pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
And again in another thread somebody made a spelling mistook and said they had a Manta crane :D
4e3423c1f4bd47e6802e138f3e77c77c.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Ah yes 1-1 set track coming to a railway near you!!
In response to the grant rail crane!

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Come on Mel get some morework done on it. I'm waiting to go further with mine.:admire:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
Come on Mel get some morework done on it. I'm waiting to go further with mine.:admire:

You'll have to wait until after this weekend Phil?

Mel's gone to visit his daughter in the big smokey city, so I guess he'll come back home looking a little weathered himself....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Philbahn said:

Mel's gone to visit his daughter in the big smokey city, so I guess he'll come back home looking a little weathered himself....

Not THAT big a smokey city Giz, only Southampton. Still big enough for a country boy loik me though :D.

Back home tomorrow night Phil. Got a bit of a busy start to the week, MIL's having a wet-room done ala Nodog, but I'll see if I can get the old airbrush fired up sometime. Still drooling over that wagon of yours with the Hi-Ab on the back BTW :admire:.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Gizzy said:

Not THAT big a smokey city Giz, only Southampton. Still big enough for a country boy loik me though :D.

Back home tomorrow night Phil. Got a bit of a busy start to the week, MIL's having a wet-room done ala Nodog, but I'll see if I can get the old airbrush fired up sometime. Still drooling over that wagon of yours with the Hi-Ab on the back BTW :admire:.

Southampton counts as a big smokey city Mel;

something to do with those ships' funnels....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Gives time for the paint to dry on all of ours :D

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Mel, I see the sense of the tool truck you bought but a crane usually has a (short flat) match truck otherwise its working radius would be seriously limited. Not that I'm suggesting you spend more money and come up with another wonderfully detailed wagon, oh no.:D
Here is my admittedly pathetic effort which obviously needs colouring in:
ba32b3f16b5448fda5663b5751389ebd.jpg

and while we're here, my MOW train which is a 'tribute train' to one you did some while back:
8ac75c7c8f1047fda3f2cf7ed5fbee6b.jpg

So now you see why I'm interested in an airbrush and your techniques! :clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
pugwash said:
Mel, I see the sense of the tool truck you bought but a crane usually has a (short flat) match truck otherwise its working radius would be seriously limited. Not that I'm suggesting you spend more money and come up with another wonderfully detailed wagon, oh no.:D
and while we're here, my MOW train which is a 'tribute train' to one you did some while back:

Cheers Ian. Nice models.

I have been in discussion with Gizzy about the possibilty of adding a match truck. The problem I've got is the limited length of my sidings at the moment (soon to be put right with a bit of luck).

I thought that match trucks were usually added to cranes to cope with the over-hang of the jib? Have I got that wrong?

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Worked both ways, one for the jib and for the big boys one behind for the counterweight (and the kettle) to stop the crane bumping into things like locos, wagons, people, the usual roadside junk. Imagine that in front of and behind the crane were box vans, the working radius of the crane would be severely hampered, put a flat car there and it can practically spin 360°. See on mine there should be one in front of the crane to stop it whacking the loco but I have the same length problem ( :rofl: ) and for some reason if I put the match truck in front it uncouples from the crane. So, good ol' rule 8 strikes again.
I seem to remember on an old Hornby OO crane I had the match truck had a support for the jib whereas on the Matra it is supported by the tool chests, so probably LGB rule 8 too.
I was actually going to sell my crane train 'til you started this! :crying:
So come on, what's next? :D

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Ian is this the one you refer to

91606de5d9494b008cc13105484cc5ab.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
Ian is this the one you refer to
No, it was smaller and more simple (bit like me) and probably older too. Google time I reckon :nerd:
Come to think of it, this is so long ago it was probably Tri-ang.
Ah, it was this one but mine had a match truck so possibly someone else added that. Nearly all my OO was 'pre-owned'. Come to think of it, so is my G. :happy:
d3822705b6854836a3597ccf8082e377.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
pugwash said:

Cheers Ian. Nice models.

I have been in discussion with Gizzy about the possibilty of adding a match truck. The problem I've got is the limited length of my sidings at the moment (soon to be put right with a bit of luck).

I thought that match trucks were usually added to cranes to cope with the over-hang of the jib? Have I got that wrong?

That, and also to take the extra weight I believe, which is the reason most rail cranes have several axles.

Modern cranes like the Kirow currently working on Notwork Rail (see Ed's post #20 of this 8 axle vehicle), have an integral counterweight at the rear which can be moved out hydraulically further from the pivot to counter the load being lifted.

I now use a yellow stake wagon as a match truck for my Matra Crane, following the purchase of a similar black vehicle on this forum, but I was at one point considering using a shortie HLW flat wagon to do the same job, but I've yet to find a yellow that matches the LGB colour.

I also have 3 yellow DR/DB 3 plank wagons and a yellow Kof Diesel (with flashing lights) as part of my maintenance consist. Zmate would be proud of me....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
OK Ian, gotcha now. I've got the big version of the Tri-ang crane somewhere in da loft. Now I come to think of it, I detailed that one too.

What comes next? Well the tool van has been rubbed down and is about to get a coat of primer. Next job on the crane (hopefully this week) is to detail the control panel. Then it'll be back to painting the tool van, before both the van and crane get weathered. Weathering both at the same time not only saves time, but means they should have a similar appearance.

Think I might need to get a new can of propellent.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Think I might need to get a new can of propellent.
It's going to be a self propellent crane? :thinking:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, sweet memories.
Yellow, yellow, yellow....you've started it now, Gizzy. Mind you this could be the colour match you were after :rofl:
9b02e8e1c71849b8ac0a8f16ea3a41d6.jpg

Chris

Trains, Model railways, Photography, Land Rover's
26 Oct 2009
Somewhere cold and damp
Best answers
Country flag
02e3875655b54ebeb2b4d4d4c3868c6c.jpg
The british version of the self contained crane looks like this, no match wagon as everything contained within the length of the wagon. Tools vans are used to carry packing for the out riggers, oil and spare parts and the lifting tackle (slings, shackles, different hooks).

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
Ah, sweet memories.
Yellow, yellow, yellow....you've started it now, Gizzy. Mind you this could be the colour match you were after :rofl:
images

If only it came in a tin Puggy!

Hang on, it does?

Looking for an aerosol match if anyone can help please....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
That's done it, it's going to take Mel ages to super-detail, paint and mark up the Matra to look like that! :rofl:
Mel, how much for the tool box truck you no longer need? :D