Drei Annen Hohne station.

Tramlad

Registered
4 Mar 2021
Nottingham UK
Best answers
The Nordhausen Train is an interesting conundrum.

Loco
Certainly the loco way round will be a clue to where it is going. Arriving x Nordhausen bunker first and it will go up the Broken. Chimney first and it will go through to Wernigerode.

Stock
Some timetables it has gone through to Wernigerode others it turns round at DAH and goes to the Broken. The Timetable itself will be the clue of this. For instance the current TT in line shows 8920 x Nordhausen to Btokenthus the coaches will go through. Return is 8929 again shown as a through train. Look at the columns for the destination/from note. It has I think been a few years since the coaches have gone through to Wernigerode rather than turning round at DAH to go up the Broken, perhaps the HSB has git their customer care into gear!

EDIT I visited the Harz in 1996 so have a Timetable that you could be looking at. During the Summer period and indeed the Spring of 97 there were 3 through trains from Nordhausen to Wernigerode and the one to the Broken. Similar in return. There was also a curious Railcar the ran from Nordhausen to DAH and return, look at 8930/8929. Hope this helps some.
Thank you for your help. So on the 1996 TT if the Nordhausen train is a through train would it arrive chimney first? With only the Brocken train arriving bunker first or would there be a swap? The timetabling looks heavy in the afternoon just after one, then again around two, and then after three. This always seems to coincide with an arrival from Nordhausen, so I wondered if this was the loco swap that gets mentioned. Thanks again for your help, the timetabling and swaps sound fascinating. Thanks again.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your help. So on the 1996 TT if the Nordhausen train is a through train would it arrive chimney first? With only the Brocken train arriving bunker first or would there be a swap? The timetabling looks heavy in the afternoon just after one, then again around two, and then after three. This always seems to coincide with an arrival from Nordhausen, so I wondered if this was the loco swap that gets mentioned. Thanks again for your help, the timetabling and swaps sound fascinating. Thanks again.
Yes things can get a bit tricky round the busy times, what is thrown into the mix are out and back workings from Wernigerode and the shuttles up and down the mountain from DAH that start and end their day at Wernigerode. Number taking of Locomotive and Carriages is the only way to be sure of exactly what occurs in the absence of official on the day workings and even these can change. Swops can indeed occur and it is even possible that the Nordhausen loco may need a swop for servicing at Wernigerode, thus a different loco will return to Nordhausen to that which departed in the morning. I think that peak summer there is a requirement for around 8 locomotives involved in the. Broken workings so quite a bit to keep track of. A day just at DAH can be a rewarding experience, just trying to go back in time would be near impossible to say what happened on any one day unless someone had good solid recording records of that day.

Tramlad

Registered
4 Mar 2021
Nottingham UK
Best answers
Yes things can get a bit tricky round the busy times, what is thrown into the mix are out and back workings from Wernigerode and the shuttles up and down the mountain from DAH that start and end their day at Wernigerode. Number taking of Locomotive and Carriages is the only way to be sure of exactly what occurs in the absence of official on the day workings and even these can change. Swops can indeed occur and it is even possible that the Nordhausen loco may need a swop for servicing at Wernigerode, thus a different loco will return to Nordhausen to that which departed in the morning. I think that peak summer there is a requirement for around 8 locomotives involved in the. Broken workings so quite a bit to keep track of. A day just at DAH can be a rewarding experience, just trying to go back in time would be near impossible to say what happened on any one day unless someone had good solid recording records of that day.
Thank you for the insight. I’m guessing things are simpler today? Is there a reduced service? Perhaps the idea of recreating an accurate working on a typical day in summer 96 might be too much to recreate or I just bend reality?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the insight. I’m guessing things are simpler today? Is there a reduced service? Perhaps the idea of recreating an accurate working on a typical day in summer 96 might be too much to recreate or I just bend reality?
As I said earlier the focus in the 90’s was somewhat different with 3 workings using the Trans Harz to get from W to N and back plus the Broken trips x N. I think this is a very good time as you have that mix of through trains and some x W to the Broken in the mix. Just looking at the Timetable should give you a clue and with just 3 locomotives with a continuous run you ought to be able to replicate the whole Timetable pretty well. Just depends how your line is planned to be. Would need some messing out of the DaH Station but I reckon dooable.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Seems a very interesting project. I've never really thought about prototype timetabling, it must very satisfying to get right

Tramlad

Registered
4 Mar 2021
Nottingham UK
Best answers
As I said earlier the focus in the 90’s was somewhat different with 3 workings using the Trans Harz to get from W to N and back plus the Broken trips x N. I think this is a very good time as you have that mix of through trains and some x W to the Broken in the mix. Just looking at the Timetable should give you a clue and with just 3 locomotives with a continuous run you ought to be able to replicate the whole Timetable pretty well. Just depends how your line is planned to be. Would need some messing out of the DaH Station but I reckon dooable.
I thought the prototype was 8 locos plus a railcard to fulfill the TT including a heritage loco. I can see where 3 locos could replicate the whole TT, with plenty of fun!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I thought the prototype was 8 locos plus a railcard to fulfill the TT including a heritage loco. I can see where 3 locos could replicate the whole TT, with plenty of fun!
Sort of, the heritage is not an everyday thing. As for Railcars looking at the 96 TT I think that more than 1 railcar may have been used but would need to do some serious work to establish the diagrams etc for that year. Dougln is you man for that, he used to work in diagramming on BR!