DCC Reverse Loop

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
Is there any limit on the number of separate isolated track sections that you can connect to a DCC Reverse Loop Module? I want to connect three!!
Bill

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
As nobody else has stepped up to the plate I'll take a stab at this and am more than willing to be corrected! I think the answer is one isolated track section. But you can use the module for one or two loops. One isolated loop when the module reverses the polarity of the loop. Or, two loops if the module reverses the polarity of an isolated intermediate line connecting loops.

Phil S.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have connected 2 reversal chords to a single module, but I only allowed one train in either one, at any one time.

I have now obtained another module, as my new railway will have double track reversing loops, which could have a train running on each one....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have connected 2 reversal chords to a single module, but I only allowed one train in either one, at any one time.

I have now obtained another module, as my new railway will have double track reversing loops, which could have a train running on each one....
I think that Gizzy has nailed the issue on the head, ensuring that only one train is on any of the separate used of the Module at one time. It may be OK for you to remember this Bill, but will any visitors or young operators?

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Agree, when I had a garden railway my boss at the time (big railway enthusiast) came round with several twin motored locos and blew the reverse loop module.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You could pretend to have a Massoth one and ask their hotline for an official answer! :)
FWIW I think the answer is you can have as many as you like provided only one is used (has a loco entering/leaving) at once.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You could pretend to have a Massoth one and ask their hotline for an official answer! :)
FWIW I think the answer is you can have as many as you like provided only one is used (has a loco entering/leaving) at once.

Yes, that's how I've always understood it too.

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, I would stress that it's not just the locos, but lighted cars, and in many situations, even metal wheels bridging the "sensor gaps" (however you do it).

Basically makes sure there is only one TRAIN in ANY of the reversing sections at one time.

Greg

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Actually, I would stress that it's not just the locos, but lighted cars, and in many situations, even metal wheels bridging the "sensor gaps" (however you do it).

Basically makes sure there is only one TRAIN in ANY of the reversing sections at one time.

Greg

Yep, some of my older lighted cars draw as much current as an 0-4-0.
---Hutch

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Gents
Thanks for your replies. I sort of thought that you could have as many sections as you wish provided only one was in use at once. The device is in effect a polarity reversing switch and provided you only ask it to do one job at a time, it should work. It makes sense for me to connect three sections to one device and I do not have any track powered lights in my cars.

I attach below my track diagram with the reverse loops shown dotted. I have found out by practical experience that because of the the number of running combinations near the pond, I need three sections

I suppose that there is only one way to ind out if it works Rev.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think the ones Top Left by the Blue Blob will be the potential problem if you accidentally cross over both sections at once.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think the ones Top Left by the Blue Blob will be the potential problem if you accidentally cross over both sections at once.
I agree with JD. But I also think you don't need to reverse loop the left leg of the triangle, as per the thicker black line inthe diagram below.

I reckon if you can move the point for angled (right) leg of the triangle, to the other side of the point next to it as per the red line, you would solve the problem that JD mentioned, but still retain the operation you want....

Untitled.png

Last edited:

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that but I do need the third reverse section as I have reverse polarity across it as measured at the tracks and removing it creates a short circuit.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most reversing loop controllers sense when a short occurs and reverse the section based on that.

It normally takes very little current to do this, and it can be as little as a metal wheel bridging an insulated gap at the sensing location.

I'm trying to point out that it is not just locos and lighted cars. I hope that is clear now.

If your reverser can be triggered as described above (and all that I have will do this) then if you have a train in the reversing loop AND cars bridging ANOTHER gap somewhere else, your reverser can go nuts reversing and reversing...

So, again best practice is design the system so you CANNOT have a TRAIN (any cars) in more than one reversing "block" at the same time.

Nothing is worse than running a layout with strange electrical goings on...

Greg

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Greg
This is without the reverse loop controller connected and no trains on the track !!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe I am confused...

The question is in post #1...

Distinction between lighted cars and any part of train reinforced in post #8

I am responding to post #9 trying valiantly to make sure the point that that the wheels of a train (lighted car or not) can trigger an autoreverser gets across.

I'm sure Hutch and others understand, just trying to help you avoid issues.

Greg