Can anyone identify this wagon?

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
The SAR 25NC looks very similar except that the bogies on my model are set back further from the end of the frame. My tightest curves are 4 ft radius which it manages quite happily. I put in a speculative maximum bid of £41.59 and forgot about it. I was surprised when I got the notification that I had won it for £41. I did not appreciate what a bargain it was until it was delivered and I was able to examine it more closely. One other nice feature is the spring that connects the two bogies, holding them in alignment and making it very easy to put on the track.

gep4

G scale garden railway & indoor layout
24 Oct 2009
South Staffs.
Best answers
I may have found the answer. Look in G Scale Journal Vol.27 No.4 winter 2013
pages26, 27, 28. It looks very similar to the crane's support wagon, or even the crane's chassis.
Hope this helps.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
gep4 said:
I may have found the answer. Look in G Scale Journal Vol.27 No.4 winter 2013
pages26, 27, 28. It looks very similar to the crane's support wagon, or even the crane's chassis.
Hope this helps.

Sadly I did not renew my G Scale Society membership last year so I no longer get the journal. Is it handbuilt or commercial?

gep4

G scale garden railway & indoor layout
24 Oct 2009
South Staffs.
Best answers
I have his website will post it here for you. I am guessing it is in USA.
www.thegalline.com he is a retired engineer but no othe address. It is a model of a Bucyrus 250 ton Wrecking Crane, I assume that is a USA term. 1/29 scale. 29 inches long.kit is a flat pack of styrene sheets plus fittings, moveable but not powered. Very interesting article in the journal. Do you know anyone near to you that may have a copy.

I do not know where you are, but I am in South Staffs just outside Wolverhampton. You are wlecome to have this copy. P. M. me at gep4 if you are not too far away and could collect.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the link Gerald but this is a different chassis from the one I have. He has some interesting stuff on his site though.

thegalline

Registered
29 Jan 2011
Best answers
Hello all.

First let me say that it is not one of mine. My designs are all cut in styrene.

It is not a crane frame in that there is no fixtures for outriggers.

My guess is that it is a tender frame. I would further guess that with the flowers on the journal boxes that it may be a Japanese prototype.

If you like interesting I will soon have pictures of the PRR 490797

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/amtk16000.html#Photo that I am finishing up right now.

Alan www.thegalline.com
virgal@verizon.net

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
thegallline said:
Hello all.

First let me say that it is not one of mine. My designs are all cut in styrene.

It is not a crane frame in that there is no fixtures for outriggers.

My guess is that it is a tender frame. I would further guess that with the flowers on the journal boxes that it may be a Japanese prototype.

If you like interesting I will soon have pictures of the PRR 490797

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/amtk16000.html#Photo that I am finishing up right now.

Alan www.thegalline.com
virgal@verizon.net

Wow - That will be an impressive monster.

thegalline

Registered
29 Jan 2011
Best answers
Royale

Indeed it is a large car. I built the model in 1/29th scale making the car body from coupler face to coupler face 28".

Because it is a double ender there is 2 of everything. 2 - 3 drum winches, 4 trucks, 4 - 3rd rail power pickups, 4 hinged outriggers. There are 2448 hand placed rivets, a 5 block resistor bank and over 68 sheaves. I am in the final stages of finishing her off so I can take her to the ECLSTS show this weekend. I will have pictures of the finished model in a week or so.

regards

Alan www.thegalline.com

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think they're flowers on the axel boxes but simple the shape of the cover plates for roller bearings.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Just an update on the undignified fate of the very serious wagon chassis  ;)

It seemed right that the superstructure should be made of wood and metal with a minimum of plastic parts.

I also made it so that the body and roof are removable with an interference fit, leaving the chassis unchanged.

I wanted to incorporate my old BBQ unit from my indoor layout as a `jerk pork` stand. The electrics for this are sold for smaller scales and give a glowing light which occasionally flares when the fat drops on the `flames`. It also has a smoke unit. I wanted the wagon to be independent of track power so it carries a battery pack to work the BBQ and the light.

Hopefully the pictures tell the story.

IMGP0011-(1024x576).jpg

IMGP0017-(1024x576).jpg

IMGP0020-(1024x576).jpg

IMGP0021-(1024x576).jpg

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
And here is the (almost) finished wagon - now called the `Soul Train`.

IMGP0034-(1024x576).jpg

IMGP0035-(1024x576).jpg

IMGP0036-(1024x576).jpg

IMGP0037-(1024x564).jpg

A Model Sounds `Soundblaster` unit sits in the right hand corner behind the mock speaker and gives as powerful a sound as you could wish for. The figures are Preiser, suitably modified and tinted with Mel`s oil paint technique. They are not fully dry yet so still a little shiny. The `Soul Train` lettering replicates the design used on the classic US show but still needs a bit of work to look as it should. A job for tomorrow.

I am attending an open day on Monday so this should be a nice bit of theatre, as long as the folks approve of my choice of music!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
That is extremely cool...right down to the font for "Soul Train". O0

Keith

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
And here is the (almost) finished wagon - now called the 'Soul Train'.
I am attending an open day on Monday so this should be a nice bit of theatre, as long as the folks approve of my choice of music!

A great addition to your fleet. :D
I suggest including Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark's Locomotion in your playlist. IMHO the steel band sound would complement your setting.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
A great addition to your fleet. :D
I suggest including Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark's Locomotion in your playlist. IMHO the steel band sound would complement your setting.
Thanks Neil, I'll check it out

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
That's brilliant I love it ! O0

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It looks alive! Brilliant work and thinking - and a perfect excuse for background (or to the fore) music while you work :happy:

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
A good bit of fun!

A pity no one managed to work out where the chassis came from.