Darjeeling C Class - Now which colour?

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I've decided to purchase a RoundHouse Darjeeling C class live steamer. I do like the default green colour but with so many green (and black) locomotives in the stable I though having a 'big red engine' would be impressive therefore I was thinking of perhaps a maroon one with polished brass steam dome and boiler bands.
The image below is a re-coloured one I did from a copied image I found online of one in Darjeeling blue. The blue one is very impressive and perhaps even 'plausable' but not sure if is right for me. Roundhouse Darjeeling 'C' Class - SchienenDampf.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but honest opinion please. Waddayareckon? :think:

View attachment 309069
A brand new dark maroon Darj C class was steaming at the Rails in the Garden AGM in December 2022. Handsome & big!!

Attachments

• F2CECFF5-24E9-4802-860F-01761712DF39.jpeg
    F2CECFF5-24E9-4802-860F-01761712DF39.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FFBC40C2-5E0F-4AED-9657-72CA09BCF152.jpeg
    FFBC40C2-5E0F-4AED-9657-72CA09BCF152.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It is likely in this picture to be in works grey at the NB works as was the norm for a brand new loco as a record and publicity pic. It looks to be on a temporary raised track and there is what is likely standard gauge in the foreground leading to my supposition.

That makes sense. I noticed that the frames appear the same colour as the rest of it. :nerd:

Darjeeling blue was a long way in the future when the Pacifics were delivered. They were never blue in service, although both now carry unauthentic blue in their "preserved" condition. Unfortunately for Paradise they were only ever green or black.

I do actually like the green on offer but was looking for something different but not necessarily prototypical. I find a discussion like this becomes a good learning experience. :)

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A brand new dark maroon Darj C class was steaming at the Rails in the Garden AGM in December 2022. Handsome & big!!

Wow! :clap: Is that a standard RoundHouse 'Maroon' or the darker 'Fairlie Engine Maroon'? I suspect the darker one. My mocked up colour in the first post is a bit of a guesstimation because the paint colour examples on the RoundHouse site are a little ambiguous. Samples on a screen usually are. :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many moons back when I ordered my RH Stanley Steam Tram they tried to put me off my choice of ‘German’ livery of black with red underframe. When they supplied they had to admit it did indeed look very good. I wish my Green Jack was in a similar livery now but quite happy with the prototype Black lined livery on Russell. If I were to get either of both of the Darj Pacific and Garrett they would both be liveried thus as below. Guess I am a Henri Ford type of guy.
D3B35FBE-8DC6-4478-88C8-F500B07E6A07.jpeg