An Inexpensive G Scale Shuttle Unit - From Germany!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A shuttle unit, enabling one train to move automatically between two fixed points or stations on a standalone length of track is a favourite G scale accessory. Rack railways seem almost to come with them as standard! However, G scale shuttles (meaning those with more than 1 amp capability) aren?t cheap, so I was very pleased to stumble across the subject of this review, a 2 amp capable shuttle from Ellendt Electronics of Flensburg, Germany.

As a brief summary, I found this to be a first-rate, compact and inexpensive shuttle unit, with some useful extra features too. I recommend it heartily.

Note ? like all shuttles, this unit is for DC track power only

d8e89e7c5afe40bda575708c8bcc58b9.jpg

What Does It Do?
All shuttle units have the same basic circuit. A switch (technically a DPDT) that can reverse the polarity to both rails, coupled to an adjustable timer. A loco runs in one direction until the timer causes polarity to be reversed, at which point the loco runs the other way. In addition to being a visually appealing toy, a shuttle can be used as an alternative to test rollers to ?run in? a locomotive.

Normally, the loco is prevented from running off the track at either end by means of two diodes, fixed across an insulated track joint. All suppliers of shuttles I?ve found so far supply the necessary diodes. Additionally, LGB supply 150mm lengths of track with a connector block and one rail gapped (catalogue no. 10153).

My solution for both insulated joint and connecting the diodes was to buy two Split Jaw insulated rail clamps (about £3) and connect the diodes between the securing screws as shown below:

e32e319ee01541548e9c2616a98d105b.jpg

Technically, a sudden polarity reversal can be detrimental to a locomotive?s motor and gearbox. For that reason, LGB?s unit can be used in a ?realistic? mode that, via additional wiring, gradually reduces the voltage to zero, before switching polarity and then mapping up the volts again. However, this sophistication comes at high cost (see ?What?s the cost?) and for most users is probably unnecessary for two reasons:
1) Most shuttle trains appear to be operated at slow speed and usually come to a halt via the diode controlled sections, rather than suffering a ?plain line? polarity reversal
2) DCC fitted locos? decoders incorporate circuitry that automatically provides protection against sudden polarity switches, even on DC. At low speed, the effects are indistinguishable visually, electrically and mechanically from the LGB unit?s actions

In addition to the basic loco control, the Ellendt unit comes with terminals that can optionally be used for controlling LEDs (for example signals) or relays. Sample wiring diagrams for these are in the instructions.

What?s the cost?
As of July 2010, the Ellendt unit cost Euro 24.90 with free post to German addresses. Postage to the rest of the EU is Euro 4.90. Total to the UK Euro 29.80 (about £25).

Comparative retail prices for similar items are:
Gaugemaster 1.25amp (SS1): £27.95 + P&P
Gaugemaster 2amp (SS1-LGB): £39.95 + P&P
LGB 10340 unit: £165.00 + P&P (*)

Discounts are available from some retailers, of course.
(*) ? includes buffer stop, two 150mm sections of track and all necessary leads

With the exception of the LGB unit, in each case you will need to add the cost of insulated rail joiners, track connectors and wire to connect the power supplies, shuttle unit and track.

What Do You Get?
f5ee025bb34e4586ab121836c02c6e10.jpg

This is what comes in the post from Germany. The unit itself, two diodes to stop a loco at each end of its run and an instruction manual in the German language.
fbfcf091fc7a4d598bebe7ab3b856f3c.jpg

A close up of the circuit board itself shows (left to right):
· Timer unit with adjustment screw (a variable resistor!)
· The controlling chip and ancillary components
· Three solder connections for attaching optional LEDs or relays
· Red LED to show ?reversed? polarity when lit, ?normal? when unlit
· Switching relay, good for 2 amps at up to 30 volts
· Connection block with sensibly sized screw terminals

The unit has pre-drilled holes to attach it to a solid surface. As with all such units, it is NOT weather-resistant and is only intended for use indoors.

How Do I Connect It?
Remember that the instructions are in German, but don?t speak that language? No problem! All you really need is the diagram from the instructions (below) and the following connection information:

1) Connect terminals A+ and A- (A = Ausgang = output) on the circuit board to the track
2) Connect terminals E+ and E- (E = Eingang = input) to a controlled DC supply
3) Turn on the controller and check that a loco runs toward ?station B?
4) Reverse controller direction if required
5) Repeat step 3 and check that the loco stops as it passes over the insulated joint
6) If the loco doesn?t stop, reverse the diode?s connections and ? if necessary ? the second diode too (they must both be aligned the same way round) and repeat step 5
7) Connect terminals marked M to an AC source. A DCC 18 volt supply is fine for this.

