Coal fired locos - pros and cons

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
For some time now I have been pondering whether to get a coal fired loco. I already have track power DC, track power DCC, battery power, gas fired conventional, gas powered geared - so I fancy coal fired to 'complete the set' (sorry but meths firing just does not appeal).

A couple of years ago I almost put in an order for a DJB Coolum but held back as I was not really sure if my line was suitable for running coal fired. Then my friend ordered one which was delivered earlier this week (see other thread). As you can imagine I was very keen to see it in action.

The problem is that my first very brief experience has still left me undecided.

On the plus side I really like the 'authenticity' of the operation - building the fire, monitoring the water supply and boiler pressure,dropping the fire and so on.

The unexpected thing for me was the lack of sensory experience; no coal smell after the initial parrafin soaked charcoal, very little steam plume and virtual silence except when the blower or axle pump were operating. The operator was able to tweak the controls to produce a glorious plume on starting but this only lasted a few seconds.

Of course this was a new engine running light so I would be interested to know if this is typical.

The other point to consider is that r/c is often impractical on coal fired locos.

So what would you experienced operators consider to be the pros and cons of coal firing?

BRStandard

Railways- large or small, preferably steam. Skiing
5 Jul 2011
Wadebridge
Best answers
Do it!
The right "smell" will come with finding the right coal.
If the loco was virtually silent, then it shows how well it's been built.
If you want dramatic steam exhaust, hang a weighty train on the back and make it work hard (after running in) They love it.
Radio control works well for the regulator, but you don't tend to shunt with coal fired so ignore the reverser. But add a whistle, of course.
I think that coal fired is as near to the ultimate model steam loco operation experience as you'll get.
So I say "go for it." - but that's just my opinion.
Nick

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
All I can say is that since I was bitten by the coal firing bug I don't run my remaining gas fired locos very often.
As Nick said, a quiet coal fired loco means that it's been well built. There's lots of talk about coal firing being a 'black art' but if you have a good loco it's no more difficult than running a gas fired one, but more fun. R/C isn't necessary because with the regulator opened the right amount (one of the fun things to get used to) the loco will run itself. The heavier the train, the louder the chuff. Coal fired locos enjoy working hard, and if you're not careful you can lose the fire running 'light engine' because there isn't enough draft to pull the fire.
If you fancy dipping your toe in the water I'd recommend a DJB Rageth (or even better, an 'Edrig'), either RTR or better still, as a kit. You then learn all about your loco and coal firing in general and if you like it you'll become addicted, and if you don't you'll be unusual! It isn't for everyone but coal firing is more like driving a full size loco than gas firing can ever be.
Go for it!
Steve

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly can run well and sound and smell just right too. I spent a day with Steve and friends and one loco ran for well over an hour with minimum effort. Dan was able to run one after a short tuition and no dramas. I think having an experienced operator there for the first go helps a lot. Here's a link to the steam up I went to.
http://www.gscalecentral.net/Peacemarsh-to-Colesbrook-on-a-sunny-day-m237028 < Link To http://www.forum.gscalece...sunny-day-m237028

I didn't actually drive that time but didn't see it as any more difficult to run than a gas loco and to be honest much preferred smell and the sound without the gas jet hiss, just the blower. Unfortunately I don't have a garden so continue to invest in locos I can run indoors but I was sorely tempted.

jabsteam

1:20.3, 16mm
3 Sep 2012
Colorado Springs, USA
Best answers
Philip - look at this Utube for some glorious coal fired plumes;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhycIRK9NC8&list=PL4F9268DCB7179AA2&index=40 < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...CB7179AA2&index=40
It's all in the coal that you use, but beware - the heavier the smoke and aroma, the faster the flues plug up.

REAL (full size) steam locomotives ARE virtually silent, with just the blower and air pump making any noise.
The roar and howling of a gas burner are NOT prototypical, and that took me some time getting used to.

R/C IS do-able, you just need to mount the battery and receiver in a coal tender, with just small mini servo(s) mounted in the cab or under the roof of the engine. You need a coal tender of some type behind the engine anyway (sometimes its just a 2 or 3 plank wagon) so stuff the battery up in the undercarriage and the receiver in a box underneath the real coal load.

Here's one of my favorite Utube's of coal running;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOtbJsVEH8k&list=PL4F9268DCB7179AA2&index=18 < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...CB7179AA2&index=18

Coal firing is the ultimate in model railroading experience!

Cheers
Jim B.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
.....but I would need r/c on my line with all the gradients.
Don't be so sure Paul. I thought r/c would be a necessity (or at least make life easier) on my railway, to stop the need to tweak the regulator when the loco reached the long 3% gradient I have - plus a few other more gentle ups and downs. Not so! So long as the load behind the loco isn't too great it simply puts its back into climbing the gradient and gets on with the job. Unlike a gas fired loco, the greater the effort, the greater the draw on the fire, and so steam pressure is maintained (or even increased). Given too steep a gradient, a gas-fired loco just stalls.
One of my coal fired locos can start climbing the bank with only 20psi on the gauge and by the time it gets to the top it's blowing off. It's a very impressive performance.
Steve

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses so far- it all looks very impressive. I can feel my wallet starting to twitch...

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
LlongfordRailway said:
The downside for me is the price! I certainly could not afford one so I decided to build one myself. It took about 18months to build based in a lady Anne chassis and I am still tweaking it after each run!

Coal fired is more accessible but it clearly isnt for everyone. Some people wouldn't enjoy the tinkering of steaming and maintaining the fire etc but in this gauge is it fairly easy assuming you purchase from a reputable supplier with good back up.

Here is a video of my engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxN50fQ414&feature=youtube_gdata_player < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...e=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks

Daniel

That's certainly a very interesting conversion - have you posted anything on line on how you did it?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Daniel - I do (now) remember your last thread, it's a shame the original cannot be found. I'm a long way off from purchasing or running live steam but I have always (since my teens) been interested. I'll have to resubscribe to Garden Rail !

The Polly seems a very lively engine!

TL

Registered
4 Jul 2012
Best answers
Go for it.
I can tell you it is great fun, and really enjoyable keeping them in steam, I enjoy running my gas and have just ordered a Karen from Roundhouse, but when the sun is out fire up the coal fired loco and run run run. My second loco is soon to arrive from DJB a converted Ratleth with all the toys.
One tip I found very usful is practise on your own or with other coal fired users as everybody is very helpful.
TL

ChessieRR

Registered
6 May 2011
Best answers
I can recommend a DJB Ragleth also. It is very easy to run, to me it is easier than meths. The firebox on the Ragleth is very large it can get a good draft. I use Maidstone coal and it has a good coal smell. Also if you run in colder weather you can get a good plume. The nice thing about coal is you can run in very cold temperatures. I ran my in 19 F this past winter, and it was still popping off.

In my experience Gauge One coal firing is a lot harder than 16mm to operate if you don't have some experience first. The Ragleth worked with out issue right out of the box. I also find I don't need to rake the fire in the Ragleth, to keep it going.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Should be 52mm x 40mm Jim (inside dimensions). I don't have a Ragleth but both my other DJB locos use the same design of boiler.
Steve

jabsteam

1:20.3, 16mm
3 Sep 2012
Colorado Springs, USA
Best answers
Thanks Steve, good info. I've got a DJB Robert Kit coming this summer.