Connecting Massoth light board for PIKO Taurus loko to Uhlenbrok 77500 deco

jose07

Modell trains -N scale, G scale- DCC Massoth
25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
Hello,

I hope someone can give me a bit of help with this.

Facts:
- I bought a Piko Taurus (Porsche) loko and fitted with ready to plug-in Uhlenbrok deco 77500 plus sound. It only has white lights in the direction of travel.
- I bought the white/red LED light boards from Massoth (ref. 8128001). I have put them in place and now I have to connect them to the deco. These light boards are prepared to allow for the central white light to simulate a beam light.

Issue:
- How to do the connection to the Uhlenbrok 77500 deco.
- Note: I do not want to use at this point the beam light feature, I just want to connect the lights to work normal, meaning: white-front, red-back according to the direction of travel.

Uhlenbrok 77500 deco:
jpg.gif
77500_photo.jpg
From Massoth Leaflet instructions:
Massoth provides instructions to connect the lights to their Massoth decoders as follows:
- Direct mode:
jpg.gif
Taurus_light-Massoth01.jpg
- Extended Mode 1:
jpg.gif
Taurus_light-Massoth02.jpg
Extended Mode 2:
jpg.gif
Taurus_light-Massoth03.jpg

QUESTION:
When connecting the light boards to an Uhlenbrok deco, I can easily identify how to connect the White and Brown wires, in a crossed mode for front and back lighting, to the terminals 6 and 7. The yellow wires must then be connected to terminal 5 or 10 (+20v), but I am not sure where to connect the green wires. Can anyone confirm my asumptions and give me a hint with this ?????

Many thanks in advance.
Jose

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not a combination I'm familiar with, but going by the manual for the Massoth lighting board the green wire is for you to switch the high beam on/off using a DCC function. In the 2nd example image of your post they've suggested hooking it to F1 and F2. I guess you can use any of the A1 - A8 functions on your decoder? You'll probably want to choose a function number that doesn't clash with the sound functions? That might need a bit of function remapping in the decoder?

If you don't want to use the high-beam function then probably just leave the greeen wires diconnected, with the ends insulated.

That 2nd image seems to be the most helpful, it shows wiring up the head and tail lights crossed-over as you've already worked out.

jose07

25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
Thanks ntpntpntp,
I will give it a try as you suggest.
Jose

jose07

25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
It works, with no problem. I did not connect the green wires to output functions but I asume they will work as well.
Cheers.
Jose

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Gnash:crying:....I ordered one of the Massoth Taurus lighting kits a couple of weeks ago from a well known G scale outlet....and a package arrived today with the wrong item in it...
Gnash!

Will be on the phone:eek:nphone: tommorow...

Malcolm

jose07

25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
Hi Brixham, just a couple of hints:

(1) it took me 2 days to realize I was connecting the light wires to the wrong points in the Uhlenbrok deco. They must go to terminals 5, 6 and 7. I was connecting them to terminals 3, 4 and 5. Fortunately nothing was damaged but I did all combinations and even changed the UH deco before I realize I was wrong !!.
(2) You have to remove the painting of the plastic spotlights where the red LEDs go (plastic piece that have the 4 round spotlights and is mounted in the body front of the loco) in order to have the red light going through. I did it with an screwdriver, softly and gently removing the black and silver paint. To avoid the red light to be seen also through the white spotlights (they are very close to each other) I put some grey tape around the red LEDs to avoid that effect.

I hope with these hints you save mounting and dismounting the loco 3 or 4 times as I did.
Cheers.
Jose