Chipping an LGB 24402 Alpine classic crocodile with sound

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mbendebba said:
hello keith:

I am certain that the problem is not in the hardware or the connections but in the software, i.e. the programming. Did you ever resolve the problem?

No it went back to the supplier after he had a second attempt to resolve it and made it worse!
I am now awaiting an ESU card.
Disappointing because the QSI sounds are superb.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mohammed, just opened the crock up. Guess what no dip switches
5056598626c54c6e8e7c104fe08eecb4.jpg
db74beb2007b494e91cc6882acdd99fd.jpg

On the bottom of the locoshould be a gold sticker, the first &last digits give year of manufacture. Mine is 001053 which equates to 2003 1st may. You may also notice that it is an onboard decoder.

On most locos the dip switches sould be turned off when chipped.

What you have done appears to be correct. Suspect it is the motor booster chip thats at fault.
They were discontinued several years ago

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Actually just noticed mine is 27420. We're talking about two locos here. Sorry about that

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Phil: I also have the 27402 but that one works like a charm. I am trying to chip the 24402 so that I can do double heading with 27402. I think that I am going to end up installing either the LGB 3amp decoder or the massoth XL decoder depending on which one is less complicated to install.

Keith: that is always what happen when products from different manufacturers are involved. Good luck with the ESU.

Mohammed

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mbendebba said:
Keith: that is always what happen when products from different manufacturers are involved. Good luck with the ESU.

Mohammed

Mohammed
So far as I can tell mine has been the only QSI card with this problem although I am aware that the lights did not operate correctly with the first QSI cards in the K27.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again folks:
Well, I have made some progress since my last post. I disconnected the decoder, the motor booster, and the interface cable; I shrink wrapped all their connectors and reinstalled everything one more time. I reset the decoder to the factory settings and tested the loco on the track.
The loco run going relatively fast but at the same speed in both forward and reverse. The sound is working perfectly well but in serial mode, and It is definitely a great sound. I guess some of the old LGB sound board will only work in serial mode (or it may be the 55030 that only work in serial mode). I am determined now to sort this thing out before change course.
I have since discovered that LGB of America recommended two 55021 for chipping this loco while LGB Germany recommended one 55021 and 55030. More to come!

Keith try sending the sound command in serial mode,

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mbendebba said:
Hello again folks:
Well, I have made some progress since my last post. I disconnected the decoder, the motor booster, and the interface cable; I shrink wrapped all their connectors and reinstalled everything one more time. I reset the decoder to the factory settings and tested the loco on the track.
The loco run going relatively fast but at the same speed in both forward and reverse. The sound is working perfectly well but in serial mode, and It is definitely a great sound. I guess some of the old LGB sound board will only work in serial mode (or it may be the 55030 that only work in serial mode). I am determined now to sort this thing out before change course.
I have since discovered that LGB of America recommended two 55021 for chipping this loco while LGB Germany recommended one 55021 and 55030. More to come!

Hi Mohammed think about a massoth XL chip. Cheaper than LGB for one chip that feeds both motors and that way it leaves you with aa spare chip. :clap:

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil:

I am seriously considering that option. I have obtained a color coded wiring diagram for an XL installation and it looks as straight foward as the two decoder installation. However, I am now determined to first discover why my installation is not working when it should and once I have done that I will opt for the single decoder solution. It is more elegant that the 2 decoder solution.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mbendebba said:
Hi Phil:

I am seriously considering that option. I have obtained a color coded wiring diagram for an XL installation and it looks as straight foward as the two decoder installation. However, I am now determined to first discover why my installation is not working when it should and once I have done that I will opt for the single decoder solution. It is more elegant that the 2 decoder solution.

Pretty certain it's the booster chip I have spoken about them to one of our people and they recall problems, like I posted the other day It might also be an idea to fit the adaptor 8150701 every cable just plugs in

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Phil: I do not think that I can use the Massoth adapter board because I have a single, large PCB that serves as the sound card and the main circuit board; I do not an onboard decoder in this loco like the one you have in the 27402. The instructions for connecting the XL to the board in my loco seem to be straight foward and relatively simple.

RhBGe6/6

RhB LGB
8 Feb 2010
Albany, NY
Best answers
All of the dip switches should be set to off. If the engine is operating at all under MTS control then the switches are in the off position.

RhBGe6/6

RhB LGB
8 Feb 2010
Albany, NY
Best answers
Philbahn said:
Here's mine
images

And here's mine (actually my Father's). He rode the real one when it was first painted.

IMG_4728crop-2.jpg

The models are great, but I think this one had the best sound.
Actually, the original Alpine Classic Croc had the best sound of the LGB's; I think LGB cut the budget by the time the blue croc was released.

Samedancroc5.jpg

LGBDigital154.jpg

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Heres mine with the open air wagons going over the viaduct

77cbf67c15d54afeaa2fa07aebe83bbf.jpg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
mbendebba said:
Hello again folks:

Mohammed I am using MTS2 and only have the serial mode.
The card would not work in analogue either!

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
RhB: you are absolutely right, I have both the Alpine classic and the Glacier Express, and I definitely prefer the sound of the Alpine classic to that of the Glacier Express. I like your consist, I need to get one of those baggage cars, I have been searching for one for quite sometime now.
Phil: that's quite a piece of layout you have there. RhB model catenary masts are almost impossible to get on this side of the pond, what is the availabity on your side?

RhBGe6/6

RhB LGB
8 Feb 2010
Albany, NY
Best answers
mbendebba said:
I like your consist, I need to get one of those baggage cars, I have been searching for one for quite sometime now.

The consist is based on the train my Dad rode.

IMG_3629.jpg

LGBDigital298.jpg

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
They come on German ebay from time to time. I'll keep my eyes open if you want

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
palmerston said:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/showprofile?memid=923 < Link To mbendebba, have you set the Dip switehes to OFF, because in your pica about the circuit board they are in the ON position!

Palmerson< I did set all dip switches to off before I tested the loco. You are correct the picture was taken while I was doing the installation