Cheap Wagon

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Just either got a complete bargain, or a total pig in a poke, but for £3:99 not too much to lose!

Attachments

• IMAG1565.jpg
    IMAG1565.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG1567.jpg
    IMAG1567.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG1568.jpg
    IMAG1568.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG1570.jpg
    IMAG1570.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Playmobil..
Nothing wrong with that.. Bargain! :rock:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Just either got a complete bargain, or a total pig in a poke, but for £3:99 not too much to lose!
It's Playmobil so you've got quite a bargain. The roof of the guard's compartment is missing and not easy to get hold of, otherwise it looks complete. There should be a weight under a plastic cover underneath the middle of the chassis.

It looks as if the platform with the guard's compartment on may not be fitted properly, or else the comparment has been damaged. The couplings have been changed.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The original couplings have been removed and were replaced with what look like a knuckle type, unfortunately one has disappeared, there's also a buffer missing, but at the money I paid for it, I'm sure something can be sorted.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon you did well - also potential for conversion.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
considering, that playmobil uses the truck mounted couplers to keep the wheels in line, i want to ask, if you could make a pic from the underside.
i'm just curious, what, if anything, they did to line up the wheels after putting body mounted couplers

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I've seen people use them before. I'd give it the rusty chipped paint look so it looks less like a jelly bean hopper.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

I can feel a kitbash coming on; at that price its a perfect trial candidate if you don't kitbash already.
It only cost 4 quid or $10 Aust that is almost the cost of 2 beers nothing much to lose and all the skill practice to gain.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You gotta love Playmobil. They're quite tough. My only issue with them is the long wheelbase. If your track is a bit "manky", derailments are likely.....:rofl:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You gotta love Playmobil. They're quite tough. My only issue with them is the long wheelbase. If your track is a bit "manky", derailments are likely.....:rofl:
Not a problem I've found with the weight in place under the chassis.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Yeah!
Our education of 'The Colonials', in 'Proper English, like wot we speak' is paying off! ;)

You got-it Dan.. Excellent example. :clap::clap:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I bought it with the intention of making it look more "real", but it will have to be a roundtoit job. The wheels are actually on swivels, the same as LGB, so should be alright on tight radii.
Gap, unfortunately £3:99 is pushing it for 1 beer over here these days, but as you say, it's going to last a damn site longer!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hm your track must be really manky. Mine is a bit manky in places and no problems with Pm stock, well no different to LGB and certainly better than converted and shortened Newqida. Speaking from experience as I have 4 PM Based vehicles in normal use on my line. And they must perform to acceptable standards during Timetable Operations or they are discarded while investigations are undertaken to see what is causing the problems for remedial action to be taken.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I bought it with the intention of making it look more "real", but it will have to be a roundtoit job. The wheels are actually on swivels, the same as LGB, so should be alright on tight radii.
Gap, unfortunately £3:99 is pushing it for 1 beer over here these days, but as you say, it's going to last a damn site longer!

Paul,
If beer hits $8 a glass here I'm giving up drinking, its nudging $5 at the moment and you should hear the old blokes at the bowls club whinging.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Paul,
If beer hits $8 a glass here I'm giving up drinking, its nudging $5 at the moment and you should hear the old blokes at the bowls club whinging.
Yes I said yhat when it was near to £1 a pint. In London you can now pay over £5 in many places. But I still enjoy a pint, just not so many.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hm your track must be really manky. Mine is a bit manky in places and no problems with Pm stock, well no different to LGB and certainly better than converted and shortened Newqida. Speaking from experience as I have 4 PM Based vehicles in normal use on my line. And they must perform to acceptable standards during Timetable Operations or they are discarded while investigations are undertaken to see what is causing the problems for remedial action to be taken.

I would give my track a rating of "Mank", just a step up from "Manky".....:rofl:.....In the past I have tried, without much luck, LGB's 335 mm long wagons. Their wheelbase is just long enough to find mank on my line. The standard 300 mm wagons and coaches do ok, but the Lehmann Toy Train wagons and coaches do even better. On these pieces of rolling stock I have made the bogies almost rigid. They have just a hair of play. Along with metal wheels and added weight, the Toy Train rolling stock does not cause any issues with derailments.