Go through these steps and your loco will now travel back and forth, its speed determined by your DC controller and the length of any stops at each end of the track varied by the timer on the circuit board. If the loco doesn?t get to the ends of the line and stop before the shuttle unit switches polarity, increase one or both of the loco?s speed and the timer interval.

7387143d32e24c65b75f321cf21a7de3.jpg

How Do I Get One?
As far as I can tell, the unit is only available on German EBay, but don?t worry, your UK EBay ID will work just fine to access http://www.ebay.de/ < Link To www.ebay.de and you can pay via Paypal. Mine came through the postal system within 3 working days!

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Speaking of inexpensive shuttles!!

In another scale I have a digital DMU its decoder which cost £18 has several features built in to it such as the ability to programme in an amount of (water & coal or) diesel fuel! when this is exhausted the unit stops!

Whilst this is a bit gimmicky another feature is it has a SHUTTLE feature, by entering a few parameters into some CVs the unit will start... run for a predetermined distance ( entered as TIME on the cv) stop then wait for a selcted time then return to its starting point and continue to do this for as long as required!

There are no track contacts or anything else involved.

the striking thing about this is that on each sequence the unit stops at the same place within =/- 2 cm.

The delay time at its stopping point can be HOURS if required!! The shuttle location is not limited to s specific section of track it can occur anywhere on the digital layout!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have noticed that some G scale decoder's instructions have a reference to SHUTTLE but its not enabled on them yet, such a great pity I think!!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Interesting post Steve! :D

It occurred to me when I was connecting up the review shuttle that the only reason it needs AC is to provide a means of measuring elapsed cycles of time: in our case, the cycles of the current supply (i.e. 50 cycles per second in Europe). So hanging this function of a DCC chip - by definition AC supplied - should indeed by child's play. Or does the peculiar waveform of DCC signals interfere with the basic AC cycling somehow?

Whose DCC decoder have you found to have this interesting function? I note that the Massoth G scale CV tables include CV128 which is referred to as Shuttle-Contact 1, but I don't have any more data on that.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
whatlep said:

It occurred to me when I was connecting up the review shuttle that the only reason it needs AC is to provide a means of measuring elapsed cycles of time: in our case, the cycles of the current supply (i.e. 50 cycles per second in Europe). So hanging this function of a DCC chip - by definition AC supplied - should indeed by child's play. Or does the peculiar waveform of DCC signals interfere with the basic AC cycling somehow?

Whose DCC decoder have you found to have this interesting function? I note that the Massoth G scale CV tables include CV128 which is referred to as Shuttle-Contact 1, but I don't have any more data on that.

SURPRISINGLY HORNBY SAPHIRE R8245 max 1 amp (1.5amp stall ) though

I beleive that they are mnufactured by ESU but not 100% sure

pjti

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
From Lenz Gold Maxi manual (3 Amps)

Push-pull (shuttle) train control

To activate the push-pull control via the external reed contact, set bits 7
and 8 in CV51. In addition, set the desired stopping time in CV54. You
need a track magnet to activate the reed contact at each end of the pushpull
section.
Function sequence: If the locomotive drives over the magnet installed in
the track (reed contact is closed), the locomotive will brake with the delay
set in CV4 or the braking distance set in CV52 until it comes to a halt.
When the stopping time set in CV54 has elapsed, the locomotive will
accelerate into the opposite direction. Passage over the first magnet
(which triggered the braking procedure) is ignored. The locomotive will
continue until it reaches the magnet at the end of the push-pull section.
There, the locomotive will brake again, wait for the set stopping time to
elapse, change ist direction of travel, and continue in this direction ? and
the game starts all over again.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
A good bargain but you can make your own cheaper - even at Maplin prices! It is fundamentally a 555 timer circuit with a couple of variable resistors to adjust the wait time. Of course if you are like me and destroy a few 555 chips in the process of making the circuit buying this one will work our cheaper!

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
pjti said:
From Lenz Gold Maxi manual (3 Amps)

Push-pull (shuttle) train control

To activate the push-pull control via the external reed contact, set bits 7
and 8 in CV51. In addition, set the desired stopping time in CV54. You
need a track magnet to activate the reed contact at each end of the pushpull
section.
Function sequence: If the locomotive drives over the magnet installed in
the track (reed contact is closed), the locomotive will brake with the delay
set in CV4 or the braking distance set in CV52 until it comes to a halt.
When the stopping time set in CV54 has elapsed, the locomotive will
accelerate into the opposite direction. Passage over the first magnet
(which triggered the braking procedure) is ignored. The locomotive will
continue until it reaches the magnet at the end of the push-pull section.
There, the locomotive will brake again, wait for the set stopping time to
elapse, change ist direction of travel, and continue in this direction ? and
the game starts all over again.

