convert Spur into triangle.

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
TUXFORD - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE - ENGLAND.
Best answers
Country flag
The main line branches to the left and leads into what will be my timber Mill. There is a spur I use as a head shunt, I am thinking of conecting it back up to the main line only to fasilitate the turning of locos. I would appreciate some help in wiring it up I use Masoth and have a unit number 8157001 Dimax Reverse Loop Module I purchased second hand with out any instructions. I have attached a sketch
6ff4c11e2a914b2ca120b9c0786b8095.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Go to the Massoth site here:

http://www.massoth.com/index.en.htm...ur questions on how to wire it up. Jon.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Just remember that if you use metal wheels then the train must fit wholey within the switching sections as it would be possiable to short out bith ends at the same time.

I have two set up just for this purpose and have removed the shorting jumper and used the sensor track sections.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The instructions are a bit vague when it comes to wiring this type of junction with DCC.

I think this should do the trick

4ccc651137aa4faa8edd9b89f0f59084.jpg

Do others agree?

The gapped (reverse loop) section must be longer than the longest train if you are using metal wheeled stock as metal wheels will bridge the gaps and short out the unit.

Rik

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Try this - as long as your branch line does not rejoin the main line - it has an advantage over just reversing the new chord as your trains can be as long as the rest of the branch line.

This method uses the "short circuit mode". If you want to use the track sensing mode you would have to insert the sensor rails at the track breaks and wire them back to the module as per the instructions.

75578f5bf7474ecf9f854aea08756d39.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Heres another option to make the section longer for longer trains.

75566a5859c546b1bd3e344620621eac.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I was going to suggest as per Mark's diagram but with the breaks near the mainline points as per Steve P. The "Loop" power feed to the tail of the Y (as per Mark) so it's feeding the toe of the point as is normal practise, that way you can have live or dead frog points, routing or non-routing whichever you prefer.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
Heres another option to make the section longer for longer trains.
Yes - I think Steve and Muns have cracked it! Assuming the timber branch is a dead end then the wiring can be as below which will avoid problems with metal wheels:

If the timber branch is not a dead end then as per Steve's with as great a distance as possible between the gaps on the triangle and the gap on the Timber Branch.
dcdac07580bc4021844df86a7c1d774e.jpg

Rik

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Try this - as long as your branch line does not rejoin the main line - it has an advantage over just reversing the new chord as your trains can be as long as the rest of the branch line.

This method uses the "short circuit mode". If you want to use the track sensing mode you would have to insert the sensor rails at the track breaks and wire them back to the module as per the instructions.

images
If you have motorised points, do you even need a reversing unit? Using Muns diagram, if all the rails marked are isolated and you fit an accessory switch to the top point, it will take its power from whichever of the 2 incoming lines it's aligned to.

Then again if you've already got the reversing unit....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wobbleboxer said:
muns said:

images
If you have motorised points, do you even need a reversing unit? Using Muns diagram, if all the rails marked are isolated and you fit an accessory switch to the top point, it will take its power from whichever of the 2 incoming lines it's aligned to.

Then again if you've already got the reversing unit....
Your idea would work, but the accessory switch only has a low current rating, which wouldn't be enough for larger amp hungry locos. These switches are really for low power applications like signals, rather than track power.

You could however use the accessory switch to operate a relay, but this adds complexity....

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks to you all for your help. It does not seem as difficult as I had first thought it would be, I intend to start construction of the branch today. will keep you all informed on progress.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Isolated metal wheels won't cause a problem anyway if the rail gap is long enough and filled with resin to stop the wheel dropping into the gap and completing a circuit. Wheels are only point contact so the resin filled gap only needs to be a few mm's.

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
First a couple of photos to show the area I have to work with
bb7f8823bb7a485493f07b4141d7a430.jpg
60d1e6162887480c9a823249aedb433d.jpg

I'v been playing about with track, and plywood templates to create the industrial area I would like.. The triangle is at the far end of this photo and the long curve down the left hand side will carry on over the pond to create what I hope will look like a log pond. The timber mill will be built over the pond filter to disguise it if possible.
ced6c3dffaa14150bfa1dd6c06ce88c1.jpg
a29a0f1f183c45ee96b2c432f9f96e72.jpg

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
That looks really impressive - plenty of space.
I like the idea of using the templates - another idea I'll pinch (along with the 1001 others) if ever I extend my railway.

All the best with your developments

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
if you go to my YouTube site "dunnyrail" and search on "reverce loop" you should find my short vid that shows how I did a test set up of an LGB module that I bought from this forum. Hope this helps a bit too.
JonD

Last edited:

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there every one, I'v finally come up with the track plan for the branch to no where. Now you my remember me asking about building in a triangle, well I have done this, but on chatting with a mate the other night he pointed out that because I run on DCC, but my layout is wire up so as i can connect on to analog if mates bring locos I my well have a wiring problem. So here I am again, HELP, I have attached a photo of the track roughly laid out and a sketch of my intended wiring, but the triangle has yet again given me sleepless nights.
466bc2c0dab344468123be3ffee82cd5.jpg
8985b99c0117487aae2d162f7e494056.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Looking at the plan you could do it like this but when on anlouge you would switch off the reverse loop unit and just have two seperate sidings.

4ea837b1138f43718dd4125f3bef414e.jpg

Red is isolated sections on both rails
Green is output from reverse loop module
Yellow is the feed to the reverse loop module

If using sensor tracks then two of the tracks would need to be in parrallel.

Pm if you want Steve

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. Thanks for your reply, but I would have liked to use all the branch in both DCC and Analogue. A long Discussion took place at the club last night and the following was suggested.
6ad808fb036b4229921003f5aee1356f.jpg

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Please excuse the sketch's I haven't found out how to do the fancy stuff with drawing yet.