Coal Fired Aster Hudson

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This Aster version looks nice and steady on the youtube video and once you have a good fire and the water pump on it should look after it`s self for half a dozen laps or so on a relatively large layout.
I only ever use filtered rain water and the `robust` engine is not too fussy what you feed into the fire box.
It is nice and realistically smelly however if you mix in a little bit of Welsh coal with probably antracite!
I can`t afford the cost of gas or meths now a days so solid fuel and dirty fingers are definitely IN......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6HGFr6UXUM

Attachments

• Coal Fired Aster Hudson 005.jpg
    Coal Fired Aster Hudson 005.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 102

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
That's beautiful Trevor. Elegant, in fact, and that's not a word often used to describe a US locomotive :)

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
i only have one coalie, and recently bought a sack of anthracite for seven quid! runs for an hour on a jamjar full. will last me for ever.... one of the few cost effective pleasures i have, running that loco. great hudson btw... mart

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Just goes to show that there´s more to narrow gauge in live steam .... but sadly that won´t go round my curves :-\

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
very nice, and a great camera too. i do have a question though, why more often than not, does G1 live steam type stuff run while blowing off? is it a scale thing, that actually unless running at speed they tend to have to much steam/heat?

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
as the loco uses water, unless the axle pump keeps up with it, there is less water to be heated and the fire is usually drawn faster by the blast when running so more heat available, hence more pressure. if it happens too much, the wicks could be trimmed down a bit on a meths engine. mart...

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Good to see her running so smoothly. Makes me want to run my coal-fired NGG 16, but that´s definitely not going to happen indoors .... :-\