Code 332 to code 200 connector

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect this is hugely niche, but I decided to knock up a quick and dirty connector to connect the two rail types since I have a bunch of both and thought it might be usful to be able to connect them.

Code 332 to Code 200 rail joiner

It looks a bit ugly and needs testing to ensure it doesn't upset any flanges but it does the job.
It provides a packer under the Code 200 side. If I ever use it, the intention would be to gradually bring the 200 track height down to baseboard level

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Now that looks really useful, in fact just what I could do with@

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
:O

I'm glad you may have a use for it Paul. I almost didnt mention it as I didn't hink anybody else would want or need it!

I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance, to see the clearances are okay for flanges

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Nice idea as the need to connect disparate height rail is a oft repeated subject on this forum. You might want to think about a brass strip laid into it to be placed either at the foot of the rail or on the outside face of either rail below the rail head. The Tenmille/LGB code 332 adapter uses a brass strip with an etched hole at each end to locate to 2 shallow pips molded in the plastic adapter to locate it and ensure continuous electrical connection. You could incorporate that into your connector. Or do you have a solution that have I missed ? Max

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Nice idea as the need to connect disparate height rail is a oft repeated subject on this forum. You might want to think about a brass strip laid into it to be placed either at the foot of the rail or on the outside face of either rail below the rail head. The Tenmille/LGB code 332 adapter uses a brass strip with an etched hole at each end to locate to 2 shallow pips molded in the plastic adapter to locate it and ensure continuous electrical connection. You could incorporate that into your connector. Or do you have a solution that have I missed ? Max
Ooo. Thats an excellent point Max. I don't have a need for electrical continuity so hadn't provisioned any. I'll remix it so there's an insulating and a conducting version!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've got plenty of LGB track, but I was given the chance of some Peco Gauge 1 cheap, if I could join the 2 properly, I wouldn't have to buy any track for years!

• Haha

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Ooo. Thats an excellent point Max. I don't have a need for electrical continuity so hadn't provisioned any. I'll remix it so there's an insulating and a conducting version!

Now, that is probably the best idea for 3D printing I have ever seen. The fact that it is insulating is a good idea too, if you want continuity, then use jumper wires. Top marks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect this is hugely niche, but I decided to knock up a quick and dirty connector to connect the two rail types since I have a bunch of both and thought it might be usful to be able to connect them.

Code 332 to Code 200 rail joiner

It looks a bit ugly and needs testing to ensure it doesn't upset any flanges but it does the job.
It provides a packer under the Code 200 side. If I ever use it, the intention would be to gradually bring the 200 track height down to baseboard level
Brilliant piece of design, you should have them in the shops for Xmas.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gavin. I thought afterwards, an easy solution to the conductivity issue would be to have them isolating by default and to solder jumpers between the tracks if continuity was needed :)

I think I'd better revisit the design and tidy it up a bit as folks seem to like them!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Would you be producing any to sell? If so what sort of cost would be involved? Coping with a paper copier is likely to end in tears, a 3D printer doesn't bear thinking about

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Would you be producing any to sell? If so what sort of cost would be involved? Coping with a paper copier is likely to end in tears, a 3D printer doesn't bear thinking about
PMd you Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Next one to do would be 332 to 250 as in LGB to Peco G Track. That is if you want to go that way.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Next one to do would be 332 to 250 as in LGB to Peco G Track. That is if you want to go that way.
Can do.
I hadnt bothered as there were the Peco ones that did this already, but if it's useful, I've probably got some code 250, so it'd be easy to make a code 300/250 as well as a 200/250

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Today I received a very special parcel! Within it were some samples of DGE's rail connectors. After a quick trial run in the kitchen, I'm more than pleased to announce they work great. The flanges of an elderly LGB wagon have no problems passing over the joints, as these are probably the deepest I'll ever use it all looks good. This weekend I'll try to get a set up in the garden and run some proper trials.
Many thanks to Mr Railroad! Now all I need to do is negotiate some land grab

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag
Neat idea! will have to try.. I guess one prints them one at time?