Cheapest Function Decoder

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Country flag
Hello
I am looking for a simple (cheap) On-Off function decoder to drive a lighting display with a load of the order of 30mA.

Recommendations please.
Bill

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Country flag
If you want to use the same DCC signal / voltage as your track then the only ones I know of are Massoth 8FL or Massoth M motor decoder which may be cheaper. I think Zimo do a function decoder as well in their MX68x range, but they and the Massoth are all in the order of £20-£30. The LGB and Massoth single accessory decoders which are designed for point motors primarily can be configured to drive lights instead. They cost a bit more but are already weatherproofed which may be a factor for you depending on where the lights are.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
In the us it would be the TCS FL4 (4 function) for about $21 Interesting, the Zimo MX82x decoders are mid $35 each here....

I'd sure like to see what function decoders are available for £20, $26 US .... that's pretty inexpensive...

Greg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Country flag
The Zimo MX685 is available for £20 in UK from YouChoos and spec says it can handle up to 35v track voltage.
http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/Functions-Decoder_E.pdf
I have no experience of Zimo products so I can't attest to whether this decoder is any good or not.

I do have experience of the Massoth options mentioned but they are at the £30 end and upwards.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Thanks Dave, the 685 seems hard to find over here, the larger ones are available.... apparently Zimo also makes the MX681, which is 6 outputs instead of 8, perhaps that is even cheaper. Still $28 here, looks like you guys get a better deal over there! I'm moving!

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Country flag
The Massoth 8122302 lighting boards have an additional output. They're available in the US at $35 for a pair of them. That's $17.50 apiece. Set them up so the onboard lights stay off (or just don't turn them on) and use the A2 output. 30mA will not be a problem for them.

Phil S.

Last edited:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Country flag
That's a nice idea P phils2um a good bit of lateral thinking.