David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have amassed a fleet of ten locomotives to service the traction requirements of the Claptowte Railway, five steam and five diesel locos. It is my intention to ultimately repaint, renumber and rename them to portray a unified corporate identity. The steam locos will all be named after female members,and the diesel locos after male members, of my family. I am not concerned about potential loss of resale value as I have no intention that they will be resold. Arrangements have already been made that upon my passing, the railway, in its entirety will be passed to my two grandsons.

The first loco to be modified started life as LGB 20272 RhB No11 'Heidi'. The loco was purchased second hand on eBay. It is factory fitted with a decoder and sound.

dig 210704001.JPG

dig 210704002.JPG

dig 210704003.JPG

dig 210704004.JPG

I have altered this model by removing the RhB markings and numbers and the name 'Heidi' from the smokebox. There was a need to touch up the paintwork here and there. I am not overjoyed with my efforts, I had to mix my own paint to try and get the shade right of green, it's not perfect but close enough at normal viewing distances. I painted the buffer beams in signal red, which I am pleased with as I feel it gives the model a lift. The smoke box door had to be repainted once I had scraped off the name 'Heidi'. The model was finished off with new number plates and name plates for 'Christine', my wife, custom made by Light Railway Stores - Custom Nameplate Studio. So here we have it, the first of my upgraded locos and the pride of the line, being the only one of my steam locos fitted with sound.

dig 211203001.JPG

dig 211203002.JPG

dig 211203003.JPG

dig 211203004.JPG

dig 211203005.JPG

dig 211203006.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
I am not concerned about potential loss of resale value as I have ...
... determined that the personal value in having fun with them in the right here and right now is the very reason they were acquired in the first place! :smile:

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have amassed a fleet of ten locomotives to service the traction requirements of the Claptowte Railway, five steam and five diesel locos. It is my intention to ultimately repaint, renumber and rename them to portray a unified corporate identity. The steam locos will all be named after female members,and the diesel locos after male members, of my family. I am not concerned about potential loss of resale value as I have no intention that they will be resold. Arrangements have already been made that upon my passing, the railway, in its entirety will be passed to my two grandsons.

The first loco to be modified started life as LGB 20272 RhB No11 'Heidi'. The loco was purchased second hand on eBay. It is factory fitted with a decoder and sound.

View attachment 292984

View attachment 292985

View attachment 292986

View attachment 292987

I have altered this model by removing the RhB markings and numbers and the name 'Heidi' from the smokebox. There was a need to touch up the paintwork here and there. I am not overjoyed with my efforts, I had to mix my own paint to try and get the shade right of green, it's not perfect but close enough at normal viewing distances. I painted the buffer beams in signal red, which I am pleased with as I feel it gives the model a lift. The smoke box door had to be repainted once I had scraped off the name 'Heidi'. The model was finished off with new number plates and name plates for 'Christine', my wife, custom made by Custom Nameplate Studio. So here we have it, the first of my upgraded locos and the pride of the line, being the only one of my steam locos fitted with sound.

View attachment 292992

View attachment 292993

View attachment 292994

View attachment 292995

View attachment 292996

View attachment 292997

David

David I see the valve gear has been bent out of kilter on both sides. The downwards facing rod closest to the piston should be closer to vertical, the bar from it has flipped over somewhat. Example below though not a Heidi but I hope you see what I mean.
image.jpg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
David I see the valve gear has been bent out of kilter on both sides. The downwards facing rod closest to the piston should be closer to vertical, the bar from it has flipped over somewhat. Example below though not a Heidi but I hope you see what I mean.
View attachment 293011
Many thanks, I had not noticed, now rectified.

David

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A very smart looking piece of custom work.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Very nicely done ✔

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
dig 220208002.JPG

dig 220208001.JPG

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
No5 Christine now features on a new mouse mat for my desktop computer.

dig 220328009.JPG

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
David, if you look back at post number 4 you'll see that the hiccup in the valve gear is present in the photo on your mouse mat. :-(
Now that bit of news will antagonise David every time he uses his pc. Well it would me anyway.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Not being a rivet counter, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I shall never give it another thought.

David

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
David,
I am not a rivet counter either, so please excuse my ignorance. Do British prototypes have 3 headlight like the German ones?
I just wondered since Christine still has 3. ;);)
I hope she is less temperamental than Stephen Kings old Chrysler by his novel of the same name... :lipssealed:o_O

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
David,
I am not a rivet counter either, so please excuse my ignorance. Do British prototypes have 3 headlight like the German ones?
I hope she is less temperamental than Stephen Kings old Chrysler by his novel of the same name... :lipssealed:o_O
The short answer is no, but then this is not a prototypical British Railway, it is a completely fictitious free lance kit bashed set up. You would need to read the History of the Claptowte Railway in order to understand the thinking behind it. I think the history is worth a read, but then I am biased as I wrote it. It can be found as post #2 on the attached thread.
The Claptowte Railway - A Complete Rethink

David

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
The short answer is no, but then this is not a prototypical British Railway, it is a completely fictitious free lance kit bashed set up. You would need to read the History of the Claptowte Railway in order to understand the thinking behind it. I think the history is worth a read, but then I am biased as I wrote it. It can be found as post #2 on the attached thread.
The Claptowte Railway - A Complete Rethink

David
Thank you, David.
It is indeed a good read. It is nice to see someone else devise a complete "alternate reality" for their dreams.
The road I want to build when I retire will be a similar history although an American, transition ere theme.
Imagine a world where petroleum was never as cheap, and cal filer steam survived another 20 or 30 years...

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
David,
The 3rd (top) headlight appeared in the 2000s on new builds and rebuilds(class 37s/57s/73s etc). The first loco fitted was the class 92s, they had what we call the "cyclops" or"Ulysses" headlight for the channel tunnel and French railways, if you had problems with them, you could put them into euro/French mode to get out of trouble, however the headlight would come on, a bit of a give away! Also the speedo would change to KPM:eek: this was very much just to clear the mainline. Most GB Rail Freight ones (used on the Caledonian sleepers) have been modified to work on BR AC.
Hope this helps

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
The 3rd (top) headlight appeared in the 2000s on new builds and rebuilds(class 37s/57s/73s etc). The first loco fitted was the class 92s, they had what we call the "cyclops" or"Ulysses" headlight for the channel tunnel and French railways, if you had problems with them, you could put them into euro/French mode to get out of trouble, however the headlight would come on, a bit of a give away! Also the speedo would change to KPM:eek: this was very much just to clear the mainline. Most GB Rail Freight ones (used on the Caledonian sleepers) have been modified to work on BR AC.
Hope this helps
Thanks
The two lower "ditch lights" were added here in the 80's.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Christine in the Autumn sunshine, 16.10.2022.

dig 221016010.JPG

David