Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of locos with LGB 55021 decoders that are set up with F8 as the sound on/off key.

My Massoth setup interprets F8 as "shunting speed", so sending an F8 command to these locos doesn't turn the sound off, it just reduces their speed by around 50%.

Maybe I've missed it, but I just can't seem to find anything in the LGB documentation that tells me which CV(s) to change to use something other than F8 to mute the sound.

If someone is able to advise me that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A Massoth decoder interprets (by default) F8 as 'Switching speed'.. You can change this by altering the value of CV59 (default=8). Note the present value, and try setting it to '0'. - This turns the function off.

Do all the other sound functions work?

It sounds like you have original sound-boards in the loco(s)?? These would need CV49 changing to pass serial pulses via A1. - Read CV49, it should be an odd number. Add one to the value if not.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of locos with LGB 55021 decoders that are set up with F8 as the sound on/off key.
If someone is able to advise me that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

I may be able to take a guess if I knew what sound units you are using and how they are connected to the 55021s

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
In one case the loco has all original boards, in another it has a 55021 hooked up to a standalone LGB sound unit (65004 If I recall)

D

Deleted member 1986

Reading between the lines, try a CV read of 138, if reports back as 8, try writing a value of 12 to CV138, move sound on/off to Function Key 12

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
CV49 in the 55021 is a voltage setting. Did the poster mean the system command station needs this change??
Also the manual does not show the 55021 as having CV 138. The 65000 series may have this

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
CV49 in the 55021 is a voltage setting. Did the poster mean the system command station needs this change??
Also the manual does not show the 55021 as having CV 138. The 65000 series may have this

Whoops! - My bad..
Of course, the OP talks about a 55021, but this is not a sound decoder, so the sound part is most likely an original LGB board??

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Did you ever get this to work?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Did you ever get this to work?
No. In one case I swapped out the LGB boards (55021 and standalone sound unit) for a Massoth XLS so i can turn sound on/off using an F-key, and in the other - where I have a 55021 connected to the original main board and use the factory-fitted sound board - I just turned the volume right down when I wanted a quiet session. (A bit clunky but i didnt want to lose the original sounds)

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Phil,

Not knowing your level of experience with these I apologize in advance if I am either too detailed or too simple.

I will share the following based on what I went through with the hope that it may help.

I have a 65000 sound unit controlled by a 55015. I have a 55021 decoder in a loco and I have set the Loco's address and the 65000's address to the same value.

If I understand your reply above, you are now most concerned about a 55021 decoder in a loco with a sound board on the loco that is part of the loco.

Not owning any locos with on-board sound, the first question I have is, "does the sound board on the loco have its own address?

If no, than I assume when you select the loco's address you should be able to use F8, assuming the board uses F8 as the on-off.

If yes, i.e. the soundboard has its own address, then you would have to select that address with your controller (55015p for me) as if it were a loco and then use F8.

Alternatively, you could change the address of the sound board to the same address as the loco and then when you select that address you would be sending signals to the sound board and the loco simultaneously and therefore F8 should work.

I had a odd occurrence with my set-up that is worth sharing and may provide insight. The net of it is that the instruction manuals they provide are not always reliable.

I have a 55021 in a loco. I also have a 65000 sound unit that I have set its address to the same address as the loco. The 65000's sounds respond to buttons 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 8 (7 is blank) according to the 65000 Manual. However, in reality it responds to 1,2,3,4,7,8 (6 is blank)

I had gone back and forth with a Massoth/LGB rep in Germany to try to get the unit back to the factory setting such that 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 controlled the sound with the proper assignments for each button. We were unable to get it to work. We changed all kinds of CV settings with all kinds of results. We did resets many times. He had no good explanation other than I might have an new or older version of the unit and he could not tell.

Having said this, I accepted that the unit worked with the new button assignments and that button 6 was blank. I then tried to change the button assignment on the 55021 for controlling the F1 output. The idea was to use button 6 to turn F1 on and off so as to control the smoke stack which was wired to the F1 output.

The 55021 manual says the CV51 has a value that designates which button controls the F1. According to the manual, a value of 13 in CV51 causes Button 6 to control the F1. I found this untrue. I took a guess and set the value to 14 and that caused Button 6 to control the F1 output. According to the manual, a value of 14 should cause Button 7 to control F1.

My point in all this is that some of this seems to be hit or miss or at best, it is just poor documentation.

So back to your situation, I would look for a manual on the sound board that show's it CV settings and the manual on the loco that shows its CV settings. I would then look at the CV51 settings on the 55021 and see what you can work out.

I am sorry this is not a precise solution. I share the frustration you have with this. Please know that the frustration we all have is why we all do this. It is like smashing your finger in the car door. It feels so much better than the everyday frustrations in life. As the one fellow said in one of the posts, we can vent our worries with booze or with CV values. LOL.

Cheers for a Happy New Year.

John
Pennsylvania, USA

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You would need to disconnect the decoder / sound unit that you were NOT trying to program, else changes could affect either or both units CV values..

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
John
Thanks for taking the time to post the info. Plenty there for me to look into and experiment with!
Not sure about the "fingers in the car door" - I'll maybe give that a miss! However, sorting CV issues does often seem to me as frustrating as clearing up my dog's "land mines" from the garden, putting the "treasure" into the bin only to find the blighter has exploited the pristine garden to drop another mound!
All the best for 2018!

Reactions: 1 user

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
You would need to disconnect the decoder / sound unit that you were NOT trying to program, else changes could affect either or both units CV values..
Thanks Phil. I've been ill of late and the old grey matter isn't what it was so I would have clean forgotten to disconnect the 2 decoders. As Homer Simpson would say "D'oh"!