David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
All of my diesel locos are now turned out in the Claptowte Railway corporate livery of black underframes, Hunt Green bodywork, grey roofs and signal red buffer beams and fly cranks/coupling rods. I am very pleased with the result. Prior to starting on the diesels, I carried out a similar exercise with my steam locomotives, turning them all out in unlined black, all, that is, except for No 5 'Christine', the ex LGB RhB No 11 'Heidi', which remained in black/green livery. Given the complexity and cost of the model, when I initially altered it, I baulked at a full repaint, a decision I have long regretted. When lined up together, I think the steam locos look good in their unlined black, but No 5 always stuck out like a sore thumb. Having completed the diesel fleet, I decided that No 5 has to be all black, for continuity. I found that removing the green tank sides, and the cab, was a lot easier than I feared. There were a lot of parts to remove, prior to the repaint but I feel the effort was worth it.

No 5 'Christine' is now turned out in unlined black livery with a cream cab interior. Completed 1.9.2023.

dig 230901006.JPG

dig 230901007.JPG

dig 230901010.JPG

dig 230901011.JPG

dig 230901012.JPG

dig 230901013.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just a bit more information on the repaint. Having dismantled the relevant component parts, those destined for a colour change were first sprayed with grey plastic primer. The cab interior surfaces were painted in BR cream and when dry were masked up The exterior surfaces were treated to a spray coat of Halfords satin black.

I had purchased the model second hand and the previous owner appears to have added a second figure to the cab. What I assume to be the original figure was a standard LGB driver figure, standing very erect and holding a fire iron in his right hand, that extends down to his boot. As he is the driver, he would have no need of a fire iron, so I cut this off and repainted him to look a bit more British. The second figure, which I assume was added by the previous owner, was a nondescript hatless figure holding a shovel, I assume either a farmer or a track worker. His shovel was all wrong for a fireman so I cut off the head and crafted a new one from thin plasticard and a wooden cocktail stick. I then repainted him to match the driver's uniform. Having stripped out the cab interior, I took the opportunity to pick out some of the controls in various colours to add a bit of interest.

The pictures below some the modified crew and cab controls prior to reassembly.

dig 230901001.JPG

dig 230901004.JPG

David

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
'Christine' soaking up some sun in the garden, 2.9.2023