12f60186ec834f308a0d8be926f518fc.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
I have only just seen the posts about yellow paint.
I have used Halfords yellow plastic primer filler as both undercoat and topcoat. It covers extremely well and weathers well too. I have had a Hartland tanker outside for 2yrs with no sign of paint failure.
The only snag for use on the crane is that it is a "lemony" yellow as opposed to the original orangey shade.
It might be possible to change the finished appearance by using a red lead undercoat.

I've never seen yellow primer in our Halfords Keith, sounds as if that would have been ideal.

Gareth, are you bored? :D

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:

I had two options Mel.

Finish off my lengthy detailed and pretty dull monthly IT Report for our Management Board

Or

Stick a Jet Engine on a LGB Matra Crane,

No brainer mate ;)

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
KeithT said:
I have only just seen the posts about yellow paint.
I have used Halfords yellow plastic primer filler as both undercoat and topcoat. It covers extremely well and weathers well too. I have had a Hartland tanker outside for 2yrs with no sign of paint failure.
The only snag for use on the crane is that it is a "lemony" yellow as opposed to the original orangey shade.
It might be possible to change the finished appearance by using a red lead undercoat.

I've never seen yellow primer in our Halfords Keith, sounds as if that would have been ideal.

The product code is 456848.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
The product code is 456848.

Thanks Keith, I'll have a look next time I'm there.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
as one who models UP in n scale

i have had best success using a white primer for a clear strong yellow-even light grey will make it look dirty unless you use multiple coats

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I always fancied bashing two of theses together to make a bogie mounted doulbe-jib version.

Saw something similar in a Terance Cuneo painting.
Edit helps if I include an image so you've some idea what I'm talking about.

Edit II Correcting typo's, keyboard skills have deserted me today.

51bc6c35cb4c475dbc3d20604befa984.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevedenver said:
as one who models UP in n scale

i have had best success using a white primer for a clear strong yellow-even light grey will make it look dirty unless you use multiple coats

Oh don't I know it Steve. :wits:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
I always fancied bashing two of theses together to make a bogie mounted doulbe-jib version.
Saw something similar in a Terance Cuneo painting.
I've looked long and hard but not found the mouse...except the clickety one :D

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mel's thread has inspired me to get on with making a match/jib wagon for my own Matra crane.

I have a few HLW short wagons, brought at shows from Back2Bay6, that I leave in sidings, 4 side tipping and 3 flats.

One of these flat trucks, which is a snow white colour, has been today been sprayed with Humbrol Acrylic Yellow, (No 69). When the wagon reassembled, it will be fitted with 20mm metal wheels (brought originally for another project for which they were found to be too small)....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Why change the wheels? Or did the wagon sit too high?
I'm following my own advice and am eBaying for a second flat (Toytrain stake car with lost stakes) wagon and on Monday off to [strike]Mecca[/strike] the model shop to look at airbrushes, six days before my birthday - what a coincidence. :D

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
Why change the wheels? Or did the wagon sit too high?
I'm following my own advice and am eBaying for a second flat (Toytrain stake car with lost stakes) wagon and on Monday off to [STRIKE]Mecca[/STRIKE] the model shop to look at airbrushes, six days before my birthday - what a coincidence. :D

Metal wheels, add weight and improve running. My Matra carane is also fitted with metal wheels, to add weight, plus it is fitted with the track cleaning pads as well.

HLW (Hartland) wagons are fairly basic, requiring only a Philips screwdriver just to fit the couplings. Everything else just pushes together, although I will use a bit of Evil-stick to strengthen things a little.

The wagon is 5 1/2 in or 13.5 cm long and very light, so if the wheels don't add enough weight, I will glue some lead underneath.

Plus I just happen to have some wheels spare from another project.

I did originally use a yellow Toytrain stake wagon as a match truck myself, but I'll use this to carry rails or sleepers instead. I have another 4 of these stake wagons which carry log loads on my railway, one having been purchased from Steve Lewis of this forum only recently....

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
548b4c3b243845e288ba94f70e6d9b7a.jpg

You only need barrier vehicles to prevent the jib hitting the loco.
The small uk based crane as shown earlier do not have any barrier wagon but used to have a tool van many years ago buit no longer.
The kirow cranes have runners to spread the axle load and prevent the jib hitting things.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Well it's been a while, but the crane (and tool van) are nearly finished now. The control panel of the crane had control levers made from dressmaker's pins.

1280a99194d2476bbd8bf8082c3f75ee.jpg

It was also given a fairy light weathering.

19080a62345a4e62b4337f29d0777596.jpg

The tool van on the other hand is meant to be an ex revenue earning van passed into departmental use where it sits in a siding out in all weathers. As a result it's really pretty manky.

400c7e605830421494c40ecc4239a82c.jpg

The nearly finished breakdown train awaits departure from Wetton.

37fba5383c87404cacd7e5ba43ecdaf7.jpg

Still need to add markings to the tool van .......... which I should have done before I weathered it, D'OH!!

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks Brill Mel, wish I had the pactence to do something like that

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great mate!

What shade of yellow did you use on the van? It looks a closer match to the crane and TCL than the Humbrol No 69 I used....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks Steve and Giz. The paint was Humbrol matt 154 Giz. It's still not as orangey as the LGB original, but I was going for a faded paint look anyway.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmm, took a good look at the piccies but I can't see the fairy lights. :D
Trust Mel to have a tool truck with a fire escape :happy:
Anyway, absolutely cracking. I've got an airbrush, paint on order, not 1 but 2 flat cars in the post (€18 the pair with Unimog and Bulldozer loads, good deal methinks) and the [strike]fat controller[/strike] wife sees the sense in it all. I just need somewhere to spray, or does cold not affect the drying? I mean about 10° cold not sub-zero.
The next step is a dirty diesel to pull the train, maybe a Schoema or the 0-6-0 industrial loco. I would consider the Piko but overhangs and scale might pose a problem. Mel, could I trouble you to put up a photo with the train behind the Piko shunter?