Coal fired lady Anne, then fowler- now Katie?!

Llongfordrailway

Edrig, Little John, Ruby, Ffion and Coal Fowler
17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hello all,

I've been thinking over the past month or two about my coal fired engine, it went from a failed lady anne to a fowler and when I finally laid the tracks for llongford railway, fowler's tender constantly derailed on 3 curves of the railway where they were tight and where unintentional gradients have appeared, the connecting bar from the engine to the tender also lifted the front bogie of the tender which again derailed it. By this time, there is a frustrated driver and a failing fire and dodgy water and steam levels as it is not a fully running more than a few feet before stopping.

Alas, so close but so far as the engine runs brilliantly on the rolling road but I have no where to run it on an actual railway. I have been thinking about the wider picture as there is no point spending so long building the engine and then being unable to run it so I've had a change of plan. I have not wanted to return to attempt to have it as a lady Anne due to the difficulty with limited space in the water tanks and zero room for a balance pipe between the tanks so I've decided to trial a saddle tank and see how far I get. I'm not going to scrap the tender yet until I know he saddle tank idea is a goer but either way I need to do something as I want the engine to be able to run on my railway.

The pictures below are the rough beginnings of the saddle tank from a couple of hours in the workshop with initially cardboard and then off cuts of spare brass. Any thoughts and ideas are greatly welcome- the Mrs just thinks the engine is a forever changing entity that will never finish but let's hope third times a charm!!!

Regards

Daniel[attachmini=1]

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• securedownload1.jpg
    securedownload1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 82
  • securedownload (10).jpg
    securedownload (10).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 79

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Well I`ve spent a couple more hours in the workshop this afternoon and soldered the saddle tank together and it has successfully held water! I need to put the unions in it for the axle pump pipes to connect to but so far things seems promising. The smaller of the three holes is to be the filler hole but I won`t open it up in size until I have ordered the little filling cap from Roundhouse.

Regards

Daniel

Attachments

• securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 58
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    16 KB · Views: 61
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 59

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The tanks seems to suit the loco quite well!

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hi mick,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it seemed to suit the engine too but ill see how it goes.

Daniel

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Nice work Daniel that does suit the loco well and you will have pre heated water going in the boiler.
Thanks for sharing.
Ross

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hello all,

I`ve now finished the saddle tank but just needs a spray paint now. I need to test it first to make sure that the water feeds the axle pumps ok but the pipe work has just been moved from the tender and bent up, cut to size so with a bit of luck, there shouldn`t be any problems!

Regards

Daniel

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 72
  • securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 82
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 78