Changed out coach lighting

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
This is a photo showing my Bachmann observation car next to the coach. The coach has the original 2 incandescent bulbs lit by a 9-volt that comes in the car. The Observation car has a string of micro-LEDs run by 3 AA batteries that I installed today. Frankly, the 2 bulbs were pretty pathetic. You could barely see the cars were lit when running them at night.

IMG_5070-small by ChromeLibrarian, on Flickr

Reactions: 2 users

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
This is a photo showing my Bachmann observation car next to the coach. The coach has the original 2 incandescent bulbs lit by a 9-volt that comes in the car. The Observation car has a string of micro-LEDs run by 3 AA batteries that I installed today. Frankly, the 2 bulbs were pretty pathetic. You could barely see the cars were lit when running them at night.

IMG_5070-small by ChromeLibrarian, on Flickr

That is a great price of work.

Lighting is something that I have always liked to have, but until I switched to some bespoke super capacitor powered LEDs for my Playmobil, I was never satisfied with the results .

I am not into DCC as I like automation too much, so constant direct track powered lighting is not a great option, as the track voltage is usually too low for the lights to be effective.

I phased out my original 18v LGB LES units long ago and experimented with options including low voltage bulbs through a regulator but these we're too dim.

I have never fancied batteries, although the image looks great. What is the battery life?

At present my LGB stock has modern LGB 20v units which are still disappointing on the track voltage. The rest have the super capacitor equipped LED units, which work well and I like a lot, but they are expensive!

All are track powered via a roller bearing pick up van, usually at the end of each train.

Always interested in seeing how others deal with lighting and like to 'borrow' the odd idea.

James

Reactions: 1 user

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
No idea what the battery life will be yet. We'll just have to wait and see. Although I use head lamps at work powered by 3 AAA batteries, and those last ages, and these LEDs are much lower wattage.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I just purchaged 100 3,5mm warm white leds. 3,3volt.

Can I simply hook these up to two penlites? Or is a tesistor needed somewhere?

Great read btw!!
you will need a resistor in the circuit. Not at all difficult. I will respond later wit a suitable item.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I just purchaged 100 3,5mm warm white leds. 3,3volt.

Can I simply hook these up to two penlites? Or is a tesistor needed somewhere?

Great read btw!!

Henri,

Thank you. Yes you will need a resistor, but I am rubbish at working this out. I have two very clever chums who are brilliant at the Ohms law stuff. One of them or someone equally skilled will no doubt be able to tell you what you need to know:

James

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
No idea what the battery life will be yet. We'll just have to wait and see. Although I use head lamps at work powered by 3 AAA batteries, and those last ages, and these LEDs are much lower wattage.
Yeah, I think that we have gone full circle and battery lighting is probably the way to go.

A simple circuit with a pack of LSD re-chargeables, and life's a beach :rock::rock::rock::rock:

With suitable LEDs, the possibilities are endless :nod::nod:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A 560 ohm resistor is all you need, this sits firmly in the middle of what may be required and so can accept a large amount of variance in LEDs and power supplies.
i have used these in buildings and coaches with no problems at all - both on 12 V supplies and DCC voltage which is nearer 20V
At 3V, in theory you dont need much resistance but I would add a bit.

Huh? What?

Registered
19 Jun 2017
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
I went to a local craft store and bought a short set of decorative LED lights that come with a battery box/circuitry already attached to wiring with the LEDs already part of the wiring. It was merely a matter of removing the 9-volt battery box, which is a snap, and pulling out the wiring for the incandescent lights. Then I mounted the AA battery box, and ran the LEDs where I wanted them and tacked them in place. The battery box has a 3-position switch for off/on/timer. Timer, presumably, shuts off the LEDs after a specific time, though I have not tried it to see how long.

Might have been cheaper to buy all the individual components, maybe. But it could not of been easier than to do what I did, for less than $10.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this link. They mention 10cm or 30cm lengths although only 10cm lengths seem to be available at present.

I guess longer would be ideal. I am buying a trial few lengths to play with - see how it goes!

Thanks again!

James

My bundle of these arrived today and I had a quick play with them......

They are amazingly neat and ridiculously bright!

My passengers will need to be issued with sunglasses!

Obviously brightness can be dimmed and I am looking a yellow filter to make the yellow ones more yellow!

I am going to do some more playing and tinkering and aim to report back.....

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I got a pack of 30mm ones (maybe a different supplier), going to look at coach lighting. I got Warm whites - we will see how bright they are?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I got a pack of 30mm ones (maybe a different supplier), going to look at coach lighting. I got Warm whites - we will see how bright they are?
What were their GCSE grades? :nerd::nerd::nerd:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Whats a GCSE?
Did real exams when I was a lad!

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
A* or 9 in modern parlance!

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag

I think mine are described as Warm White too... Thank heavens I didn't get Brilliant White. I have bought some translucent yellow plastic.

My plan is to use the light securing holes in roof to hold the filter and glue the strip directly to the roof behind it.

I am going to trial convert an LGB 4 wheel coach with a 10cm length and a 3064 bogie with a combination of 30cm and 10cm lengths.

I hope to be able to show some images in due course.

James

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
But whats a 'pass'. Oh, I nearly forgot, your not allowed to fail these days.

More seriously, I feel sorry for employers who have to try to understand all this.