through to Wernigerode others it turns round at DAH and goes to the Broken. The Timetable itself will be the clue of this. For instance the current TT in line shows 8920 x Nordhausen to Btokenthus the coaches will go through. Return is 8929 again shown as a through train. Look at the columns for the destination/from note. It has I think been a few years since the coaches have gone through to Wernigerode rather than turning round at DAH to go up the Broken, perhaps the HSB has git their customer care into gear!

EDIT I visited the Harz in 1996 so have a Timetable that you could be looking at. During the Summer period and indeed the Spring of 97 there were 3 through trains from Nordhausen to Wernigerode and the one to the Broken. Similar in return. There was also a curious Railcar the ran from Nordhausen to DAH and return, look at 8930/8929. Hope this helps some.

Last edited: