Medium radius points: Piko vs LGB

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I suspect that like quite a few of the G-scalers out there, I?ve been looking for an excuse to try some of Piko?s larger (medium radius) points. Well, now I have, so here?s a quick briefing on topics that may be of interest to others. No excuses for a direct comparison with LGB?s well-known 16xxx (radius 3) points which are the nearest direct alternative for most of us. However, the first and possibly most important learning item is that the two points are not ?drop-in? replacements for each other ? as you will read?.

4b9c601614174f3792dad7e59e5ceb01.jpg

First things first. As supplied you get a box, like this. Piko?s is a pretty substantial package with reinforced cardboard interior and solid outer lid. Should survive even the Royal Mail. Note that Piko?s box is rather longer than LGB's. The reasons for this will be clear in a moment, when we open both boxes...

4fffc1777eda4ce086c332db3c3ed0ed.jpg

It?s immediately apparent that the Piko point is longer on the straight leg than LGB?s. Piko?s is 480 millimetres, LGB?s 440. Less obvious is that the curves are different too. Piko?s stated curve is 1243.08 millimetres, against 1200 for LGB. Both curves are, though, to the same 22.5-degree angle. LGB call theirs radius 3: Piko use radius 5. Confusing!

Equally obvious is the electric motor supplied as standard with the LGB point and the extra 7.5-degree curve in Piko?s box. The UK price difference between the two points is (as of May 2010) almost exactly the cost of the motor. If you don?t need the motor, replacing it will effectively make the LGB point dearer than Piko?s by several pounds and there are some fitting issues (see below)

Piko?s short curve has two functions. Added to the point, it makes a 30-degree curve, to match the other commonly used angle in G scale trackwork. Doubled up with another of the same points in 30 degree mode, it can create a crossover with 320mm spacing between tracks, exactly double Piko?s standard 160mm track spacing. By way of comparison, LGB?s standard track spacing (radius 1/radius 2 difference) is either 165mm (1998 catalogue) or 180mm (2008 catalogue). Whichever LGB figure is correct (I suspect the 1998 one is), I repeat: the two companies? track geometries are NOT the same!

As is normal for G-scale, both points are dead-frog types, with no self-isolating facility: all tracks are electrically live at all times. The track height (code 332) and joiner dimensions are identical, as is the choice of brass rails. There should be no issues physically connecting Piko points to any other variety of code 332 tracks in common use.

Both points come complete with an instruction leaflet and details of the relevant company?s track geometry, though neither is explicit about details such as track spacing or curve radii ? you need a catalogue or internet access for that! Finally, the small piece of plastic in the Piko box is a point lever, designed to resemble a continental European prototype, which clips onto the tie bar, enabling manual operation without finger-poking the point blades. Not especially useful in my opinion.

The absence of an electric motor on Piko?s point is interesting. The LGB point is useless without either the motor or an aftermarket manual switch with an internal spring since the switch blades are otherwise free to ?flop around?. Piko address the problem by fitting a spring to the point?s tie bar, as seen below. Users of Peco?s OO/HO pointwork will recognise the principle immediately:

54e8d6de28bd41eda2b16750916bac67.jpg

1b8ea59d1b2f41d7a5e8c2f559e1fc0a.jpg

I wrote to Piko asking if the spring was made of any rust resistant material and within 24 hours received a reply advising that the material used is stainless steel wire. That should be enough to prevent deterioration in the UK?s wet climate, though note that Piko have also provided a neat drainage hole under the tie bar.

A quick comparison with an LGB point shows that apart from the drainage hole, tie bar construction is similar, with both points easily able to have an electric motor fitted. Either company?s motors will fit to each point. On this, there is complete compatibility. Irritatingly, neither LGB nor Piko have made holes in the sleepers ready to take an LGB manual point lever. On Piko?s this is less of an immediate problem, provided that the spring has a long life. On both points, installing one of LGB?s hand levers (part 12060) requires the user to carve off the end of a sleeper and drill a screw hole in the same sleeper. Not a particularly good piece of design by either company?

