Cheapest Function Decoder

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
I am looking for a simple (cheap) On-Off function decoder to drive a lighting display with a load of the order of 30mA.

Recommendations please.
Bill

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If you want to use the same DCC signal / voltage as your track then the only ones I know of are Massoth 8FL or Massoth M motor decoder which may be cheaper. I think Zimo do a function decoder as well in their MX68x range, but they and the Massoth are all in the order of £20-£30. The LGB and Massoth single accessory decoders which are designed for point motors primarily can be configured to drive lights instead. They cost a bit more but are already weatherproofed which may be a factor for you depending on where the lights are.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
In the us it would be the TCS FL4 (4 function) for about $21 Interesting, the Zimo MX82x decoders are mid $35 each here....

I'd sure like to see what function decoders are available for £20, $26 US .... that's pretty inexpensive...

Greg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
The Zimo MX685 is available for £20 in UK from YouChoos and spec says it can handle up to 35v track voltage.
http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/Functions-Decoder_E.pdf
I have no experience of Zimo products so I can't attest to whether this decoder is any good or not.

I do have experience of the Massoth options mentioned but they are at the £30 end and upwards.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dave, the 685 seems hard to find over here, the larger ones are available.... apparently Zimo also makes the MX681, which is 6 outputs instead of 8, perhaps that is even cheaper. Still $28 here, looks like you guys get a better deal over there! I'm moving!

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth 8122302 lighting boards have an additional output. They're available in the US at $35 for a pair of them. That's $17.50 apiece. Set them up so the onboard lights stay off (or just don't turn them on) and use the A2 output. 30mA will not be a problem for them.

Phil S.

Last edited:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's a nice idea P phils2um a good bit of lateral thinking.