Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I've decided to purchase a RoundHouse Darjeeling C class live steamer. I do like the default green colour but with so many green (and black) locomotives in the stable I though having a 'big red engine' would be impressive therefore I was thinking of perhaps a maroon one with polished brass steam dome and boiler bands.
The image below is a re-coloured one I did from a copied image I found online of one in Darjeeling blue. The blue one is very impressive and perhaps even 'plausable' but not sure if is right for me. Roundhouse Darjeeling 'C' Class - SchienenDampf.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but honest opinion please. Waddayareckon? :think:

Test Maroon 3 800.jpg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
An impressive engine no matter what colour. And it does look good in red

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with Paul, but my choice would either be a good Green much like BR Steam of black with red frames ala German Steam.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I do like the original blue myself. I bought a Fowler in Red (crimson lake) and it is not the red I expected. I though it would be like BR crimson, but its RAL name is Gulf Red, should have gone for maroon :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Works for me..

Way to fast, to my eye, though..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Works for me..

Way to fast, to my eye, though..

PhilP
Agree even if it is a Pacific, I imagine the DHR on all lines had pretty slow speeds, likely not much more than 30mph. I wonder if the Roundhouse one will take a SloMo.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Have you considered colour matching to the body to the pony truck and tender axle box covers,

Also there the option of cylinder cover lining such as the below photo.

hope this give you something to thing about

Dan

18CCDC12-B145-43AF-A192-5DF0AD64A5CF.png

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Blue or red - very Indian, and very smart :nod::nod:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Agree even if it is a Pacific, I imagine the DHR on all lines had pretty slow speeds, likely not much more than 30mph. I wonder if the Roundhouse one will take a SloMo.

Here is the RoundHouse in 'Olive Green'. I think green is the most suited colour for the C class but I'm looking for something completely different to my mainly green and black collection.
This one is running a bit slower. Narrow gauge slow chuggers are my favorite. :)

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Or blue and red, because there isn't enough of either colour.. :worried:

PhilP

That's how the thrifty new Australians used to paint their picket fences back in the olden days. :giggle:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the RoundHouse in 'Olive Green'. I think green is the most suited colour for the C class but I'm looking for something completely different to my mainly green and black collection.
This one is running a bit slower. Narrow gauge slow chuggers are my favorite. :)

Not bad, but the start was a bit of a racing one. However looking at the early bit where the servo changed the gear the crank coming out of the chassis would preclude fitting of a SloMo I believe.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Whichever YOU like. Your railway character.
its a special loco.

i too like red, blue, green, chocolate brown….even yellow, if i had a tropical themed rwy.
that particular ‘not oxide but sorta kinda’ red in the video is stunning, imho. Distinctive, believable, not at all garish.

otoh, if resale might be a consideration, go traditional.
proper black. Or green…or whatever the actual darjeeling loco was painted. Was it blue ?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Whichever YOU like. Your railway character.
its a special loco.

i too like red, blue, green, chocolate brown….even yellow, if i had a tropical themed rwy.
that particular ‘not oxide but sorta kinda’ red in the video is stunning, imho. Distinctive, believable, not at all garish.

otoh, if resale might be a consideration, go traditional.
proper black. Or green…or whatever the actual darjeeling loco was painted. Was it blue ?
It is difficult to pick the exact colour of the red one in the video. Sometimes is looks like an oxide red like IOM but darker, other times only slightly darker than signal red which I presume is the buffer beam and rods.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Probably how the C Class were delivered. Not sure what colour but the lining looks good.
Perhaps it is Darjeeling blue being lighter in pre panchromatic film. :nerd:

Darjeeling C Class Proto Lined 0 .jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Probably how the C Class were delivered. Not sure what colour but the lining looks good.
Perhaps it is Darjeeling blue being lighter in pre panchromatic film. :nerd:

View attachment 309171
It is likely in this picture to be in works grey at the NB works as was the norm for a brand new loco as a record and publicity pic. It looks to be on a temporary raised track and there is what is likely standard gauge in the foreground leading to my supposition.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Darjeeling blue was a long way in the future when the Pacifics were delivered. They were never blue in service, although both now carry unauthentic blue in their "preserved" condition. Unfortunately for Paradise they were only ever green or black.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Darjeeling blue was a long way in the future when the Pacifics were delivered. They were never blue in service, although both now carry unauthentic blue in their "preserved" condition. Unfortunately for Paradise they were only ever green or black.
Fortunately, there's Rule 8

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I loved your video...A true garden railway...who ever said having tracks on the ground never works...shame on them. And steam yet. I thought the video showed the train gong the perfect speed.