The Piko point has ?chunkier? ends to the switch rails. So far, I have noticed no difference in running through them, but the relatively sharp kink suggests a rougher ride for stock over the long term. On the other hand the design may be less prone to twisting. Time alone will tell.

Moving along the point, the frog area shows clear design differences. LGB use tapered rails, presumably to maximise the potential current pick-up area. In practice, the diminishing ends of mine seem to get rapidly dirty, as per the photo below left.

52cb139b63304c658b599fe421995355.jpg

d5fb4b10fd1f4d9e9ca957ca02b75889.jpg

Piko use a straight edge on the switch rails, but tapering at the frog. The net result is that the dead section of rail at the frog is at least 5mm longer on Piko?s point. Rather more if you assume pickup from every millimetre of LGB?s rails.

Note that Piko?s checkrails are longer than LGB?s in both directions. In my view, highly desirable. It should also be clear from the last few pictures that Piko use a very square-ended sleeper design compared to LGB?s. Presumably this is intended to have more resemblance to main line appearance. On a purely subjective viewpoint, I find LGB?s subtly rounded sleepers more visually appealing.

Turning both points over, the underside shows that Piko have covered up the connections between various rails and the frog area:

11c8cb5d0c9f4d909fa95c04d49abb2b.jpg

fd8e1fbb31484ccaa10c24cdc67fa131.jpg

I?m not really clear why Piko have done this. The plastic pieces are riveted on in only one place, leaving plenty of room for water to intrude (and preventing it from draining freely) and ? at least on my sample ? meaning the plastic bowed slightly preventing the point lying completely level on a flat indoor surface. I suspect that I will drill out those rivets and remove the plastic or push it further into the sleepers.

It is just apparent that Piko?s sleeper spacing is slightly greater than LGB?s, though without this kind of side-by-side picture, it?s certainly not obvious. The arrangement of sleepers around the frog is unprototypical on both points, but necessarily so due to the tight curve and short runoff for the straight rail. There is little to choose between them on this score, though note that Piko emboss their name on the top surface of one sleeper. It?s not a major issue, but it seems a shame to do something so ?toy-like?. You can just see the offending item in the final picture:

35a962516ea240a782569caacd9637ac.jpg

So that?s it. There really is little to choose between the two points in terms of construction and quality of build. The major differences will likely depend on your need for electric point motors and your aesthetic sense regarding each manufacturer?s choice of sleeper design.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. A very thorough and useful review.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I agree, very useful detailed comparison. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I wonder if Heyn (or anyone else) will bring out a live-frog insert for the Piko points? I've been meaning to order some for my LGB R3 points. I've noticed little "Chloe" and "Olomana" are sensitive to the existing dead frogs, and having made my own live frogs for my R5's (over which the little locos now run faultlessly) I think I need to address the R3's next.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Congratulatoins on a Great review Peter. Very pleasing read, and no bias in either direction is great to see.

Hope your planning on putting the point to good use for an extension of railway.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Dave Hub said:
Congratulatoins on a Great review Peter. Very pleasing read, and no bias in either direction is great to see.

Hope your planning on putting the point to good use for an extension of railway.

Thanks Dave (and the others). Yes, when we finally get rid of the builders, work will commence on a short, but useful extension!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Dave Hub said:

Thanks Dave (and the others). Yes, when we finally get rid of the builders, work will commence on a short, but useful extension!

I am very much a fan of the Piko point after suffering numerous derailing issues with my LGB ones both used and new. A problem due mainly to the switch rail not being ground away enough and also in the new versions not having the stock rail undercut sufficiently to bed the end of the swith rail.
The Piko points are not entirely trouble free in this respect if the loco runs onto the point directly from a curve. Fotunately, it is a less of a problem than with the LGB ones and only needs the tip of the switch rail "easing" slightly with a file.
Another small problem has arisen although it may be more to do with one loco than the point but one of the skates on my Saxon has taken to shorting out as it crosses the frog. A quick tweak of the skate with the pliers or a strip of sellotape on the railhead should cure that.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice review and very timely for us.

ntpntpntp can you post a link to the Live Frog conversion/replacement guy please?