PJTI
The point with the Sapphire decoder is that, there are NO external triggers required, its all done within the decoder, thus making it a very flexible system as a shuttle sequence can be arranged anywhere that is required and then revised if required,

I wonder if any readers have actualy used the Lenz Gold maxi system, would be interested to know

pjti

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Appreciate the subtle differences Steve, but we are only talking about a couple of magnets here. These can also be very flexible in convenience of placement. Your Hornby decoder would presumably need reprogramming every time you decide to change the stops, not quite so flexible as moving a magnet or two. In addition you can also program an intermediate stop between the end points by adding a cheap module (£10 ???) from Lenz or building your own from 5 diodes. The Gold Maxi has more functions than one could ever need in addition to fancy lighting. Pity it's only 3 Amps though, and Lenz have a very good lifetime warranty deal. Having sung it's priases I must add that I have never really tried to get it all working.

BUT I do like the sound of the Hornby decoder, 1 amp is good for a Stainz and given the problems with finding space to put pukka red box stuff it might be a good alternative. I will look out for one or two.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:

also posted on Massoth forum:
Hi Peter,
I believe that CV128 is used in conjuction with CV56 to configure a shuttle operation. The following is not 100% but my take after reading the manuals.
CV56 is used to set the wait delay.
You will need to connect K1 on the decoder to a reed switch and place magnets on the track to trigger it. When shuttle operation is enabled, and the loco passes the magnet and triggers the K1 contact, the loco will slow and stop, wait for the period defined by CV56 and then reverse. The value in CV128 should be set so that it exceeds the time needed for the loco to pass the magnet, stop, wait, accelerate and pass the magnet again (it defines the period to ignore the contact after the first trigger).
Hope that helps.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have used LGB and Aristocraft reversing units but was always up against the 1 amp limit. I wanted more powerful locos with lights etc to operate on the shuttle lines (up to about 4 amps as one shuttle operates up a pretty steep incline. There are two 'beefy' units available the bazooka (on ebay) and the 8 amp ABC electronics http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LGB-8-Amp-Shu...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4aa2b9a625 < Link To 'LGB 8 Amp Shuttle Service ( auto reverser)' which is a lot cheaper at £36.50 and also available on Flea-bay. Both work very well and come with the two diodes to bridge the track gaps at either end of the shuttle line. The ABC one is a small box with a rotary knob that controls the time between reverses. It is powered itself from a 15 volt AC source and obviously also passes through the voltage from your DC transformer. I have two of them running for two different shuttles and they both use the one 15 V AC supply for self power but each one uses a separate line power supply (in my instance two TE receivers).
They work all day with no probs in the toiling heat that we have had recently and have had to pass through up to 6 amps on occasion! Two big USAT diesels with lights etc etc

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting review, I have built shuttles using magnets /reed swiches and post office latching relays, might have been big in their day, but could handle some stick. Still have a couple working on the tramway layout. :clap: Alyn

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm glad this thread was started because it got me thinkinbg and I have turned my little branch into a shuttle line.
Being careful with money (or a tight old whatsit) I found out my old 55 timer circuit. I hadn't got any spare diodes but I found an expired Aristo point moter which had a couple mounted on it. I also wanted to have two sections at one end so that both railcars and shorter or loco hauled trains would stop in the same place. Luckily I found on old H&M point motor with built in switch which I could use. Including this addition section and switch did mean that I had to take wires from the shed to each end section but that is a minor problem. This solution has cost me nothing as I recycled old stuff - ok it doesn't look pretty but it works.

db7d315c2fa743c89008960e439c5a6e.jpg

The circuit diagram can be found on the internet and it is pretty easy to build as there are not many components. As you buy the relay which controls which way the current goes you can choose one to suit your power needs.

Here is the double section at one end.

983720f5aede4aae8f4d73e4d6d7c1e4.jpg

fa96015993a04c8db89c30696a2c7bdc.jpg

Next job is to build a platform and shelter at the new interchange.

robocop1976

Registered
26 Oct 2009
cheshire
Best answers
looks like you need a degree in science to wire it lol

cost cuting way of doing it tho

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com