considering llagas creek aluminum track since its 1 dollar per foot much cheaper then LGB track

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
since i need about 150 feet of track (not including turnouts) for my dog bone layout i thought i could Llagas creek track since it almost 7 times cheaper then LGB per foot but turnouts are twice as expensive any thoughts

remember the goal is to get the total cost of track under 1,000 USD

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you have no intention of employing track power of any kind. If that is the case you could consider Al track. If you want to use track power aluminum track is a non-starter. The tenacious protective oxide layer it develops makes it worthless for track power.

I don't think I'll be the only one to tell you that being "penny wise and pound foolish" is not a good thing when it comes to your right-of way. Even if I didn't care about track power and wanted the look of code 250 rail over code 332 personally I'd select the Llagas Creek (or Sunset Valley) brass or stainless steel track over the Aluminum track just for its strength if nothing else.

I do question your cost basis though and whether you will actually be saving money in the end. I can find LGB 1.2 meter straights for $24 each and LGB 1.5 meter flex (rails and tie strips) for less than $400 for 15 meters or roughly $40 per 6ft. I assume you have found somewhere to get Llagas Creek Al track for significantly less than than retail price of $32.50 per 6ft section.

Last edited:

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you have no intention of employing track power of any kind. If that is the case you could consider Al track. If you want to use track power aluminum track is a non-starter. The tenacious protective oxide layer it develops makes it worthless for track power.

I don't think I'll be the only one to tell you that being "penny wise and pound foolish" is not a good thing when it comes to your right-of way. Even if I didn't care about track power and wanted the look of code 250 rail over code 332 personally I'd select the Llagas Creek (or Sunset Valley) brass or stainless steel track over the Aluminum track just for its strength if nothing else.

I do question your cost basis though and whether you will actually be saving money in the end. I can find LGB 1.2 meter straights for $24 each and LGB 1.5 meter flex (rails and tie strips) for less than $400 for 15 meters or roughly $40 per 6ft. I assume you have found somewhere to get Llagas Creek Al track for significantly less than than retail price of $32.50 per 6ft section.
you got that right just battery (and maybe when i am richer i might get live steam but not likly)

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
since i need about 150 feet of track (not including turnouts) for my dog bone layout i thought i could Llagas creek track since it almost 7 times cheaper then LGB per foot but turnouts are twice as expensive any thoughts

remember the goal is to get the total cost of track under 1,000 USD
Is it as sturdy and long-lasting though - or is that not a major issue for you?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Buy used LGB track at swap meets and club meetings. If you see the light and go track power later you will thank me.

Your comparison numbers are off... your 7 times figure, were you basing that on 2 bare rails and printing the ties vs purchasing track ready made? That's my only guess how you could come up with that.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
maybe when i am richer i might get live steam but not likly
Well, some live steamers aren't that expensive compared to some of the LGB offerings, all mine have cost less than £800. So 2 are second hand, but you can pay over £1000 for a track powered or battery locomotive.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Referring to never using track power.. i.e. only battery and steam

(I had to reread it myself)
I was referring to this bit of the statement by NWGG in post #3 "maybe when i am richer i might get live steam but not likely"

Should have said "Never say Never". (typo)

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I have been in HO a long time. I now want to start a Garden Railway. I got a nice f unit off of e bay yesterday and now to get some track. I am learning fast. So no Aluminum. Get Aristo or LGB Poco. Lligas Creek g scale track. Where I live it goes from minus 30 to plus 30. I would like to buy used and leave it out year round. Ya

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
I have been in HO a long time. I now want to start a Garden Railway. I got a nice f unit off of e bay yesterday and now to get some track. I am learning fast. So no Aluminum. Get Aristo or LGB Poco. Lligas Creek g scale track. Where I live it goes from minus 30 to plus 30. I would like to buy used and leave it out year round. Ya
hmmmm well i want aluminum cause i don't want to deal with track power

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Buy used LGB track at swap meets and club meetings. If you see the light and go track power later you will thank me.

Your comparison numbers are off... your 7 times figure, were you basing that on 2 bare rails and printing the ties vs purchasing track ready made? That's my only guess how you could come up with that.

Greg
i don't know i have seen battery power work very well for people the peckforton light railway is great example of that anyway the plan is to switch between llagas creek aluminum for the mainline and LGB brass for the east yard

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Have you considered Cliff Barker track? Cliff Barker - Home

Cheaper than LGB, available in stainless and either buy or make your own pointwork.

I've gone down that route and can confirm that even the huge flanges on some G scale stock runs perfectly.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
w
Have you considered Cliff Barker track? Cliff Barker - Home

Cheaper than LGB, available in stainless and either buy or make your own pointwork.

I've gone down that route and can confirm that even the huge flanges on some G scale stock runs perfectly.
what about narrow flanges?