JonD

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A good review from the tiggerous one!

Regarding the correct spacing between double track; both your figures are correct.

For R1 and R2, it is 165 mm, but for R3 upwards, it is 180 mm.

You can confirm this by making a crossover with R1 or R3 points quite easily of course.

I agree that LGB geometry is confusing, and Piko seems to have simplified this somewhat.

If you like geometrical puzzles, try working out a track plan with the LGB double slip (Approx R2 and 22.5 deg) or the 3 way point (now R1 and 30 deg, but originally R2 ish and 22.5 deg).

This older version 3YP with an R3 point on my railway, in theory should have 180 mm track centres, but as the 3YP curved road is shorter than on the R3 point, it comes out as 165 mm, which worked out just right for me!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
A good review from the tiggerous one!

Regarding the correct spacing between double track; both your figures are correct.

For R1 and R2, it is 165 mm, but for R3 upwards, it is 180 mm.
(snip)

Most kind. Ta muchly.

On track centres, I was quoting from LGB's 2008/9 catalogue which gives diameters at track centre as follows:
R1 - 1200
R2 - 1560
That means a 180mm difference in radius (spacing) which I agree is most probably wrong. Printing error, lack of attention to detail or whatever.

I hadn't previously heard that the track centres are intended to be different for R3 and above, but the rationale for a larger spacing baffles me. Logically you need wider spacing on smaller radii as the stock overhangs are bigger. By contrast, Piko are consistent on 160mm, irrespective of radius. Ho hum! &:

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Nice review and well done, thanks!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A quick update. Piko advise that the material used for the spring is stainless steel wire. So any reservations on that score are removed, at least for me. :clap: The original text in posting #1 has been updated to reflect Piko's information.

Incidentally, Piko replied within 24 hours of my query. Typical of their excellent customer service in my experience.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
ntpntpntp can you post a link to the Live Frog conversion/replacement guy please?
JonD

try this: http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/ - Modellbau Heyn's online shop. I'm sure he does replacement frogs for LGB R1 & R3, I can't look right now 'cos I'm at work and the site is blocked (only a matter of time before GSC gets blocked too).

My two LGB R5 frogs I rebuilt myself http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=33126&high=frog < Link To Nick's GSC thread on LGB R5 frog conversion, and I've also done some Peco frogs for friends. No doubt I could make new R3 frogs in a similar way but on the other hand if the drop-in replacements are a fair price then might as well save myself the bother.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Today I fitted the final pair of Piko points in place of my LGB ones but before I did so I thought that I would compare their geometry.
The Piko ones are laid directly on top of the LGB.
The attached pic is not too clear in its reduced form but it shows that the track spacing matches perfectly.
The difference in curvature of the turn-outs are barely noticeable. Obviously, as has been said the straight section of rail on the Piko is longer than that of the LGB and some cutting is needed to fit but as I already had 'inserts' at either end it was no trouble to shorten them slightly.

e3556e896ddd482fb187896ce31cd8fd.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
dunnyrail said:
JonD

try this: http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/ - Modellbau Heyn's online shop. I'm sure he does replacement frogs for LGB R1 & R3, I can't look right now 'cos I'm at work and the site is blocked (only a matter of time before GSC gets blocked too).

My two LGB R5 frogs I rebuilt myself http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=33126&high=frog < Link To Nick's GSC thread on LGB R5 frog conversion, and I've also done some Peco frogs for friends. No doubt I could make new R3 frogs in a similar way but on the other hand if the drop-in replacements are a fair price then might as well save myself the bother.

Many thanks for that, yes he does on Gleise and Weichen from his Webb menu (for non German speakers)