Colour Light Signals on MTS Layout

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
Hi

I am using LGB 55025 MTS Switch Decoder, Four Channel to switch the points on a new layout under construction on the Isle of Man.
I understand that I can change the CV values in the decoder to provide a on off output, what I cannot find is what is the voltage and is it AC or DC when set to this mode.
I want to use some of the outputs to operate colour light signals via a small relay I am aware that the maximumoutput per channel is 1500mA with the total output from the 55025 being limited to 3000mA but cannot find voltage information anywere. Can anyone help.
I could do this using point motors fitted with supplimentry switches but since I will be putting in 10 signals this gets expensive.

Regards
Ian

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Don't have one of these decoders but I would assume the output voltage would be the supply voltage to the decoder minus a volt or two for internal component drop. It's designed to operate LGB point motors which are reversable DC ,so I'd expect DC (or at least half-rectified AC) output.
Stick a meter on the output!

[edit] The manual for the 55025 says that when it's set to output a flashing light effect this works by alternating positive/negative output, so this confirms it must be a DC output I reckon.[/edit]

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your suggestions.
Last night I put a 22K ohm resistor across one of the outputs in order to load it.
The output is 22.6 v D.C. should anyone else need to know.
I then put a 24v D.C. relay across the output which pulled in without a problem and
drew a current of 35mA well within the limit of the output.
Problem solved.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Ian,

I'd be interested in seeing what you are doing here, so could you post more details when you install your signals please....

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
Not a problem Gizzy, although it may not be until spring that they are fully installed
I will be experimenting over the winter period and let you see what I come up with.

Regards

Ian