Devaluing an LGB with RC

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on how much you "Devalue" a Loco by converting it to RC, There is an Action coming up today with two Identical MOB locos in, one with all the standard gubbings, the other proffessionally converted. will be watching with interest.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on how much you "Devalue" a Loco by converting it to RC, There is an Action coming up today with two Identical MOB locos in, one with all the standard gubbings, the other proffessionally converted. will be watching with interest.
It depends on the reason you bought the loco. Changing it to RC will increase its value to the person who wants an RC controlled engine. If you bought it as an investment, it probably devalues it, as its obviously no longer mint.

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Depends on what you intend doing with the loco. If you die while owning it, who cares what it is worth? If youre buying it as an investment to sell on later, dont touch it, dont even get it out of its box. I am happy in the knowledge that it will be SEP to dispose of my stuff.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you buy an analogue (DC) loco, and convert it to DCC, you add value..

Similarly, if you buy an analogue loco, and convert it to RC, you add value..

It could be argued, that if you buy a DCC-fitted loco, remove the decoder and fit RC, that you are decreasing its value?

The only way to truly find out, is to offer it for sale, and see what you get for it!

If you are dead-rail, then a battery RC loco is of greater 'value' to you, than something requiring conversion.

How the conversion is done (are the parts necessary to revert to track-power with it) and how sympathetic to the original wiring the work has been, can make a difference to resale value.

Of course, the person having the work done, may choose to sell-on decoders etc. removed, in order to offset the costs of the conversion.

Yer pays yer monies, and makes yer choices..

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
And in the end, the price depends on whose in the market for what at the time you sell.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

It could be argued, that if you buy a DCC-fitted loco, remove the decoder and fit RC, that you are decreasing its value?

The only way to truly find out, is to offer it for sale, and see what you get for it!

If you are dead-rail, then a battery RC loco is of greater 'value' to you, than something requiring conversion.

How the conversion is done (are the parts necessary to revert to track-power with it) and how sympathetic to the original wiring the work has been, can make a difference to resale value.

Of course, the person having the work done, may choose to sell-on decoders etc. removed, in order to offset the costs of the conversion.

PhilP
Agree, You kind of got to think about it as a total different market i guess.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Depends on what you intend doing with the loco. If you die while owning it, who cares what it is worth? If youre buying it as an investment to sell on later, dont touch it, dont even get it out of its box. I am happy in the knowledge that it will be SEP to dispose of my stuff.
Yep, I have one Loco that i just cant get out of the box and convert ! lol "tho shalt not have false idols"

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
And in the very end, who cares what it's worth ? If the trains gave me enjoyment while I was above ground, that's all that matters. If I croak my children will decide if they want them. Whatever they get for them is a plus, in my mind.

Recently I have started a sort of reference manual on my trains. A loose leaf book of photos and explanations of what goes with what and how it all works.

Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
And in the very end, who cares what it's worth ? If the trains gave me enjoyment while I was above ground, that's all that matters. If I croak my children will decide if they want them. Whatever they get for them is a plus, in my mind.

Recently I have started a sort of reference manual on my trains. A loose leaf book of photos and explanations of what goes with what and how it all works.
Love that attude sir !

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It all depends on the buyers market at the time, if two people want a R/C loco, and one person wants the original, there is a reasonable chance the R/C will raise money. Just watched an old Bangers and Cash - Restorers, and a restored Francis Barnet worth around £2.5K went for £5.5K.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
But you could rc a dcc loco with a rc dcc system, add dpdt to swop between track or battery power would this add value? Personally do not care as my similar conversions are to run not leave in a box as an investment.